We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa tenuiflora / hostilis ID Options

patreek
#1 Posted : 10/27/2018 8:37:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I started this plant around six months ago from seeds I purchased. I'm almost certain this is Mimosa tenuiflora but would like a second opinion before overwintering. I've read many stories of people receiving Mimosa pudica seeds instead. With that said, it does react to touch but not very quickly.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

DansMaTete
#2 Posted : 10/27/2018 11:01:11 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Definitly not pudica and certainly hostilis.

What is the size of the pot ?

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

patreek
#3 Posted : 10/28/2018 12:45:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

DansMaTete wrote:
Definitly not pudica and certainly hostilis.

What is the size of the pot ?

Nice Cool

It's in a 2.5 Gal pot right now. Is that too small?

1uvakind
#4 Posted : 10/28/2018 1:36:00 AM

*The Plant Whisperer*

Nice 🌱🌿...and yes 2.5 gallons is too small... Roots is what you'll b eventually wantin to harvest so a pot or tub to allow lots of root space is what u want... Top trim n manipulate the plant with stress training such as bending over n tying down to force the plant to focus on strong roots n root production...I jus popped a few myself n ima have mine in 20 gallon tubs for each plant... I use 7 gallon smart pots for my Cannabis plants n they only live around 120days give or take n maybe 3ft tall n 3ft wide... The Mimosas will b growing some yrs before theyll b worth harvesting for roots...
Good luck w everything n they look healthy n happy so far... Looks ready n big enuf to transplant at any time now...I would go to a 10 gallon pot asap n then eventually upsize as it gets bigger with time...

👽✌
*GROW*

patreek
#5 Posted : 10/28/2018 1:53:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

1uvakind wrote:
Nice 🌱🌿...and yes 2.5 gallons is too small... Roots is what you'll b eventually wantin to harvest so a pot or tub to allow lots of root space is what u want... Top trim n manipulate the plant with stress training such as bending over n tying down to force the plant to focus on strong roots n root production...I jus popped a few myself n ima have mine in 20 gallon tubs for each plant... I use 7 gallon smart pots for my Cannabis plants n they only live around 120days give or take n maybe 3ft tall n 3ft wide... The Mimosas will b growing some yrs before theyll b worth harvesting for roots...
Good luck w everything n they look healthy n happy so far... Looks ready n big enuf to transplant at any time now...I would go to a 10 gallon pot asap n then eventually upsize as it gets bigger with time...
👽✌

Thanks for the info. Think re-potting could hold off until next spring? Always been paranoid about re-potting plants this late in the year.

1uvakind
#6 Posted : 10/28/2018 1:55:28 AM

*The Plant Whisperer*

Are u not indoors?...if u are indoors in won't matter...i guess if ur outside n it gets cool to cold then yes the plant will slow down n prolly not need a transplant...but if thats the case i suggest movin the plant inside for the winter... It can definitely wait for a transplant but its not optimal for what ur tryna do...the only risk u run by not transplaing is the plant getting root bound which will only slow growth not harm the plant really...2.5 gallon pot is pretty small I'd say its slightly root bound already..my Cannabis plants fill a 2 gallon pot with roots in bout 30-45 days... Theyll need more water n nutrients when this happens too...jus remember with plants whats underneath the soil is jus as important if not more important than whats above the soil... Happy roots Happy plant...Big roots big fruits... Big roots more shoots...u get the idea... N especially with what we're tryna do with these Mimosas...the roots are what we're eventually after so we want alot of em n big fat thick ones...it'll b fine til u decide to transplant but i bet u notice a burst in happiness n new growth once the roots settle into their new home n start spreading out... More room...fresh soil... All that Thumbs up

N if u transplant with care n attention the plant shouldn't suffer any negative effects... Fill ur new bigger pot with the new fresh soil yet leave a whole the size of the original pot in the center... Form it with ur hands... Gently turn upside down n tap the plant outta its old pot n it should come out in one piece ...maybe a day or so after watering u don't want it too dry or too wet when u do this... Set it in its new home then fill in around the roots n immediately water it good...
*GROW*

patreek
#7 Posted : 10/28/2018 4:42:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I am indoors for now. I'll do that, thanks.

1uvakind
#8 Posted : 10/28/2018 5:08:36 PM

*The Plant Whisperer*

Your welcome...
*GROW*