We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT now found in brain. Options

goddard
#1 Posted : 6/30/2019 11:57:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the discussion we had forever is now decided Smile

https://medicalxpress.co...lic-compound-brains.html
“Close your eyes and let the mind expand. Let no fear of death or darkness arrest its course. Allow the mind to merge with Mind. Let it flow out upon the great curve of consciousness. Let it soar on the wings of the great bird of duration, up to the very Circle of Eternity.”
― Hermes Trismegistus

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Aum_Shanti
#2 Posted : 6/30/2019 12:03:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Already in discussion here:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=995631#post995631

Funnily it actually IMHO gave rather the final death blow to Strassman's hypothesis.

I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 7/1/2019 4:52:17 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

in rat brains?

hmm..
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#4 Posted : 7/1/2019 4:55:07 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

>90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. It would be far more plausible that dmt production would be there, and in the surrounding peripheral tissues (lungs, heart, and adrenal glands). those tissues are where the cDNA transcripts for INMT have been isolated, from human epithelial cells.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

soul-explorer
#5 Posted : 7/1/2019 9:11:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"Their goal: to partake in a brewed concoction made from a vine plant Banisteriopsis caapi, traditionally used by indigenous people for sacred religious ceremonies."

They left out the DMT plant ...

Jagube
#6 Posted : 7/1/2019 12:44:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
>90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. It would be far more plausible that dmt production would be there

What about the MAO in the gut, doesn't it destroy the serotonin and wouldn't it destroy the DMT?

benzyme
#7 Posted : 7/1/2019 2:25:18 PM

analytical chemist

Jagube wrote:
benzyme wrote:
>90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. It would be far more plausible that dmt production would be there

What about the MAO in the gut, doesn't it destroy the serotonin and wouldn't it destroy the DMT?

if by destroy you mean oxidize/metabolize, then yes.

MAO-A is abundant, particularly in the liver, as blood passes through it metabolizing many different compounds. Endogenous levels of trace amines, such as DMT, are several magnitudes lower (1000-10000-fold) than active doses, and are rapidly metabolized by MAO-A. This is why even active doses must be taken efficiently to experience the full effect at the raphe nuclei in the brain.

Jagube
#8 Posted : 7/1/2019 3:00:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok, I was confused that the body would produce serotonin (or, in fact, DMT) in the gut where the MAO-A would immediately metabolize it. It seems counterproductive to produce something and immediately metabolize it before it gets a chance to do anything, but I was wrongly assuming it had to make it to the brain to 'do something'. So I take it the serotonin and DMT produced in the gut are used in the gut, and exist for as long as they need to, even if that's minutes or even seconds.

benzyme
#9 Posted : 7/1/2019 3:13:01 PM

analytical chemist

Jagube wrote:
Ok, I was confused that the body would produce serotonin (or, in fact, DMT) in the gut where the MAO-A would immediately metabolize it. It seems counterproductive to produce something and immediately metabolize it before it gets a chance to do anything, but I was wrongly assuming it had to make it to the brain to 'do something'. So I take it the serotonin and DMT produced in the gut are used in the gut, and exist for as long as they need to, even if that's minutes or even seconds.

well, serotonin does signal in the gut...that's where most 5HT3 receptors are, and they are responsible for nausea.

the answer lies in the human genome expressing Tryptophan metabolism: serotonin is preferred product in the pathway, and isn't as rapidly metabolized as side products such as simple tryptamines (NMT, DMT, etc.); this aspect also applies to production. The side-reaction pathway that would produce those simple tryptamines is normally inhibited/inactive.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...um/default.aspx?g=search enter KEGG Pathway into the posts field

damn...reading my old posts, I came off as rude and impatient. That's not me, dawg. Not anymore, anyway. I'm much more accessible to questions/explanations. Big grin

benzyme
#10 Posted : 7/2/2019 2:34:59 PM

analytical chemist

wow, can’t believe I didn’t catch this before...
see that EC# in the upper right, lacking a prefix? 2.1.1.-
that’s 5-HOIMT, 5-Hydroxyindoleethylamine methyltransferase.
that one is expressed in the brain, and converts serotonin to mexamine (5-methoxy-tryptamine).

of course, the brain/dmt production theory has been a matter of great debate.
here is one of many good threads on it.