We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mushroom tea recipes,- what are yours plus, blue tea & other ???s Options

null24
#1 Posted : 11/14/2018 5:59:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

This is how i do it= bring water to a near-boil, add finely chopped fresh or dry mushies, simmer at low heat under constant stirring for 6-10 mins, add lemon and honey, let cool. Drink or store.

What is your technique and why?

Also, does anyone have relevant experience with shelf life of tea with or without lemon? The last batch i made, i used about 1.25 pounds of fresh cyansand wanted to make a "1-shot" tea to store. I did add some lemon juice but not a lot. I cant tell if it has oxidized, its so dark out of the pot i cant tell if its blue or not.

I've lemon tek'd a couple dry grams, and the residue in the glass was the deepest, prettiest blue ive ever seen when i returned home hours later. So i feel that a good indicator of psilocybin conversion and consequent potency loss is that color change.

Do any of you have exp with tea oxidizing and turning blue or not?

PS- the blue bottle on the right is h the what was filed with the tea from the shrooms in the pot. It's perfect for it, it has gradation marks andis embossed with the word SOMA.Wink

So far, and sure i want to brag here, I've harvested a dry quarter-pound and if it ever ####ing rains up here again, can probably make that a full or at least half pound. I've never had this many i wasn't part of the distribution chain for and it's been my dream since i began hunting 5 years ago (to the day!) to have enough to last a year. So i want to know how best to store them long term in dry or tea form. Or any form for that matter.
null24 attached the following image(s):
20181107_195545.jpg (4,182kb) downloaded 206 time(s).
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

kerelsk
#2 Posted : 11/14/2018 7:55:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been adding ascorbic acid to my teas for antioxidant purposes, and I've been trusting it helps since it seems to turn blue/dark grey more slowly. The acidity helps against mold as well. On the other hand it doesn't taste very good, though I haven't experimented with concentration and usually use an unpalatably large amount.

I'm not sure about flavonoids and the like as effective competitive antioxidants, but that could be something to look into.

I have these rock hard galindoi sclerotia, so I'm soaking them in ethanol & water, with vitamin c. I will probably just consume the solution directly, but it could also be decanted into a 1/2 cup of boiling water for a minute or two to boil off the alcohol if one were sensitive.

A pertinent problem I've also run into with tea is it seems to go rancid quickly. Cold definitely helps extend its edibility. Freezing doses in an ice cube tray should work long term.

I haven't yet found my favorite way to prepare liquid psilocybe alks, each one of these molecules has quirks.

Btw good find null Laughing

sauSage
#3 Posted : 11/14/2018 9:41:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
What is your technique and why?

1 - Make sure fruits are beyond cracker dry
2 - grind them up to a powder in a food processor
3 - Soak in lemon juice for at least 30 minutes
4 - Boil water and pull it from the heat just as it starts to roll
5 - Toss lemon juice/fungus mush into water and just let it sit for 20-30 mins
6 - Strain thru a coffee filter and squeeze it good and tight to get everything out
7 - Let cool and enjoy.

I like to make sure my brew is easy to measure and split. So for example I'll use 5g of fruits, boiled into 2 cups of water so that I know if I drink 1/2 a cup it's roughly 1.25g in experience. The lemon totally changes the experience too so be wary of that.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 11/15/2018 4:35:48 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

In my experience if you boil or even just add boiling water there is a small, but noticeable potency loss.

Grind your material and put it in a teabag, then add just enough cool or room temperature water to submerge and rehydrate. Bring water to just under the simmering point, let it sit exposed to the open air for a minimum of 60 seconds for some of the heat to escape as steam, then slowly add the hot water to the cool water solution bringing it up to where it's just too hot to comfortably stick your finger in there. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes or so then pull the teabag. You can add a little lemon and swish around before pulling the teabag to semi-lemon tek and ensure you get everything if you so desire.

The idea with the cool water is to protect the psilocybin and any of the more volatile compounds from the heat shock of adding hot water directly or direct heat exposure as in simmering on a heat source.

For long term storage of tea freezing it is the way to go. Dried mushrooms will last for many years on their own (oldest I've eaten were vacuum sealed and stored in a freezer for 10 years and they rocked my sox just as hard as the day were sealed). Ethanol tincture with a tiny pinch of ascorbic acid is also a reliable long term storage method and has undergone my personal festival test in which it spent a full summer cooking in 100+ degree tents in the desert. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

blue.magic
#5 Posted : 11/15/2018 2:03:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For fresh mushies, I chop them finely a put in a glass with ice cold water and add few ice cubes on top. Then I leave it in the fridge overnight, then strain and drink the water.

Sometimes I add lemon juice to it too. I have never tried ascorbic acid; good idea.

For dry mushrooms, it grind them into powder in a coffee grinder, then prepare cammomile tea and add the powder in it. Then I drink it all (incl. solids).

When I feel lazy, I just chew dried shrooms like a beef jerky.

null24
#6 Posted : 11/15/2018 3:52:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sweet, thanks for the responses, all great input.

I'm super confused over the whole psilocybin/psilocin/oxidation/lemon juice thing. I lemon tekked a couple grams the other day (holy cow, btw) and did not condon confin consume everything in the cup. When i returned home 5 hours later the remaining liquid had turned VERY blue. FWIU, this is oxidation and indicates the conversion of psilocin to psilocybin, which is less stable. So, if i make tea and add lemon or ascorbic would it not CAUSE oxidation? Pardon my ignorance, I've never been clear on this.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

smoothmonkey
#7 Posted : 11/15/2018 6:46:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Get water going until it is just about to boil. Turn down to simmer, add crushed mushrooms, minced ginger, and half a limes worth of lime juice. Simmer 20 minutes, strain, and add honey. Thumbs up Thumbs up

Very pleasant to drink, quick come up, and easier on the tummy.
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Loveall
#8 Posted : 11/16/2018 12:49:55 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Make a ginger tea with mannitol and lemon. Turn off the heat and remove any solids (so they don't absorve any activities in the next step). Add chopped up mushrooms. Use a potatoe masher to squish them while in the hot water for 10 minutes. Filter. Rinse the squished mushrooms with a small amount of hot fresh water added to the tea.

- Ginger may reduce any chances of nausea by coupling to gut receptors.
- Lemon and heat may convert psilocybin to psiclocin for faster come up and protect the extract from oxidation. Also gives a nice taste.
- Mannitol makes it sweet and may help open up the blood brain barrier a little bit (by osmosis).
- Squishing may improve extraction (nod to Sakkadelic)

At the end of the day, this may just be the same as plain old hot water Laughing Who knows with all being so subjective. Anywhay, that's how I do it now a days. Cheers and happy travels.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

cosmictaylor
#9 Posted : 11/16/2018 3:49:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like to take a mug of hot Reishi and stir in a couple scoops of powdered cubensis. Taste good and the Reishi gets things started on a good note

null24
#10 Posted : 11/17/2018 4:46:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This whole psilocybin/psilocin, active/inactive, how to preserve my tea thing has me so confused it makes me feel dumb.Razz

So, let me get this straight. To my severely limited understanding:
1. Psilocybin is INactive, and is a product of oxidation of psilocin, which IS active.
2. If i add a food-grade basing agent, i.e. picking lime, to my tea, it will prevent the conversion of psilocybin to psilocin, which is a good thing for long termstorage of tea, along with a oxygen-free environment.
3. When i want to consume, adding lemon juice to acidify and "activate" the 'cybin into 'cin.

I got this from Reddit, just saying.

Anything to this, if so, what are the pH ranges?

Am i so off base with this that i should just shut up and eat my mushrooms?
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

kerelsk
#11 Posted : 11/17/2018 6:19:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, I'll try to clarify what information I can vouch for

@null:
1. Psilocybin has unknown activity to me, but it doesn't matter because the body rapidly converts it to the known active psilocin.[1][2]
Psilocybin is not a product of oxidation of psilocin, though. It is the phosphoryloxy ester, which is more stable, and is produced in the mushrooms with their enzymes.[3]

2. I don't know anything about basing mushroom solutions really, and haven't heard of people doing it.
Most people don't worry about the conversion of psilocybin to psilocin, as both will work.

The theory I have operated under for a while is that the bluing and potency loss occur after mushroom tea sits in open air for some time due to the psilocin oxidizing to a blue-colored compound.
I have heard cubensis has enzymes that will catalyze this oxidation upon breaking the tissue, thus the bluing.

To quote benzyme[4]
benzyme wrote:
Dimitrius wrote:

Benzyme, I didn't realize heat was a necessary catalyst in dephosphorylation. I did add a hot tea to it for 5 minutes though. Would that not be good enough? If not, provided I extracted the compounds through a night of sitting in lemon/lime juice (in the fridge), plus a meager five minutes of soak time in tea (did I?), what duration would you suggest in a mild heat?

heat + acid.
if one were to draw an equation for dephosphorylation, psilocybin and H+ (acid) would be on the reactants side, and Δ would be above the reaction arrow to indicate heat as the catalyst.

lemon juice in hot tea, i'd let it sit for about 20 mins. keep it warm in a hot water bath.
over-dephosphorylation isn't really an issue, oxidation of psilocin is..and that's catalyzed by enzymes bound to psilocin. with proper protonation (addition of a weak acid), this isn't much of a problem.

I think benz is saying the addition of a little acid in the tea will deactivate any oxidation catalyzing enzymes in the mushroom flesh.

null24
#12 Posted : 11/17/2018 9:08:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! I'm approaching comprehension... I can't be the only person confused by all this (at least that's what I'll tell myself anyway)...

I had never heard of basing tea either and lemon is a matter of course...the Reddit author (ill see if i can find it in my history, couldn't sleep and found it bleary eyed at 4AM) made it sound like it was common knowledge in their circles...
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Loveall
#13 Posted : 11/17/2018 9:15:57 PM

❤️‍🔥

null24 wrote:
This whole psilocybin/psilocin, active/inactive, how to preserve my tea thing has me so confused it makes me feel dumb.Razz

So, let me get this straight. To my severely limited understanding:
1. Psilocybin is INactive, and is a product of oxidation of psilocin, which IS active.
2. If i add a food-grade basing agent, i.e. picking lime, to my tea, it will prevent the conversion of psilocybin to psilocin, which is a good thing for long termstorage of tea, along with a oxygen-free environment.
3. When i want to consume, adding lemon juice to acidify and "activate" the 'cybin into 'cin.

I got this from Reddit, just saying.

Anything to this, if so, what are the pH ranges?

Am i so off base with this that i should just shut up and eat my mushrooms?

1- Psilocybin will become active in the body after it is turned into psilocin. Oxydation of psiclocybin does not typically occur. Instead, what happens to it is the phosphate group is removed (dephosphorylation), and that turns it into active psilocin. This desphosphorilation can also happen in an acidic environment (e.g. lemon juice), and heat or mushroom enzymes can accelerate the process. One possibility for the lemon tek having such a quick come on is that the dephosphorylation has already happened outside the body.

Psilocin can oxidize easily in water, and anti-oxidants can help delay/stop this (like citric acid in lemon juice). One theory is that it oxydizes to a quinone which tends to be blue.

2- This is tricky I think. I've found that heat and Ca(OH)2 seems to keep Psilocybin safe, but ammonia made a quick blue/black mess of everything. I don't now why.

I think lemon or vitamin C are great for water extraction since even if Psilocybin dephosphprilates it shouldn't oxydize, plus any natural psilocin would be protected.

null24
#14 Posted : 11/18/2018 3:17:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Psilocin can oxidize easily in water, and anti-oxidants can help delay/stop this (like citric acid in lemon juice). One theory is that it oxydizes to a quinone which tends to be blue.

Ah, this clears it up for me, the difference between oxidation and desphosphorilation, and that it's the anti oxidant properties, not the pH. ThanksThumbs up

I'm mainly concerned with preserving some tea that'll take some time to consume.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Loveall
#15 Posted : 11/18/2018 1:15:57 PM

❤️‍🔥

Great. The pH can matter, at high pH psilocin will become unstable. For example, a quick way to oxydation is to extract with warm vinegar (desphosphorilate), and then base. That's a direct way to render the extract inactive after two steps.

I think the best way to preserve the tea is to separate it into individual doses and freeze it. Adding lemmon makes sense so it does not oxydaze later while freezing/defrosting.

Quetzal7
#16 Posted : 11/18/2018 5:21:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I ask genuinely for someone to explain me : why you making tea in the first place ?
I know a bit about the lemon tek (make the mushroom a bit faster coming up ; "stronger" but shorter ; not much of a net gain as i heard). But the tea story ?
Why you don't just eat the mush mush ? Or make chocolate Love Am i missing something ?

null24
#17 Posted : 11/18/2018 7:21:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^

Basically because I'm type A as hell and need to extensively plan out my activities.

For dosing regulation, predictability and to ease stomach upset produced by eating mushroom bodies.

I also prefer a shorter duration and fast come up.

For some reason, sometimes- in fact more often than not-when i just eat mushies, it can take hours to come on, like 4 or 5, and can be really unpredictable. I don't know any one else who experiences this but it's true as I'm born. If I'm with others, I'll start coming up as they are coming down. That doesn't happen with tea. If i dose with friends, we all get the same dose and basically are on the same bus schedule.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Swayambhu
#18 Posted : 11/19/2018 10:17:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read in a herbalism primer that the most favoured extraction is a lengthy, cold extraction. Believing this to be true, I usually chop my mushrooms into tiny bits (I don't grind them because they clog the filter) and do a cold extraction for 12 hours. I then strain, and do a second extraction with hot water. Sometimes I add Lion's Mane, in the belief that it will work in cooperation with the primary mushroom to heal and protect my neurons. Even if that's bullshit, I like the taste of Lion's Mane tea. I also like the taste of liberty cap tea, and the two go together quite nicely.
I plan on the amount of resulting liquid to be two smallish teacups worth, to be slowly sipped.

Why tea? There are supposed to be practical reasons- easier on the tum, quicker, smoother uptake, etc., but there is also for me the pleasing ritual and warmth of making and drinking tea. And I would say it makes things a bit smoother when coming up.