We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Please help me choose a major. Options

maxzar100
#1 Posted : 12/9/2009 11:01:04 PM

Earth Child

Hello everyone, I am going of to an four year university soon, and I am having great difficulties choosing my major and career. I am not very good at math, and money is not a big issue for me, I am more concerned with getting a job that I would thouroughly enjoy.

If possible, I would like something that included interaction with nature and plants. I am also greatly interested in indigenous cultures and also Shamanism and herbal medicine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Much thanks,
Max
The events that maxzar100 describes are only hypothetical, and never actually took place. maxzar100 has no link whatsoever to any illegal substance.

Quote:
Salvia, the metamorphosis of reality. -Mz

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jamie
#2 Posted : 12/9/2009 11:11:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

If that is what you want than you will need some background in anthropology..take some cultural and relgious anthropology classes..maybe some sociology would help as well..but if you want to study shamanism and entheogens etc..start with anthropology classes and specifically religous anthropology and focus on shamanism and other forms of magic, healing etc..

If you want to focus on plants and not specifically shamanic use of them than you need some biology and go from there..lots of taxonomy I would think.

That is what I did anyway..but I didnt finish college..I got good grades but eventaully dropped out..I studies philosophy and anthropology..I learend alot in those anthropology classes..one of my professors was a HUGE Wade Davis fan and also knew him so it was greatVery happy

Now I am studying herbal medicine through correspondance but I will probabily go back and study anthropology more becasue I like it.
Long live the unwoke.

maxzar100
#3 Posted : 12/9/2009 11:14:01 PM

Earth Child

Yes I was looking into anthropology, I am going to Northern Arizona University, and they have a variety of different anthropology classes, and I am not sure which one would be best for what you described above. Do you mind taking a look for me and telling me which one you think would be the best sub major?
http://home.nau.edu/sbs/...ograms/undergraduate.asp
The events that maxzar100 describes are only hypothetical, and never actually took place. maxzar100 has no link whatsoever to any illegal substance.

Quote:
Salvia, the metamorphosis of reality. -Mz

azrael
#4 Posted : 12/9/2009 11:29:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'd recommend a little bit of biology if you're looking to get a job relating to these things after college. It may suffice to take a few courses (not even a "minor, just intro to bio and the plant course for identification and classification) in bio and keep your focus on your anthro major (if you decide to go with anthro). You don't need to decide which sub-major or specialization you want at this juncture, you may change your mind later as you get into the material and find out what you like. Ultimately, it is all your decision.

All of these things should be discussed with your program advisor at your college, these people will enjoy helping you figure it out.

damiana
#5 Posted : 12/10/2009 12:35:36 AM

Cosmic Dragon

Try ethnobotany. I highly recommend this, it has to do with plants, humans, indigenous plants, shamans, and medicine. You can study shamans who eat plants in south america for a living. Plus you can look in the rainforest for medical cures to things like cancer. Look into it, you may love it.
PEACE

shoe
#6 Posted : 12/10/2009 1:21:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Life is what you make it; I've worked in poundland (everythings a pound! YAY!) and absoloutely loved it. It was £5.00/hour (that's UK's minimum pay)
the staff were all a**holes who broke, stole and ate the stock, but I loved it.
shoe

реР рднреВрд░реНрднреБрд╡: рд╕реНрд╡: рддрддреНрд╕рд╡рд┐рддреБрд░реНрд╡рд░реЗрдгреНрдпрдВ ред рднрд░реНрдЧреЛ рджреЗрд╡рд╕реНрдп рдзреАрдорд╣рд┐, рдзреАрдпреЛ рдпреЛ рди: рдкреНрд░рдЪреЛрджрдпрд╛рддреН
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Methtical
#7 Posted : 12/10/2009 6:39:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it depends on whether you are doing this for the purpose of persuing a career related to these subjects or are doing it because you want to learn about all this stuff because it interests you greatly. If it's the former, then make sure there is a job market out there - universities will sell the course to you by saying stuff like "When you have completed your course in Pharmacology, you could work for some of the worlds top companies and explore the amazon finding new plants and compounds".

Now that is true, you could do that, but the reality is that these types of jobs are few and far between and you'd probably need quite a lot of credentials to even be considered (at least thats my take on things in the UK, could be different elsewhere). I'm by no means trying to dampen your spirits, but I've seen a lot of people (myself included) be very disappointed when upon graduation these promises can't be fulfilled for the large part.

If however, it's the latter, then by all means go for it dude, and enjoy every moment.

Methtical