FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using insects to genetically modify plants Options

Loveall
#1 Posted : 10/10/2018 2:43:07 PM

πŸ’–

Chemical expertSenior Member

Interesting news article about the new technology being developed:

https://www.cnn.com/2018...-crops-darpa/index.html

My take, this is fascinating. Seems very powerful, I hope we are wise enough to use it properly.

I can imagine a Nexus project on 2030 where we make claviceps that can genetically modify the corn they infect so the plant itself can turn tryptophan into our favorite substituted tryptamines.

β€œ... (a) psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it.”
Excerpt from a McKenna talk transcript / audio.

Trippy glass for trippy people.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 10/10/2018 2:56:29 PM

bioanalytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

dMAW

sometimes I forget that I'm a biochemist.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck
XMR 46JqfBqi7JNM1W5rXXZ1FF1CBKKLoGEVBRya9Cn3RJmPbQhT4GeZpVKWbwaVe4vUMveKAzAiA4j8xgUi29TpKXpm3whx5MW
BTC 3CNrz6Tj17U35GLkRB1zsNtVoedorw8oja
ETH 0xd433198cb786145767c67d874b36cd7d42baf57a

Loveall
#3 Posted : 10/10/2018 3:08:43 PM

πŸ’–

Tryptophan dimethylallyltransferase? That sounds like a very interesting enzyme, benzyme.

Looks like we got our best people and our best enzymes working on this already... Embarrased Very happy Laughing
β€œ... (a) psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it.”
Excerpt from a McKenna talk transcript / audio.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 10/11/2018 11:28:59 PM

bioanalytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I'm actually meeting up with some cats who can clone the gene, and express it on either e.coli or yeast.
As you know, I'm equipped to purify and analyze secondary metabolites.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck
XMR 46JqfBqi7JNM1W5rXXZ1FF1CBKKLoGEVBRya9Cn3RJmPbQhT4GeZpVKWbwaVe4vUMveKAzAiA4j8xgUi29TpKXpm3whx5MW
BTC 3CNrz6Tj17U35GLkRB1zsNtVoedorw8oja
ETH 0xd433198cb786145767c67d874b36cd7d42baf57a

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 10/12/2018 12:33:18 AM

Eggnogstic - warning! Self-irony levels: high!

With that kind of yeast, we can make instant kykeon!

(Shame about the insects Very happy )

[Insect me in 10000 years, after the fruit flies spread the kykeon apocalypse, types "Shame about the humans" Confused ]
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege et labora

β€œTo be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."
― Pierre-Joseph Proudhon