We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What type of thermometer for use with hotplate? Options

sameoldsongam
#1 Posted : 12/31/2009 12:43:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got a hotplate. The temperature dial on it is on a scale of 1-10. I understand the max it heats to is around 475F. What type of thermometer is best for determining the temperature of a liquid being heated? What type of thermometer would be best for determining the temperature of a solid being heated and how exactly would you do this? Thanks in advance for any info. Smile

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 12/31/2009 1:26:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

get yourself an IR therm...
it's a sound

sameoldsongam
#3 Posted : 12/31/2009 6:49:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome! thanks for the helpful replies jorkest and mombreast.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 12/31/2009 7:42:00 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

mombreast wrote:

(IR thermo cannot take the temperature of metal directly.)

why not?

as long as the metal is not reflective, it should give a good reading.
mine reads up to 986F, that's 530C. my hotplate maxes out at 450C
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#5 Posted : 12/31/2009 3:52:23 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

it's an issue of emissivity.
the IR therm measures the emission of black body radiation from a surface, and different materials have different values.

it will be different for, say, a reflective aluminum surface vs. a ceramic surface, which most hot plate surfaces are.
the latter isn't reflective.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Jorkest
#6 Posted : 12/31/2009 5:15:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

IR therms have saved my hands from burns many times...its also very nice to get a quick reading of AROUND what the temperature is...just use the IR therm alll over the place and you get an idea of how hot your experiment is
it's a sound