We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Critique my straight shooter design Options

Elrik
#1 Posted : 12/19/2018 6:52:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have little experience with straight shooters and no experience with 'chore boy' pipes so I'd like to double check that I have dimensions and concepts within reasonable tolerances before I make any chips.
My aim is to cocoon a DMT dose in the middle of some chore boy, heat the outside of the bowl, and then smoke it up applying, preferably, a torch lighter to the end to heat the air going in.
I designed this pipe to make out of surgical steel. It'll be 8cm long, the bowl will have an inside diameter of 1 cm and a depth of 2.5 cm followed by a 3 mm tube through the rest of the pipe. The central tumbler is isolated from the bowl to stop heat flow and it'll be given a 'soft-hex' faceting, a dodecagon in which only every other facet is flat, this is so I can easily roll the pipe in my fingers to warm the outside of the bowl while exhaling, the mouthpiece will be nice thick metal that wont heat up too fast and will likely have a full dodecagonical faceting just to make it sparkle Pleased
I have no doubt I can make it pretty, my question is are there any practical issues in this design? Smile
Elrik attached the following image(s):
200_8667.jpg (14kb) downloaded 122 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nydex
#2 Posted : 12/19/2018 9:00:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, practical design. So your idea is to stuff the spice in the middle piece that's separated from the other two, and heat the air going in from the opening? If spice melts and leaks through the chore boy and into the corners of that middle part it might be difficult to vaporize, since air is not passing directly through it? Maybe incrasing the angle of that corner would be good? Right now it looks like 80-ish degrees, maybe increase that to 110? It will get longer, but I think that's gonna be a safer bet that you'll be able to vaporize any spice that leaks out the chore boy and into the chamber's corner.

It's a cool, sturdy design anyways. Share some progress when you have! Thumbs up
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

Elrik
#3 Posted : 12/19/2018 6:37:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh, its only the left unadorned portion that will contain anything. The whole pipe will be one solid piece.
I'll cocoon some DMT into copper 'chore boy', stuff it in the end and pre-heat the smooth thin walled bowl to inhibit any DMT from melting or subliming onto the bowl walls while I smoke it.

Nydex
#4 Posted : 12/19/2018 7:52:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice man, this makes way more sense! Instead of using copper mesh, why not go for two of those ceramic flavor discs that are usually sold with vaporizers? Get a matching diameter to the leftmost end of the pipe (or a bigger one and grind it down to a perfect fit), and melt the spice onto the first disc that goes in, and put a second one as a buffer between the heat and the spice so you can carefully and gradually increase the temp up to the sweet spot?

I've never smoked spice, but thought it's a sensible idea. Thumbs up
TRUST

LET GO

BE OPEN

pastanostra
#5 Posted : 12/19/2018 8:56:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's a great designform smoking, think to a schillum.
Take attention to the air intake, if too much air is incoming you mayb fullfill rapidly your lungs an take big hit. Try to start with a low diameter, then drill bigger if it'stoo small or too long to take a puff.
Wich diam you plan for air intake & smoke intake (after the bowl) ?

Elrik
#6 Posted : 12/19/2018 9:15:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I briefly considered using the silicon carbide smoking sponges, until I saw the price and calculated in import costs. I promptly bought two copper pads for the price of a pack of gum Laughing
The tube after the bowl is planned to be 3mm. Thats a little wide for a promiscuous draw of smoke but not so wide as to make it have no resistance, and the extra half millimeter will make it easier to clean. My misspent youth gave me abundant practice in drawing smoke from a pipe.
I've been reading 'Articulations: On the Utilisation and Meanings of Psychedelics' and it impressed me how effective the author insists a crack pipe stuffed with copper pot scrubber can be with a refined technique, his description of using one is how I came up with this design. [I make my own spice so I dont have to worry about lye contamination, otherwise I'd use a bong]

Good to hear that I seem to be on the right track Very happy