We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phalaris pigments Options

0_o
#1 Posted : 9/21/2018 9:52:44 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

An enormous and diverse patch of Phalaris arundinacea grows near where I live right now. Many of the new leaves near the top show red pigments at their margins. A few leaves caught my eye however, they had red/purple colors.

The uppermost leaves are where alkaloids are found in the largest concentration and at this time the alkaloid levels are at their highest in literature. The plants are a bit drought stressed as well.

There are visible patches of different phenotypes here, some are a bit taller, some have more purple in their inflorescence than others. Something looking like P. aquatica is in the area as well.

I chew on the leaves of the P. arundinacea, just the top two leaves. They are often sweet but these were salty. Go figure.
0_o attached the following image(s):
IMG_20180921_145320.jpg (153kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

0_o
#2 Posted : 9/21/2018 9:55:19 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

The image quality isn't ideal, the shade was a rather dark maroon.

grollum
#3 Posted : 9/22/2018 12:09:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

and you think the color might indicate high dimitri levels?
I think this might not be the case. but i love those colors.
i would say the only way to find out is to extract and test.

0_o
#4 Posted : 9/22/2018 3:36:50 PM

ⁿ°ⁿ↔ρ└ªγ³r κhªrªκτ³r

The flavor of the material indicates more alkaloid than a lot of the surrounding plants but what the alkaloid is and how much there is... ? I've no idea. I suspect it is gramine the plants showing this coloring are so few I expect them to be homologous recessive.

I suspect the pigments employ a similar enzyme pathway to alkaloids.
I don't have any interest in attempting an extraction. I did collect a few lbs of seeds from what I expect is over 1000 plants in early summer but I don't want to sort through seedlings to find better clones.