We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A separate sticky thread for publication of scientific articles only Options

Trickster
#1 Posted : 11/7/2018 11:34:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I believe it would be useful to have a thread where the forum members can publish full text articles with an abstract. To avoid cluttering no discussion should be allowed.

The posts will have a uniform structure:

=======================

Article Name
Author(s)
Source (Journal Vol, issue no/Book)
Publication Date
DOI

Abstract

Article text attached in PDF or EPUB format.

Here is an example:

========================

Dark Classics in Chemical Neuroscience: N,N‑Dimethyltryptamine (DMT)
Lindsay P. Cameron & David E. Olson
ACS Chem Neurosci. 2018 Oct 17;9(10):2344-2357.
doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00101

Abstract

Though relatively obscure, N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is an important molecule in psychopharmacology as it is the archetype for all indole-containing serotonergic psychedelics. Its structure can be found embedded within those of better-known molecules such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and psilocybin. Unlike the latter two compounds, DMT is ubiquitous, being produced by a wide variety of plant and animal species. It is one of the principal psychoactive components of ayahuasca, a tisane made from various plant sources that has been used for centuries.
Furthermore, DMT is one of the few psychedelic compounds produced endogenously by mammals, and its biological function in human physiology remains a mystery. In this review, we cover the synthesis of DMT as well as its pharmacology, metabolism, adverse effects, and potential use in medicine. Finally, we discuss the history of DMT in chemical neuroscience and why this underappreciated molecule is so important to the field of psychedelic science.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/7/2018 11:52:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042
#3 Posted : 11/7/2018 4:14:28 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

As you can see the above linked post is a bit of a mess. Nothing in there is indexed, many of the uploads are missing citations to explain what they are, there is a lot of redundancy, etc.

I like the idea of the specific uniform template, though I think if we included the abstract for every paper, a thread would get tediously long to sort through pretty quickly. A simple citation and a clickable pubmed link for the abstract might be better in terms of thread length.

Ideally I'd love to see something along the lines of lines of searchable database allowing the indexing of papers under multiple tags. For example I could get to Dr. Barker's DMT in rat pineals by searching DMT, endogenous, rat studies, pineal gland, etc. This is beyond the scope of my skillset to implement, but ultimately I think it would make for the best organization and accessibility long term.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Trickster
#4 Posted : 11/7/2018 9:31:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Often an article title does not provide sufficient information about its content.
The abstract gives the reader pretty good idea what to expect in the article. It is an accepted standard. Its lengths should be limited.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.