We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Microdoses of DMT treat depression and anxiety in rats, study finds Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 5/5/2019 12:01:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Drugs capable of ameliorating symptoms of depression and anxiety while also improving cognitive function and sociability are highly desirable. Anecdotal reports have suggested that serotonergic psychedelics administered in low doses on a chronic, intermittent schedule, so-called “microdosing”, might produce beneficial effects on mood, anxiety, cognition, and social interaction. Here, we test this hypothesis by subjecting male and female Sprague Dawley rats to behavioral testing following the chronic, intermittent administration of low doses of the psychedelic N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT). The behavioral and cellular effects of this dosing regimen were distinct from those induced following a single high dose of the drug. We found that chronic, intermittent, low doses of DMT produced an antidepressant-like phenotype and enhanced fear extinction learning without impacting working memory or social interaction. Additionally, male rats treated with DMT on this schedule gained a significant amount of body weight during the course of the study. Taken together, our results suggest that psychedelic microdosing may alleviate symptoms of mood and anxiety disorders, though the potential hazards of this practice warrant further investigation.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi...21/acschemneuro.8b00692#

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

JKW
#2 Posted : 5/5/2019 5:12:32 PM

Like a stone in the shoe...

I have successfully used DMT to counter my depression. Even when shut out of the full experience, my mood gets much better.

Jagube
#3 Posted : 5/5/2019 7:33:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pleased to hear and thank you, I thought it was only rats Pleased

JKW
#4 Posted : 5/5/2019 8:58:23 PM

Like a stone in the shoe...

Jagube wrote:
Pleased to hear and thank you, I thought it was only rats Pleased

Psychedelics along with my normal medication have worked well so far.

lsrvnt
#5 Posted : 5/5/2019 10:08:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have found dmt too be the most helpful most beneficial treatment to my social anxiety and life anxiety. It always puts me straight into a meditative place when done with that intention. It had the power to make me 100 times more genuine and honest both with my family and friends when I first tried it. all of those experiences were both healing and the most profoundly beautiful things I have ever seen. It showed me so much about the kind of thoughts I was having and how the were effecting my life. It helped humble me to my core and both raise me to my full potential in my daily life.

HOWEVER

once I received the answers to those questions I had no reason to keep asking for the same answers twice. I wanted to go for very broad reasons however the deeper I went the more I found that my questions were selfish because they were all focused on myself. It felt like those questions were not the answers I should be seeking with such a powerful method and substance.

I think too small of a dose cannot really show you what you need to see and provide the concrete way to solve your problems in your life. It may make you feel a little better for a while however I think its in the proper dose and serious intention that you really get the transformative effects. there has to be a desire to change. I think dmt becomes a infinite expanse of answers and answer riddled experiences however to apply the changes you have to take what you learned seriously and put it into action.

I think we all need to be reminded sometimes but It is my belief that with the proper intention you will find the dose you need to fulfil that intention then the rest is up to you.

the image attached is a depiction of a small moment in what could be a transformative experience.

Cactus Man
#6 Posted : 5/25/2019 10:24:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

what is the source of the rats depression/anxiety though?

Jagube
#7 Posted : 5/26/2019 1:46:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cactus Man wrote:

Maybe they showed them a news report on TV.

But seriously, typically in animal studies depression and anxiety are induced through stress.
More on animal models of depression: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC3270071/

Fear is induced through fear conditioning:

Quote:
In fear conditioning, a neutral stimulus such as a tone is paired with an aversive event like a shock; after a few trials the rats will exhibit an emotional response to the tone. APS Fellow Michael Davis, a Robert W. Woodruff professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory, and other researchers have shown that when the amygdala is damaged, the rats will no longer exhibit a fear response to the tone.

Cactus Man
#8 Posted : 5/26/2019 5:12:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:
Cactus Man wrote:

Maybe they showed them a news report on TV.

But seriously, typically in animal studies depression and anxiety are induced through stress.
More on animal models of depression: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC3270071/

Fear is induced through fear conditioning:

Quote:
In fear conditioning, a neutral stimulus such as a tone is paired with an aversive event like a shock; after a few trials the rats will exhibit an emotional response to the tone. APS Fellow Michael Davis, a Robert W. Woodruff professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory, and other researchers have shown that when the amygdala is damaged, the rats will no longer exhibit a fear response to the tone.

guess we arent so different from them, eh?