We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Introducing: The "Homemade & Tubular Vapor Cooling Device" Options

obliguhl
#1 Posted : 12/5/2009 8:51:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In my quest for a cool vapor, I had this idea of using tubes in conjunction with the Vaporgenie to create a handy tool to make smoking the genie even smoother. The red tube fits the VG mouthpiece perfectly, it's attached to a slightly bigger tube which goes inside the large blue tube, which is filled with water and sealed at both ends with hot glue.

The idea is to freeze the water inside the cooling tube to make for a pretty low ambient temperature inside the smaller vaportube. Vapor doesn't come in direct contact with the ice, so recrystallizations could be salvaged.

SWIM did not have the chance to test the device. The main problem is the material: PVC, normally used for aquacooling, is not a very good heat conductor. A nice ice chamber made of glass would surely be better....

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

State of the Mind
#2 Posted : 12/6/2009 11:48:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I like this idea. Does the water freeze happily without expanding and breaking the seals, or does the blue tube stretch to accommodate the water/ice's increased area?
Great idea. Very happy
People spend their lives searching for perfect moments and fail to see, that there are many unappreciated perfect moments everyday that are overlooked.

bluecurry
#3 Posted : 12/6/2009 3:11:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

wouldn't rubbing alcohol be a superior liquid? The freezing point is much lower than can be achieved with water, and would prevent cracks due to expansion caused by water freezing. You'd just have to make sure your sealant wasn't reactive with the isopropyl alcohol, but besides that it seems like it would be superior.

Great idea though, let us know how it goes when you try it Very happy

obliguhl
#4 Posted : 12/7/2009 4:09:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought about a better cooling liquid, but I'm not sure about it eacting with the soft PVC.
I also think that it is a good idea to keep a simple concept simple. It doesn't take long to freeze. Maybe 20-30 minutes max in the freezer.

It does not break the tubing, but the taste of plastic is greatly enhanced. This seems to be the biggest downfall. But what can you expect from such a cheap and simple device? It should not cost more than 5-10$, is re-usable and:

It really seems to cool the smoke substantialy, making it easier to inhale. I have to say that only prelimanary tests were done...but it does look very promising! That means: The tester did not notice a small dose of vapor. But this could change with a thicker vapor cloud.

There are even more positive things abouzt it...

It's very extandable, you can practically shorten or lengthen any part of it with adapters
It's portable and only slightly less comfortable to use than a solo vaporgenie as you have to hold the tube with your teeth while powering the VG with your lighter.

Bassface
#5 Posted : 12/7/2009 7:45:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I had a similar idea except I was just going to connect the tube to a bong.

Touche Guevara
#6 Posted : 12/7/2009 7:52:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cooking oil or a water/glycerol mixture would perform better than h2o.

idtravlr
#7 Posted : 12/7/2009 11:51:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How much recrystallization are you getting inside the cooling portion? It seems like it would be significant if you are cooling the vapor so rapidly. It's good that you designed it so that recrystallization can be collected, but if it's too much it's just that much less you're getting per toke. Just a thought.

I've never used the VG, so I don't know how harsh the vapor from it is, but I like the idea.

Peace,
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

w0mbat
#8 Posted : 12/14/2009 1:50:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was thinking of doing what Touche said

Obi, does it taste like plastic when inhaling just air through it?

Does the PVC get hot at all when you use the device?

Do you (or anybody) know of any alternatives to PVC? I thought teflon tubing might work, though would probably be more expensive and definitely harder to find.
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

obliguhl
#9 Posted : 12/14/2009 8:10:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There was much talk about water bongs recrystallizing the Vapor before it got widely accepted, that the yield loss is minimal. I've got the feeling, that it's gonna be similiar with ice cooling. Would be nice if someone would perform scientific test, but I doubt that it's gonna happen.

Yes, it tastes like plastic with cool air. The PVC doesn't seem to get hot at all. It's only a very short piece of tubing before the vapor gets cooled down to icy temperatures. A better material would be nice and a better heat conductor. Thanks for your suggestions. A friend suggested to simply use cooling pad liquid.

Connecting it to a bong would be nice. Vapor Genie+Ice+Bong ...this got to be Win.

PerPLexED
#10 Posted : 12/14/2009 6:53:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

what about throwing in your VG into the freezer for 20 mins prior to smoking? Also, although very offtopic, that device is PERFECT for steam distillation. Was thinking of making one to extract essential oils from plants.
"We are the analogies we believe." - PerPLexED

PerPLexED is a confused fictional creature.
He doesn't know that he is fictional.
He doesn't know what fiction is.
He doesn't know anything, really.
But strives to know it all.

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 12/24/2009 9:26:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that would not work because the device would heat up rather quickly. I could also imagine it beeing not very good for the wood.

I don't know nothing about steam distillation, this device grew out of curiosity for a better way to smoke. Now it needs to be tested sufficently. I got a very good feeling! The next step would be to connect it to a bong, with the VG attached.

obliguhl
#12 Posted : 2/7/2010 10:56:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The device doesn't work very well and there'S lots of spice condensation or so it seems.