We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cactus all bound up in like jell? Options

Dabnwarbucks
#1 Posted : 12/11/2018 4:55:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So this jell has trapped all my solvent...... how do i break it free? I did lime,vineger,d limonine.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Wolfnippletip
#2 Posted : 12/11/2018 5:07:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some options are:

1) Add more base

2) Use vibration to separate into layers ( I use some electric shears. Some put the container on top of a subwoofer)

3) Add salt

My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Elrik
#3 Posted : 12/11/2018 7:12:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It may just be too concentrated.
I use a dilute vinegar to lye, xylene extraction protocol for cactus and upon adding the base + solvent and cooling to room temperature it will turn to something resembling chocolate pudding if I had made it too concentrated. Some people counter this by adding a huge excess of lye, enough to hydrolyze the colloidal polymers, but I regard that as wasteful and dangerous so I just dilute it with salty water while still warm if its too concentrated. I doubt lime saturation would work well in breaking the colloid anyway so dilution may be your only option. Resist the urge to just heat the reaction mixture up to the temperature of coffee unless you want your house to stink like solvent, I've made that mistake with xylene. Repeatedly Laughing

Sex toys and salt may help resolve emulsions but I've never seen them reduce the viscosity of a too-concentrated based brew. Figure out the needed dilution for making your extraction protocol work, and then restrict your extractions to a quantity that leaves you working with practical volumes.
I'd love to extract a kilo of cactus chips at a time, but practicality leaves me doing 400 gram extractions. But its still better than fighting caustic pudding.

Dabnwarbucks
#4 Posted : 12/11/2018 7:12:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I started with the food grade tek.. everything was bound up with the lime on it I went ahead and through sodium hydroxide it started breaking it down right away separated two layers now I'm trying to pull it back out of the d-limonene

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 12/11/2018 7:34:56 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
I did lime,vineger,d limonine.

This makes calcium acetate. Calcium acetate itself is very gloopy, when mixed with alcohol it forms the basis of gel fuel.

How much vinegar did you use and when did you add it to the mixture?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Th Entity
#6 Posted : 12/12/2018 7:56:35 AM

I can't think of anything important or deep to add here, excuse me!

This jell you describe as downwardsfromzero said might be calcium acetate, actually for fun few days ago i made calcium acetate from egg shells and it worked, i used the calcium acetate to make flammable jelly using ethanol and calcium acetate, when you have calcium acetate in solution and you mix it with alcohol the calcium acetate 'crash' out of solution forming a jello like. Do dissolve the calcium acetate you use cold water because calcium acetate is more soluble in cold water than warm/hot water. Hope this information will help you in some way! Good Luck Thumbs up