We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
orangle oil extraction--why not just drink it? Options

iamdave
#1 Posted : 9/26/2018 1:51:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It occurred to me while working through 69ron's d-Limonene tek that what I have is food-grade orange oil. Rather than going through a second extraction with the vinegar (does it count as a second extraction?), why not reduce the oil and mix it with something to make a drink?
It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms.
--JBS Haldane

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Auxin
#2 Posted : 9/26/2018 2:59:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Orange oil is not the same as olive oil. Orange oil is basically in the same class as turpentine and gasoline. It is not for drinking.
The following comes straight from the United States National Library of Medicine, clarifications in bold added by me:
Quote:
Limonene is used as a solvent in degreasing metals prior to industrial painting, for cleaning in the electronic and printing industries, and in paint as a solvent. Limonene is also used as a flavor and fragrance additive in food (in small quantities), household cleaning products and perfumes. It is also used as gallstone solubilizer. HUMAN EXPOSURE AND TOXICITY: Limonene is a skin irritant in humans. The oxidized forms of limonene are known to cause allergic contact dermatitis. Limonene liquid has been reported to irritate eyes, ingestion causes irritation of GI tract. Albuminuria (kidney damage sufficient to cause peeing out protein) and hematuria (kidney damage sufficient to cause peeing out blood!) are probable if ingested in sufficient quantity (drinking limonene will cause kidney damage). It is also associated with mouth and throat irritation, shortness of breath, and impaired lung function.

That comes straight from the US federal government so any bias will be towards downplaying the toxicity of a solvent widely used in industry.
Like most essential oils, tiny amounts are ok, large amounts certainly are not.

iamdave
#3 Posted : 9/26/2018 3:21:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I see. I figured drinking it as-is would be hard on you. Sounds like it's even harder on you than I would have thought. Is it not possible to reduce it significantly over heat? I guess even if it is that's starting to be a lot more trouble. I always want to get every last drop out of my material. Transfer losses bother me. But there's a point of diminishing return.
It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms.
--JBS Haldane

blue.magic
#4 Posted : 9/26/2018 4:56:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The boiling point of D-limonene is 176 °C which is above the boiling point of DMT (160 °C). I am afraid trying to reduce it would thus volatilize and remove the product as well.

It could be done under vacuum though.

I have success with removing excess solvent under vacuum - this however concentrates the impurities (mainly oils) as well.

Another option is to save the used solvent, and once you have enough, perform backsalting or reduce it and then backsalt and re-extract the product.

Jagube
#5 Posted : 9/26/2018 10:53:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Limonene is almost impossible to drink.

When I pulled with limonene and pulled from that with vinegar water, I had a very hard time drinking even that water.
So I re-basified with sodium carbonate as suggested to me on the Nexus and re-pulled using less limonene / fewer pulls. That was less yucky and I had a good experience, but towards the end of it I got stomach cramps and pains, which lasted for 1 - 1.5 hours and were accompanied by limonene burps.

I'm starting to believe limonene is not suitable for food-grade extractions (not as a final step anyway) and I might look into xylene as a healthier alternative.

iamdave
#6 Posted : 9/26/2018 1:52:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good deal. I appreciate you guys educating me. It sounds like 69ron has, unsurprisingly, already arrived at the best way to work with d-Limonene as the NPS. I'm also learning what it's shortcomings are and why it might not be the best way to go in the future. I picked that tek because I knew with the equipment and experience I have I wasn't likely to get a pure end product. Plus it was the easiest for me to understand lol

Jagube wrote:
I'm starting to believe limonene is not suitable for food-grade extractions (not as a final step anyway) and I might look into xylene as a healthier alternative.

Xylene, the hydrocarbon used as a paint thinner, is healthier? Either I'm missing the joke or I'm missing some chemistry knowledge lol

Thanks again!
--JBS Haldane

Jagube
#7 Posted : 9/26/2018 4:27:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

iamdave wrote:
Xylene, the hydrocarbon used as a paint thinner, is healthier? Either I'm missing the joke or I'm missing some chemistry knowledge lol

Pure xylene evaporates clean. The fumes are toxic, but the end product should be clean after boiling off the xylene residue.

iamdave
#8 Posted : 9/26/2018 6:51:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:
iamdave wrote:

Pure xylene evaporates clean. The fumes are toxic, but the end product should be clean after boiling off the xylene residue.

Ah, I see.

Hey, at what quantity does orange oil cause damage? My gravy separator did a significantly less than perfect job of separating the oil and vinegar so I will definitely be ingesting some. I can't find much on the web. Web-MD says it's safe "in food amounts" and "appears to be safe in medicinal amounts when taken by mouth for up to one year." There's no indication of how much food and medicinal amounts are though.

I was surprised to find it doesn't mention anything about the kidney damage. Makes me think that site may not be too reliable.
--JBS Haldane

iamdave
#9 Posted : 9/26/2018 9:57:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I drank the amount in the picture, after filling that glass up with water. Then drinking 3 more glasses of water.

It was mostly vinegar. I could see droplets of orange oil though and could smell and taste it as well.
iamdave attached the following image(s):
1V9A1593.jpg (1,337kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
--JBS Haldane

ShamensStamen
#10 Posted : 9/27/2018 12:22:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I've consumed up to 25 drops at once of Lemon EO before, and i've consumed 10 drops of Lemon EO a day for 2 years, haven't noticed any negatives. Yes, if you drink a ton of Limonene you may get some negatives, same with drinking too much water lol, but you can definitely use Limonene and other terpenes, Orange or Lemon or Lime EO's safely and therapeutically/medicinally. I probably wouldn't consume mls of Limonene, but a few drops or so, not a problem, except i use capsules.

iamdave
#11 Posted : 9/27/2018 1:50:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's good to know. I appear to be vomiting blood. I assume I'm probably not.
--JBS Haldane

ShamensStamen
#12 Posted : 9/27/2018 2:29:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

iamdave wrote:
That's good to know. I appear to be vomiting blood. I assume I'm probably not.

Can't say i've vomited up blood from Lemon EO ingestion lol, hopefully you're not vomiting blood though, and if you are, may wanna get to a doctor, stat.

benzyme
#13 Posted : 9/27/2018 4:39:01 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

limonene is a fine degreaser, so itโ€™ll do a number on fatty acids. Also, the liver may convert it to an epoxide, a known mutagen.
not an issue in small amounts, but donโ€™t chug a pint. even OJ has trace amounts of limonene.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

iamdave
#14 Posted : 9/27/2018 1:47:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It wasn't specifically the Limonene, just the general acidity of the concoction I drank. A shot of everclear, a shot of reduced vinegar, and a little orange oil I couldn't get out on top of fasting for three days but still having coffee and tea. I routinely eat ghost and habanero peppers with my meals as well, although I had not in the past three days.

Here's the full story: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=911982&#post911982
--JBS Haldane