We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
My Salvia Options

Bassface
#1 Posted : 12/25/2009 6:49:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I thought I would introduce you all to my sally. She is still young but has been growing like crazy these past few weeks. This picture is from a week ago.
Bassface attached the following image(s):
DSCN0800.JPG (735kb) downloaded 209 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

g13juggalo
#2 Posted : 12/25/2009 7:15:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Really nice. Especially if its young. Mines been growing really slow, but has sped up lately.

jamie
#3 Posted : 12/25/2009 7:19:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

looks great!..very healthy..looks like it likes the environment..just stay away from misting the plant and it should grow into a big healthy mother for cuttings..

I lost a plant to misting once..now I never mist mine and I have 5 plants..a few of them are nearly 5 feet.
Long live the unwoke.

g13juggalo
#4 Posted : 12/25/2009 10:02:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

fractal enchantment wrote:
looks great!..very healthy..looks like it likes the environment..just stay away from misting the plant and it should grow into a big healthy mother for cuttings..

I lost a plant to misting once..now I never mist mine and I have 5 plants..a few of them are nearly 5 feet.

Could you elaborate?
I didn't think misting could harm them.

jamie
#5 Posted : 12/25/2009 11:49:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

misting the plants creates powder mold ont he leaves eventaully. I would highly recommend not misting your salvia plants..they dont need it..they will become accustomed to the humidity level of your house or whatever..just make sure you water them enough...dont let them dry out and droop and dont overwater so much that you get root rot.

When I first started growing I read that they liked misting..but they dont..people say this becasue salvia grows in a cloud forest where it is humid..but misting the plant in a dryer atmosphere does NOT replicate a cloud forest..

Basically you are doing the same thing to your plants that gives you chapped lips..and it makes it so eary for powder mold to start forming on the leaves.

My plants seem to like being rained on a bit in the summer(I keep them outside inthe summer)..but after a rainstorm the air is humid as well..misting an indoor plant is like causing it to go from one extreme to the other..
Long live the unwoke.

Bassface
#6 Posted : 12/26/2009 12:01:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, I mist a few time a day, but I also keep the plant at ambient humidity. Do you have any sources for this, or is it based on personal experience? Regardless, I'm glad you all like the plant. She has had a hard life while her owner figured out what she wanted, but I think I've got things fairly well figured out.

jamie
#7 Posted : 12/26/2009 12:16:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I killed a plant from misting it like 4 or 5 times a day..there are lots of experienced salvia growers in the salvia section of the edot forums and everyone suggested to stop misting my salvia..since I stopped I have not had those same problems with salvia.
Long live the unwoke.

g13juggalo
#8 Posted : 12/26/2009 12:27:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

fractal enchantment wrote:
misting the plants creates powder mold ont he leaves eventaully. I would highly recommend not misting your salvia plants..they dont need it..they will become accustomed to the humidity level of your house or whatever..just make sure you water them enough...dont let them dry out and droop and dont overwater so much that you get root rot.

When I first started growing I read that they liked misting..but they dont..people say this becasue salvia grows in a cloud forest where it is humid..but misting the plant in a dryer atmosphere does NOT replicate a cloud forest..

Basically you are doing the same thing to your plants that gives you chapped lips..and it makes it so eary for powder mold to start forming on the leaves.

My plants seem to like being rained on a bit in the summer(I keep them outside inthe summer)..but after a rainstorm the air is humid as well..misting an indoor plant is like causing it to go from one extreme to the other..

I heard misting was unnessary, and that it was best to just get them used to low humidity, but I did it anyway as I like to do anything possible for them.
Would cutting them off from misting be okay if I mist them twice or 3 times a day? or should I mist less for now and then stop?

jamie
#9 Posted : 12/26/2009 12:31:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would slowly get them accustomed to the humidy levels they are in..so just slowly taper off the misting.
Long live the unwoke.

universecannon
#10 Posted : 12/26/2009 5:49:57 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Nice plants!

My salvia plant didn't last long Sad.. after reading this it seems like it was due to over misting
I was in a real dry environment and i'd read to mist it alot

Fractal how often would you suggest watering say a 4-5 inch plant in one day? I was clueless. It started to wilt and turn dark and wet on the end of the leaves so i cut back the watering and misting but it continued, maybe root rot. I'm a plant nOOb!

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Bassface
#11 Posted : 12/27/2009 1:46:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

You need to let the soil dry out in between waterings. Poke your finger into the soil and if it feels dry at about an inch deep, you can water. It is really important to use a free draining soil mix. I use a 1:1 mix of soil and perlite.

jamie
#12 Posted : 12/27/2009 1:54:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

"wet on the end of the leaves"

Yea misting in non humid environments tends to do that to it..
Like said above..let it dry out inbetween watering but dont let it wilt alot and wither etc..
Long live the unwoke.

Bassface
#13 Posted : 12/28/2009 11:36:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here are some new pics from this afternoon.

Phlux-
#14 Posted : 12/29/2009 3:49:00 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

if a salvia is grown in high humidity, it gets huge luxuriant leaves, if grown dryer, they are slightly smaller.
When moving a plant from a high humidity area to a low humidity area it is normal for it to drop off some leaves and develop new ones.
Salvia as a plant is very adaptable - the individual leaves are not.
Salvia doesnt need to be babied half as much as ppl think and if u live in the right climate you can just toss it out in the garden like any other plant.(just choose a spot carefully)

random post but hopefully usefull to someone.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

'Coatl
#15 Posted : 12/30/2009 12:58:20 AM

Teotzlcoatl

Ya seriously, good post Phlux, Salvia divinorum can adjust to all kinds of conditions, mine are growing with my cacti in almost zero humidity!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

Virola78
#16 Posted : 12/30/2009 3:11:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pretty plants.
Any1 putting them in the wild?

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Bassface
#17 Posted : 1/23/2010 4:09:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

She is starting to get bushy now!

Xt
#18 Posted : 1/24/2010 7:15:45 PM

Beautiful! Have you had a date with her at all?

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

Bassface
#19 Posted : 1/25/2010 5:03:19 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Unfortunately, not yet. I want to let her get fairly large before I start picking leaves off of her.

Bassface
#20 Posted : 3/7/2010 8:29:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry for the poor picture, but I couldn't get the lighting right inside my closet. I'm going to build a shelf for the plants soon so I have room to spread them out.

12NEXT