We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Different Impacts of LSD and Mushrooms and San Pedro Options

Grey Fox
#1 Posted : 7/24/2019 6:04:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Different psychedelics come to you at different stages in life, and they affect you differently based on who you are and what your life is like at that stage. How much of those different effects are caused by the attributes of a particular psychedelic and how much are caused by the life stage that one is in? These things are hard to quantify.

LSD entered my life when I was in my late teens. It was that transition point where you have to figure out how to think for yourself and decide what to do with your life. Honestly I can say that LSD was a disorienting, confusing influence. It raised so many questions about what I had been taught to believe. So much solid ground suddenly became weak and shaky. In hindsight this was not a bad thing. But it was very challenging at the time. Coming out of those experiences I decided to take a long break from psychedelics, and that break lasted for over a decade.

Next mushrooms entered my life. At this point I was an adult and had gone down the path of establishing a career and buying into a Christian worldview. But big changes had happened in my personal life, and I was finding Christianity to be less and less satisfying as a way to make sense of life. I began experimenting with mushrooms in order to fulfill a desire to explore my mind and the greater posibilities of life. Mushrooms were wonderful because they allowed for the ability to think freely and openly about new possibilities. I shed many maladaptive thought patterns. My mind was freed from the constraints of the Christian worldview. The mushrooms were so helpful in re-rooting my mind to that internal gut reality of what is and isnt true and right. I shed so much, and came out of it all being so much more open. But the answers, and the way of moving forward from there still eluded me.

Then San Pedro entered my life. It was here that I found what I had been searching for for so long. Finally my feet felt like they were back on solid ground again, and in a way that passed the internal gut check. The cactus experiences showed me that it was possible to construct a meaningful spiritual worldview that did not rely on a paternal deity. My connection to nature and to the well being of my body were strengthened so greatly. I found that it was possible to be challenged and to experience incredible joy both at the same time. It showed me a gentle way forward to recognize and work on my shortcomings. It taught me how to begin becoming a better man and friend. And that work continues. The path of the cactus feels so right. It feels like this is where I was meant to be all along. It is such a good medicine for me.

So in hindsight this is where my life experience with LSD and mushrooms and cactus currently stands. Perhaps years from now things will look very different. But right now this is my reality.

I have learned that everyone is different and is impacted by the different psychedelics in their own way. My experience with any of these substances may be very different from someone else's. But this is what I have found with how these 3 psychedelics have impacted me.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

FranLover
#2 Posted : 7/25/2019 12:44:02 PM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Nice Fox =) Do you exclusivley use San Pedro?
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

Grey Fox
#3 Posted : 7/25/2019 4:46:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi FranLover! Yes these days Trichocereus cacti are the only psychedelic I use. I find them to be very versatile. I tried microdosing bridgesii, but it wasnt really my thing. But when you go up into the perceptible range of effects the cacti experiences can vary quite a bit depending on the dosage and also depending on which cacti are used. And I'm a gardener at heart so having that connection to the living plant that becomes the medicine is very special to me.

I feel that these cacti are one of the less well understood psychedelics. Perhaps that is not a bad thing. But regardless I enjoy sharing what I am learning about them.

Have you tried cacti before? I am curious to hear other people's experiences with them as well.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

brewster
#4 Posted : 7/25/2019 8:42:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing your story. There are some parallels to my situation : I also had a psychedelic which I consumed often in my late teens, which played a pivotal role in establishing my identity - but in my case, it was mushrooms.

I also did a hiatus that was more than 10 years long and ended with me signing up in the Nexus Big grin Since I was brought up Roman-Catholic, I didn't go there again though Smile

It's great the our paths crossed here, in cyberspace.

Grey Fox
#5 Posted : 7/26/2019 2:22:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for sharing that brewster. Its good to cross paths with you here on the Nexus. Are you still using mushrooms these days? You're growing cactus too right? Have you tried cactus yet and what are your thoughts about it?
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

FranLover
#6 Posted : 7/26/2019 6:16:13 AM

Long live the world in peace, prosperity, and freedom from suffering

Grey Fox wrote:
Hi FranLover! Yes these days Trichocereus cacti are the only psychedelic I use. I find them to be very versatile. I tried microdosing bridgesii, but it wasnt really my thing. But when you go up into the perceptible range of effects the cacti experiences can vary quite a bit depending on the dosage and also depending on which cacti are used. And I'm a gardener at heart so having that connection to the living plant that becomes the medicine is very special to me.

I feel that these cacti are one of the less well understood psychedelics. Perhaps that is not a bad thing. But regardless I enjoy sharing what I am learning about them.

Have you tried cacti before? I am curious to hear other people's experiences with them as well.

Yes! Only once. It was cool but I didnt do it right. https://www.dmt-nexus.me...amp;m=947563#post947563. You commented on that thread btw =) Im trying to do it again, I have 80g san pedro reduced to two shot glasses. The hard part is drinking it. I am actually considering capping the liquid in gel caps and swallowing in order to avoid the taste, but the amount of gel caps might close at 50.

I also grow from seed and garden beautiful bridgessi and trich cacti *_* they rock.
Todo lo que quiero es que me recuerdes siempre así...amándote. Mantay kuna kayadidididi~~Ayahuasca shamudididi. Silence ○ Shiva ◇ eternal Purusha.
What we have done is establish the rule of authority in silence. Silence is the administrator of the universe. In silence is the script of Natural Law, eternally guiding the destiny of everyone. The Joy of Giving See the job. Do the job. Stay out of the misery.
May this world be established with a sense of well-being and happiness. May all beings in all worlds be blessed with peace, contentment, and freedom.
This mass of stress visible in the here & now has sensuality for its reason, sensuality for its source, sensuality for its cause, the reason being simply sensuality.

twitchy
#7 Posted : 7/26/2019 6:29:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know that older cactus are said to be more potent, but is there a minimum age for this psychoactivity, specifically with bridgesii? For example, can a feller consume three 8 inch young ones rather than 24 inches of an older one and still expect a moderately positive result, or is this just butchering younglings for no good reason? I love my cacti, and I wouldn't want to damage them at a tender age but winter commeth soon to these parts, and I am going to be making some difficult decisions this year as I'm really pressed for space indoors.
Sorry if I'm hijacking the topic, I've tried all three and definitely prefer mushrooms. Terrence was right, you have to initiate the conversation but they will speak and are the only substance of these three I felt that had it's own literal intelligence about it.
Author of this Post assumes no Responsibility, nor makes any Guarantee of the Accuracy or Validity of material in this Post. Material Contained or referred to in this Post is presented for Entertainment Purposes Only. This Material IS Not Intended to be Inferred, or Interpreted as Information, Advice, News, Instruction, or Factual Information.

Grey Fox
#8 Posted : 7/26/2019 4:34:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

FranLover wrote:

Yes! Only once. It was cool but I didnt do it right. https://www.dmt-nexus.me...amp;m=947563#post947563. You commented on that thread btw =) Im trying to do it again, I have 80g san pedro reduced to two shot glasses. The hard part is drinking it. I am actually considering capping the liquid in gel caps and swallowing in order to avoid the taste, but the amount of gel caps might close at 50.

I also grow from seed and garden beautiful bridgessi and trich cacti *_* they rock.

Ah yes I do recall that thread now. It makes me think of some of the members who used to post here about cacti not that long ago but who are not that active anymore. Sure would be nice to hear how they're doing these days.

Well I wish you all the best with your next cactus journey. Yeah the taste is pretty terrible unfortunately. If you decide to drink it then find a chaser that you really like. Lime wedges (like after a tequila shot) work pretty good. I'd love to see some of your plants one day.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Grey Fox
#9 Posted : 7/26/2019 4:36:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

twitchy wrote:
I know that older cactus are said to be more potent, but is there a minimum age for this psychoactivity, specifically with bridgesii? For example, can a feller consume three 8 inch young ones rather than 24 inches of an older one and still expect a moderately positive result, or is this just butchering younglings for no good reason? I love my cacti, and I wouldn't want to damage them at a tender age but winter commeth soon to these parts, and I am going to be making some difficult decisions this year as I'm really pressed for space indoors.
Sorry if I'm hijacking the topic, I've tried all three and definitely prefer mushrooms. Terrence was right, you have to initiate the conversation but they will speak and are the only substance of these three I felt that had it's own literal intelligence about it.

Those young cacti might do something but I wouldnt expect too much. You cant compare 24 inches of seedlings to a 24 inch cutting from a good sized plant. The diameter and overall volume will be so much more on the mature cutting. And they just seem to get stronger in general the bigger and older they get. So keep that in mind as you decide what to do for the winter. I know that cuttings are a more expensive way to go compared to seed, but if you can get a big fat cutting (15+ inches long and 3+ inches wide) and grow it out for a couple of years then you'll really have something nice for journeying.

Mushrooms are amazing. I respect all psychedelics, especially the natural ones. I think that some just "fit" with certain people more than others. Have you ever read D. M. Turner's "The Essential Psychedelic Guide"? His description of mescaline and San Pedro is pretty spot on (except for the part about Peruvianus being the strongest tricho). I guess for him and for me San Pedro is just a really good fit.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM

brewster
#10 Posted : 7/31/2019 10:23:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Grey Fox wrote:
Thanks for sharing that brewster. Its good to cross paths with you here on the Nexus. Are you still using mushrooms these days? You're growing cactus too right? Have you tried cactus yet and what are your thoughts about it?

Hey, sorry I overlooked that you replied to me Smile
I haven't had Shrooms in quite a while mostly because they now are more difficult to get than Acid or even mescaline. I'd love to revisit them, it would be very interesting to see how I perceive the Shroomy kingdom after all these years.

Yeah, I got into cactus growing. I've hat three mescaline experiences, two of them very mild, one of them more substantial, but still on the lighter scale.

My experience has been curiously twofold. The two lighter experiences have been very unique, since the visuals were of an entirely different sort than what I knew from mushrooms. Much less warping, distorting, pulsating etc, but a calm, almost meditative-opiodlike feeling of bliss an calm. Visual impressions were much more intense but not directly distorted.

All in all, I was very well able to handle myself, yet the experiences were very impressive all in all. I might add that the cacti were not optimal: They're probably Cuzco-Peruvianus hybrids. Not very powerful, I had a loooooot of material.

Especially for the medium-size trip: I ate alsmost 1kg of flesh, and I mean the dark green flesh, I left the core and skin out entirely. This trip was significantly stronger and much closer to LSD in almost every sense. But I had only a few LSD experiences.

My personal conclusion is that, at least for me, the trips are so different from each other individually that this variation seems to be so large that it's hard to say how the type of psychedelic affects the whole dynamic. They don't seem to be thaat far apart. I would not choose one over the other, necessarily.

One thing that makes cactus so special for me is that I have a relation to the plant. I've had them for years and years, watched them grow and then decided to take a part of them. That is very different than the other two - even if you grow the shrooms yourself, it takes a few days and they're ready.

But my personal position is that this mostly is effective in influencing my set and subconscious expectations to the trip. I'm merely speculating, though... who knows Smile

Grey Fox
#11 Posted : 7/31/2019 4:52:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One of the differences about the cactus that I really appreciate is the length and long term effects of the experience.

I remember LSD (this is from the late 1990's) lasting a good amount of time but then leaving me with a burnt out "mentally fried" feeling for a few days. The LSD experience was quite visual (surprisingly HBWR produced similar, LSD-like visuals for me). Faces morphing, lightning bolts circling the periphery of my visual field, every leaf on a tree popping with incredible detail, etc. But the whole experience had a harsh, metallic feel to it. My brain was so fried afterwards. It felt like fireworks and creativity and mental stimulation, but my mental energy was being burnt up at an incredible rate. So draining and very little concrete application to hold onto afterwards.

Mushrooms were briefer, and I could feel the different phases as they kicked in: coming up now, peaking now, plateau now, coming down now. Mushrooms always left me feeling foggy and cloudy headed at big doses. I would get confused and sometimes be caught in thought loops that would go on and on. One time I was out in the desert under a big rock overhang which created shade. I looked down by my feet and saw that I was standing next to a pile a of deer bones. My whole body froze and was gripped in panic that I was in a mountain lion's den. I was locked up with terror that it would soon return and attack me. After about 5 minutes of frozen terror I looked down again and realized that the "bones" were just a pile of sticks. My mind had played a trick on me. There's something about mushrooms that is foggy and confusing and lends itself to thought loops and wrong ideas. At least that was my experience, especially at the higher doses. The after effect was never harsh or burnt out, like with LSD. But there was a feeling of clarity and sharpness returning to my mental faculities in the days afterwards.

With cactus there is a mental clarity to the experience, even at high doses. I've gone very high with cactus before, even to the point of being unable to move and going in and out of mental awareness. But when I am aware, no matter how deep I am or how much the world around me is transformed, nevertheless my mind feels sharp and quick. I may be limited in terms of what my mind is able to understand at that moment, but the things to which it can focus on shine through with great clariry. And that clarity lasts as a continuum coming out of the trip and into the days and weeks following the trip. There is a nootropic feel to the cactus. Like brain cells and neuropathways are being strengthened and forged (pure conjecture of course). I understand why traditionally San Pedro has been considered to be a wise grandfather that guides you. That clarity and mental strengthening stand out during the experience and stay with you afterwards. All of my strongest cactus trips have been with bridgesii or with a combo of species that included bridgesii. It can be rough on the body, but its pure gold for the mind.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

brewster
#12 Posted : 8/2/2019 3:59:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Very interesting read.

I mean, Shrooms are the only drug I have rather extensive experience with in a wide range of dosages. And my impression is also that they have a stronger disssociative effect at times, and that the trips can be crazier, more hectic, weirder.
At the same time, there is a certain groundedness in the intense feelings that I have always used as an achor, acid didn't have that. While I can very much relate to fear-inducing, confusing states on shrooms, on acid, my thoughts went in such weird ways as I hadn't experienced before.
I always had quite a hangover from shrooms though, and was surprised at how well-rested, relaxed, clean-feeling I came out of the LSD trip.

I'd love to experience a higher dose of cactus. I hope that I can organize this in the months to come.

Grey Fox
#13 Posted : 8/2/2019 4:41:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thats interesting. I guess everyone is affected differently by these chemicals and there are many factors that come into play.

I wish you all the best with your future cactus experiences. If you are ever able to get your hands on some good sized bridgesii it should deliver the strong cactus experience you're looking for. Try to get fat cuttings and push it to 18+ inches brewed all day into a tea. And hold on for the ride. I'd be real interested to hear your thoughts about how a trip like that goes.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

TexasTrichocereus
#14 Posted : 8/3/2019 4:02:13 PM

Stay humble don’t stumble

Fungi opened up a door and it never closed. I learned a lot that 1st time, a new chapter of life was started. Some lessons were happy go lucky, some somber, harsh, etc.

Cacti has consumed me from that 1st cup. But not the way pharmaceuticals can consume a person in a terrible addiction. The cacti has gripped me in growing, tending, caring, spreading its medicine and blessings. In the heyday of my buddies trying plants and substances with me cacti treated everyone in a positive meaningful way (after the tea was drank) looking back it makes me smile that friends jumped into the unknown with me drinking such a terrible tasting cup.

Grey Fox
#15 Posted : 8/3/2019 5:23:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The cactus is such a great medicine. I feel like it heals the body and mind. It produces joy and clarity in me. Thats awesome that you introduced your friends to it and they had positive experiences. Thumbs up People should know that there are ancient ways like this to think and find meaning and explore the human experience to its fullest.
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

brewster
#16 Posted : 8/14/2019 1:03:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Grey Fox wrote:
I'd be real interested to hear your thoughts about how a trip like that goes.

I'm working on that, actually Smile It will take some time, but when it happens, I will report back Smile It's likely to be a monstrose, though.

pete666
#17 Posted : 8/14/2019 10:41:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Late response, but I have to react, though expect a bit different point of view than usual Smile

I have quite extensive experience with mushrooms and lsd, mescaline is quite new to me (just year or two), so I think I can compare them, of course subjectively.

My life was fulfilled with magic and these substances were the tools to get things into the motion. They allowed me to realize how this reality works, what powers are behind our consciousness and what is the real intelligence in our world. Yes, it is not a human, regarldess of his arrogance and egoism.

I have used shrooms and lsd when the intensity of magic in my life was maximal. They are both powerfull tools, with one big difference to me. With the right intent, they can both help to reach what is desired. But lsd is just the device to get me where I want to be. No added value. No intelligent driver, who knows where to go and where not to. Not to say there is no intelligence within lsd, there is. It just allows much more. Which is not very good when playing with magic. The ability to materialize something is just a half here. The missing half of the toolbox is the knowledge what we can materialize and what we should avoid.

Mushrooms are different. With the same ability to materialize, they explain what is the real reason of our wishes. They explain what is important and what is not. They show why our desires are just empty bubbles when they are not right, deep, real.
Yes, they can be tricky, but this is just the most visible layer of information. Who thinks a bit more, realizes that under this layer, there is another one, narrating the story and the trickiness is just a veil to cover it. Story about the life. Our life.
Mushrooms can allow us to materialize anyting, as far as it is in accordance with our higher ourself. Because of that, they are much more valuable compared to lsd. They are the true medicine, lsd not imho(e).

And here goes the cacti. I can't compare it to lsd and shrooms in terms of magic and its ability to serve a tool to materialize anything, as I am in very different part of my life.
Through the last 20 years, I have shifted from the brain to another parts of my body or rather soul when accepting information both from outside and inside. I follow the feelings much much more and very often I don't need the rational explanation, which was the case when I was younger. I have learnt to trust in this feeling inside of me, because I believe I have connected with my right life energy. Someone calls it the Source.

Cacti fits directly and precisely into this point of the connection of my body and soul. It's hard to describe this even in my native language, so almost impossible to do so in English. It is not as mentally intensive or reality shattering as mushrooms usually are. I can't even say that the experience itself is overall sensationally or emotionally pleasant. Maybe rather unpleasant.

But there is much more than just the experience. There is the feeling everything is right once the experience finishes. The feeling of the healing process. The feeling my physical body is connecting back to my soul. To my higher self. To the Source.

Life bless you for this sacred medicine.

Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.