We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
help - How do I know if I have anhydrous MgSO2? Options

Espiridion
#1 Posted : 12/7/2009 1:30:30 AM

--who.??..ME??--

Capt.Caveman did a 500 deg bake(F) for 45 min. Roughly 20 gm Epsom salt. Tried a bit in a tiny puddle of water expecting an absorption/reaction. Nothing. I thought this was the stuff used in diapers. Which the capt. has plenty of.

Is this a no-brainer I'm trying to muddle up?

J
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 12/7/2009 1:44:03 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Anhydrous Magnesium sulfate absorbs roughly its own weight in water and conversely hydrated magnesium sulfate loses half of its weight when dehydrated!

Which means a successful total dehydration should make it 50% lighter. But of course complete dehydration is absolutely no necessary for it to be able to absorb water.

Hope that helps!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

w0mbat
#3 Posted : 12/7/2009 2:06:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When you buy magnesium sulfate, it should look sort of like white crystal chips (SWIM's epsom salts looked almost like white steel-cut oats)... After baking it, the anhydrous magnesium sulfate will sort of congeal into these big white sheets that easily break apart. To get it to absorb water SWIM had to crush up the white sheets into powder.

Also, when SWIM was adding the AMS, he could simply not tell if it had absorbed all the possible water. SWIM's only choice was to add AMS to excess, until there couldn't possibly be any more water to absorb.
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

sameoldsongam
#4 Posted : 12/7/2009 5:53:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You can also microwave it for 5 or 10 minutes. The plate will get very hot though so be careful.

Espiridion
#5 Posted : 12/7/2009 6:18:36 AM

--who.??..ME??--

INDEED!!

Thanks to all!!

SUCCESS....

Namaste,

J
Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. Carl Jung