We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Spice = Dune? Options

M12463
#41 Posted : 2/4/2014 1:31:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so i read dune in middle school before expanding my mind... lol. but i recently reread dune not long after my first experience with dmt and after rereading dune (the first one... the other ones are ok but someone else was right that they get a little weird and drawn out later) the first thing that came to my mind when reading dune was spice = DMT!
there are however some very big differences between spice melange and "elf spice" of course the addiction point has been brought up... but like 69ron was saying dmt wasnt very popular when dune was written. but i remember seeing something (possibly even on this forum Big grin ) that said that when T McKenna was looking into dmt he got a report from a friend saying that it was addictive and could cause capillaries to burst in the eye (maybe part of the blue eye thing solved?) so back when dune was written DMT was not very popular and there very well could have been a misconception that DMT was addictive. so just keep in mind that spice melange and elf spice may not be the same thing. however anyone who has done DMT or any other hallucinogen (only tried shrooms hereVery happy ) should see the immediate connections and similarities between melange and DMT. especially the seeing time and previous lives i mean if that doesnt sound like elf spice i dont know what does!

be safe all and try to stay happy!Very happy
M12463=MIRAGE which is all i am...

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Metanoia
#42 Posted : 2/4/2014 10:33:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well this is a blast from the past.

Alas, the new Dune movie fizzled out and died before pre-production began.

Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are still writing books in the Dune series, however. The newest installment is set to be released in March this year.

Now, after having more years of experience with DMT and in particular with Ayahuasca, I'm more inclined to lean that way. It is the "Spice Melange" after all, melange meaning "mixture". The healing and invigorating properties of the fictional spice, the long life...seems to be more in tune with Ayahuasca than vaporized DMT.

Cinnamon, which the fictional spice is said to smell and taste of, is actually fairly bitter. Dark brown and bitter...much like a reduced Ayahuasca brew. Smile

Frank Herbert worked many jobs during his lifetime. He worked as a jungle survival instructor Smile He was a big a supporter of the environmentalist movement. There is no doubt he was aware of traditional shamanic uses of mind altering plants.

I've always been a sci-fi geek. But Dune really captured my imagination in a way no other story ever has. I still have yet to come across something as original as "The Spice" from Dune. An awareness drug which an entire economy, even an entire civilization, revolves around. Some could argue that Herbert may have been saying something about fossil fuels. And that he may have. But the whole Spice Melange idea is far more complex than that. I think he incorporated several different ideas into one, which makes it something truly unique.

SKA
#43 Posted : 2/5/2014 2:22:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't think dune's spice was inspired on DMT either, but I certainly see some parallels.

I thought it was Terrence McKenna who first coined the term "elf spice" as a nickname for DMT.
Or did he get that term from someone else? Who first discovered the psychoactive effects of smoalked or injected DMT?
Was that Tristan Szara? Who knows he or one of the first few people to smoalk/inject dmt after him coined that term for DMT and Terrence borrowed it from them?

nen888
#44 Posted : 2/5/2014 6:10:21 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..enjoyed Metanoia's summary of melange..
yes there's a reference near the end of Chapter House to effective medicines being bitter..

to address the ridiculous (imo) comments by 69ron earlier:

we are told in Dune: the Spice expands consciousness..

there is quite a high chance Frank Herbert was aware of DMT in 1965 (particularly ayahuasca)

Stephen Szára was the first scientist to report the effects of DMT (by injection) in 1956, after it had been found to be a major component of Yopo seed snuffs..

there was interest in yage/ayhuasca in the late 50s....particularly in academic/literary/psychology /beatnik circles..
e.g. William Burroughs was aware of it when he wrote The Naked Lunch in 1959..

the first person to smoke DMT was apparently Nick Sand in 1961..

Terence McKenna was introduced to DMT at Berkley in 1965..

(i should summarize this history again in another thread, but it's all been mentioned, in scatterings in the nexus)

SKA
#45 Posted : 2/5/2014 11:41:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
..enjoyed Metanoia's summary of melange..
yes there's a reference near the end of Chapter House to effective medicines being bitter..

to address the ridiculous (imo) comments by 69ron earlier:

we are told in Dune: the Spice expands consciousness..

there is quite a high chance Frank Herbert was aware of DMT in 1965 (particularly ayahuasca)

Stephen Szára was the first scientist to report the effects of DMT (by injection) in 1956, after it had been found to be a major component of Yopo seed snuffs..

there was interest in yage/ayhuasca in the late 50s....particularly in academic/literary/psychology /beatnik circles..
e.g. William Burroughs was aware of it when he wrote The Naked Lunch in 1959..

the first person to smoke DMT was apparently Nick Sand in 1961..

Terence McKenna was introduced to DMT at Berkley in 1965..

(i should summarize this history again in another thread, but it's all been mentioned, in scatterings in the nexus)

Ah yeah STEPHEN Szára was his name. Now I'm wondering how it is I thought his first name was Tristan Razz

What did either the Dune books or games have to say about the method in which Dune's spice is consumed?

Metanoia
#46 Posted : 2/5/2014 4:56:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SKA wrote:
What did either the Dune books or games have to say about the method in which Dune's spice is consumed?

In the first Dune novel the main character Muad'Dib takes pellets of it, a more concentrated form, to induce prescient visions. The Fremen include it in all of their foods. They drink Spice coffee and Spice beer Smile There is no mention of smoking it throughout all of the Dune novels, at least that I've seen. I've read every Dune book published more than once, but I suppose I still could have missed a smoking reference. Highly unlikely though Pleased

Then there's The Water of Life, which is the liquid that a sandworm vomits just before dying of drowning. It is a poison that will kill, but the Reverend Mothers drink it and with their own body's metabolism convert the poison into a safe drinkable form. This conversion becomes a catalyst and all the Water of Life is changed so that an entire community of Fremen can partake of the Spice orgy Big grin It has obvious similarities to an Ayahuasca circle, IMO. Not necessarily big orgies, but when a community drinks The Water of Life they have a "sharing", sort of a psychic phenomenon where they can "feel" each other. Brings them closer together as a people and is an outlet for frustrated or negative energies (again, much like Ayahuasca). The Water of Life has another function as well, beyond the everyday person's intoxication. When a person wishes to become a Reverend Mother, the final test is if that person can "see through" The Water of Life. If they can successfully convert the poison, hence saving themselves from death, they become a true Reverend Mother.

It's a rather complicated and fascinating subject. Definitely worth a read by any who journey with Ayahuasca, or DMT.

The Black Cat
#47 Posted : 2/9/2014 5:30:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Metanoia wrote:

Then there's The Water of Life, which is the liquid that a sandworm vomits just before dying of drowning. It is a poison that will kill, but the Reverend Mothers drink it and with their own body's metabolism convert the poison into a safe drinkable form. This conversion becomes a catalyst and all the Water of Life is changed so that an entire community of Fremen can partake of the Spice orgy Big grin It has obvious similarities to an Ayahuasca circle, IMO.

I understand that when the Amanita Muscaria is ingested in a traditional ceremony(in parts of Russia) that the shaman would drink it first and thus removes the suffering and negative aspects of the mushroom. Removing the poison so to speak so that the community could enjoy the purified form in the shamans urine.

Metanoia
#48 Posted : 2/9/2014 6:18:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HerosJourney wrote:
Metanoia wrote:

Then there's The Water of Life, which is the liquid that a sandworm vomits just before dying of drowning. It is a poison that will kill, but the Reverend Mothers drink it and with their own body's metabolism convert the poison into a safe drinkable form. This conversion becomes a catalyst and all the Water of Life is changed so that an entire community of Fremen can partake of the Spice orgy Big grin It has obvious similarities to an Ayahuasca circle, IMO.

I understand that when the Amanita Muscaria is ingested in a traditional ceremony(in parts of Russia) that the shaman would drink it first and thus removes the suffering and negative aspects of the mushroom. Removing the poison so to speak so that the community could enjoy the purified form in the shamans urine.

Yes, that's another comparison you can make! Obviously Herbert was aware of some of these shamanic practices. I do believe The Spice of Dune is multilayered in meaning. He was a brilliant author.

universecannon
#49 Posted : 2/9/2014 7:04:19 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

If what some people say about mono-atomic gold is true then it seems it would fit that description moreso than even DMT Very happy

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Ishtar_Etc
#50 Posted : 2/16/2014 2:06:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've really been meaning to re-read "Dune" since having a few mystical experiences. I read it maybe 5 year's ago, and it instantly became my favorite book. That being said, I could only appreciate the spiritual aspects of the book on an intellectual level. I think I might get more out of it should I read it again.

Anyway, I always thought spice was kind of supposed to be like oil in a way, though obviously not solely representative of oil as it is more than a material resource.

indydude19
#51 Posted : 2/16/2014 3:01:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Never heard of the Dune series before reading this thread... I will have to check it out now, seems like some good reads!
I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I became human. Then why fear disappearance through death? Next time I shall die, Bring forth wings and feathers like angels; After that, soaring higher than angels-- What you cannot imagine, I shall be that.

Any speakings written are the purely fictional ramblings of an illiterate grande taco, and are false in the face of truth when judged by the all-father. They are in no way real.

V1rusH0st
#52 Posted : 2/16/2014 8:47:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love the Dune series with a passion, especially the book Dune. I like to believe that spice is a moniker that came from that. The similarities as the first response said are so similar. Mind expansion, transcending space/time, getting answers, knowing yourself. All these things both the spice Melange and DMT spice share.

Cool thread. Cool

Candiety
#53 Posted : 2/16/2014 8:50:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

There is symbolism in everything. I'd imagine that on some level, the reason it's called spice is because of the TV series and the reason spice exists in the TV series is because of DMT.

Additionally though, I've just realised/remembered that I haven't seen/read Dune! Downloading the series now. Hopefully it's as good as the books appear, though I can't say I have high hopes. Sure I would have seen it, though there is hope!

Metanoia
#54 Posted : 2/17/2014 8:04:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Personally I enjoyed the made-for-TV miniseries of Dune and Children of Dune. They're not multimillion dollar budget Hollywood movies, but they follow the books well enough to be very entertaining. The old David Lynch Dune film from 1984 is....different Very happy Dune fans either love it or hate it. I myself am the latter.

Orion
#55 Posted : 2/17/2014 7:29:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Candiety wrote:
There is symbolism in everything. I'd imagine that on some level, the reason it's called spice is because of the TV series and the reason spice exists in the TV series is because of DMT.

Additionally though, I've just realised/remembered that I haven't seen/read Dune! Downloading the series now. Hopefully it's as good as the books appear, though I can't say I have high hopes. Sure I would have seen it, though there is hope!

You know Frank Herbert wrote the hexalogy first right? But yeah I think of Dune when I hear the term 'spice'. But I think mystical spice seems like it might be a common plot device in many fairytales and such.

Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

nlong1189
#56 Posted : 3/5/2014 7:41:42 AM

I exist as I am, that is enough.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW!!!

Doodazzle
#57 Posted : 3/5/2014 7:31:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I was just looking for info on the new dune movie--the one that got cancelled, or didn't. Still not sure.

But hold on....so, in the 1970's some director spent years trying to get a dune movie together. And the movie was supposed to involve--Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, Pink Floyd, Magma, Giger (set design) and Dali (acting, playing a villain). Damn.

So there's a new documentary about this dune movie that wasn't:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.co...lvador-dali-orson-680511
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

downwardsfromzero
#58 Posted : 3/5/2014 9:00:38 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's another 'spice melange' for you:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=47066

"The spice must flow!":

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=53321

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Metanoia
#59 Posted : 3/6/2014 3:04:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Doodazzle wrote:
So I was just looking for info on the new dune movie--the one that got cancelled, or didn't. Still not sure.

But hold on....so, in the 1970's some director spent years trying to get a dune movie together. And the movie was supposed to involve--Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, Pink Floyd, Magma, Giger (set design) and Dali (acting, playing a villain). Damn.

So there's a new documentary about this dune movie that wasn't:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.co...lvador-dali-orson-680511

This is a great topic of interest for hardcore Dune fans like myself Smile If Jodorowsky's vision of Dune had been realized it could have been monumental. There's all kinds of artwork and storyboards and such from that project all over the web. And with Paramount now scrapping the new Dune film, what else do we have to talk about? Very happy

ichabod
#60 Posted : 2/10/2016 12:52:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Apparently, according to one of FH friends, The Spice in Dune was insired by magic mushrooms....

PREV1234NEXT