We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sugesstions for freebasing MHRB and drying it. Options

Mad Cat
#1 Posted : 10/19/2018 6:44:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey people! Opening my first thread on the forum so I hope you find it interesting. Not exactly the best place to put it but I cant post elseware so this will have to do.

As someone who did a fair bit of lab work the usual two-phase extraction seems a bit tedious. Especially considering how careful you have to be to prevent emulsions from forming and how time consuming it is to wait, stir, wait, stir...

Now what I was thinking here is using a soxhlet extractor to do most of the hard work.
Now if you never heard of a soxhlet extractor let me quickly get you up to speed. It's a lovely piece of glassware without any moving parts. This is how it looks like and how it works.

Whatever plant material you will be extracting from goes in the middle and the solvent in the bottom. Solvent evaporates travels up and condenses only to fall down in the container containing the plant material (called the thimble). Now the really neat part - this middle container fills up and soaks up goodies from the plant until it reaches the top. At that point it overflows and the little tube on the side drains the entire middle container in to the bottom flask. Fresh solvent evaporates from the bottom flask again and the thing goes on and on for as long as you like. In the end everythign that the solvent can dissolve ends up in the bottom flask.

This means you can use a very small about of solvent over and over again. Instead of having to manually add it, separate and distill to recycle yourself this little thing does it all! This makes it my favorite piece of glassware in the lab - simple yet incredibly effective. For example with marijuana this thing will over night extract absolutely everything and leave only plant matter in the thimble (which can be both a good and bad thing though).

Now with MHRB there is a bit of a problem as you first have to basify it in order to get freebase DMT. And a soxhlet will ony work with reasonably dry material, not sludge.

So here is where I'm asking for ideas. Does anyone have any clues as to how to basify MHRB yet somehow leave it dry? The obvious way is to just make lye sludge and dry it but considering how hygroscopic it is that could provide challanging. Not to mention the end product could possibly be very non porous and nasty in general.

I thought about grinding lye and MHRb together but that seems dangerous. Passing NH3 gas over it but again it adds a lot of complexity and nasty chemicals. Maybe Na2CO3 could be used instead of NaOH?

As a final thought maybe the entire concept of a soxhlet could be modified a bit. To somehow make fresh solvent pass trough the sludge, rise on top then overflow and get boiled and recycled like in the soxhlet.

Maybe some sort of solvent which just slightly dissolves a base could be used and MHRB+base put in the thimble.

Maybe im approaching from the wrong side and it could be easier to somehow convert it in to salt form and use a polar solvent.

Anyway point is soxhlet is a really neat piece of lab equipment that quite a lot of you might not be familiar with. Its easily available online and fairly cheap. I wrote down some of my ideas and hopefully this gives some of you creative souls out there something to think about and maybe we can figure out a new very very efficient extraction. Or maybe it wont work. Only one way to find out!

Take care people.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

KloudQ7
#2 Posted : 10/19/2018 7:02:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you mix your bark with some pickling lime and wet it a little you can easily dry it for your purposes.

leratiomyces
#3 Posted : 10/19/2018 9:07:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A few people on this board have experimented with a soxhlet. You should be able to find their results by searching.

Ammonia gas dissolved in methanol might be the appropriate solvent to try.

Finally continuous liquid liquid extraction exists, but is an overkill in my opinion, given the freebase is easily extracted out. But if you were keen to experiment, this is the apparatus,

https://www.aceglass.com/html/products/6846_1.jpg

Good luck with it all. Post your results.