We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Evaporating FASW and Reusing Lime Options

lorentz5
#1 Posted : 1/11/2010 7:52:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1. If one is using using lime, limonene, and FASW: after the first pull, when SWIM puts all of his bark back into his container to prepare for the second pull, should he add some more lime or is that unnecessary?

2. If one is lazy, and has FASW with the fumerate product captured after separating from limonene, is it possible to just leave the beaker open for a couple of days? As in, will this process eventually yield the fumerate and excess fumaric acid? (is heating to 175F or so via oven/dehydrator necessary?)
I am here
(1) For increased personal power, intellectual understanding, sharpened insight into self and culture, improvement of life situation, accelerated learning, professional growth.
(2) For duty, help of others, providing care, rehabilitation, rebirth for fellow men.
(3) For fun, sensuous enjoyment, aesthetic pleasure, interpersonal closeness, pure experience.
(4) For transcendence, liberation from ego and space-time limits; attainment of mystical union.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

amor_fati
#2 Posted : 1/11/2010 8:21:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

lorentz5 wrote:
1. If one is using using lime, limonene, and FASW: after the first pull, when SWIM puts all of his bark back into his container to prepare for the second pull, should he add some more lime or is that unnecessary?

Most likely it will take at least a few pulls to get the total yield, but if the the first pull has an exceptionally low yield, it probably hasn't been properly mixed (assuming that a sufficient amount of lime was used in the first, at least 1:2), but if this happens, it usually wouldn't hurt to add a bit more lime and water when re-mixing it. If SWIY is getting good yields right off the bat, the mixture will likely continue to give them until it's exhausted.

Quote:
2. If one is lazy, and has FASW with the fumerate product captured after separating from limonene, is it possible to just leave the beaker open for a couple of days? As in, will this process eventually yield the fumerate and excess fumaric acid? (is heating to 175F or so via oven/dehydrator necessary?)

Water can take some time to evaporate, even with large exposed surface area. SWIM uses a dehydrator at about 115F, which usually only takes several hours (generally overnight). If SWIY's serious about nontoxic extraction, especially if also considering cultivating cacti or psilocybe at all, a dehydrator with adjustable temp is an incredibly worthy investment. If SWIY chooses to do what he's mentioned, the fumaric acid will precipitate out first, and as it does it would be worthwhile to decant into successively smaller containers--until it starts taking on a very dark color and thicker viscosity--to yield a very pure and pretty crystalline fumarate product.

Dimitrius
#3 Posted : 1/11/2010 8:21:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lorentz5 wrote:

No that's not necessary. Don't do that.

lorentz5 wrote:

Eventually...yes. Water's not so fast to evaporate though.

I place mine the oven, set at 125-150F, til' it's finished. When it's juuust about dry, I turn down the heat to around 100F.

I leave the door cracked anywhere from a couple inches to several inches. Maybe even halfway open when I'm finishing up the last bit at 100F.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi