We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
First attempt growing shrooms (ready growkit) Options

Beetjehyper
#21 Posted : 8/15/2018 7:24:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So this morning i found a few mushrooms like this??

Skin is opening up and it seems that they have stopt growing.
So it looks like my second flush again will be short stumpy shrooms.

Really would like to know what i'm doing wrong.
Beetjehyper attached the following image(s):
20180815_081446.jpg (1,683kb) downloaded 124 time(s).
20180815_081502.jpg (1,545kb) downloaded 126 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Sakkadelic
#22 Posted : 8/15/2018 8:11:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

They still can grow more, the one with just the side opening is a mutation and will grow more, the other ones i think they still have their veil attached but developed rings like in the first flush, leave them they will grow more
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Beetjehyper
#23 Posted : 8/15/2018 9:02:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oké i will leave them so they can grow some more.
It just looks real nasty when the skin comes off.
It's like those with skin off look sickSick i made
A few better pictures so you can see what i meen.

Thx for the advice againThumbs up
20180815_095641.jpg (2,956kb) downloaded 114 time(s).
20180815_095554.jpg (2,898kb) downloaded 115 time(s).
20180815_095459.jpg (2,791kb) downloaded 115 time(s).

Sakkadelic
#24 Posted : 8/15/2018 11:15:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah they look a bit concerning, maybe they have some infection, Verticillium infection can make mushrooms peel but i don't know if this is the case or not, i would increase FAE a bit and reduce misting, if the shrooms stay wet for too long an infection will get worse.. how often are you misting?

how is the drying going?

you got some nice fat pins, i hope they grow big and do well this time
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Beetjehyper
#25 Posted : 8/15/2018 1:54:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Should i pick the ones out showing the strange formations?

I mist 1 time every day in the morning and 2 times FAE during the day.

The condens on the cake is usually is gone in 2 hours after misting

Sakkadelic
#26 Posted : 8/15/2018 2:09:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Beetjehyper wrote:
Should i pick the ones out showing the strange formations?

I mist 1 time every day in the morning and 2 times FAE during the day.

The condens on the cake is usually is gone in 2 hours after misting

sounds good, though FAE refers the passive air exchange that happens through the holes you made in the tub.
pick them only if they stop growing and start turning dark(aborting)

Beetjehyper
#27 Posted : 8/15/2018 2:33:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sakkadelic thx for al the quick respons Thumbs up

The tub i made was just an idea in my head. Later today i found out there is a name for it (shotgun) Wut? and i did do some things wrong. I made 2 big squares and covered them with a microfilter so nothing unfiltered can gett in. And shotgun has holes drilled on al sites free and open. (Is that not more infection hazard) everything can enter trough those holes?

I orderd a computerfan to putt over the holes i made because i do not think enough air gets through the filters without a bit of force. But the fan isn't in jet so i still need to do it the old fasion way. Opening to let fresh air get in.

And 1 more question, it took the shrooms 5 days to get as they are now. But i read that after pin shows it takes 5 to 7 days for them to mature. Do some shrooms take longer to grow up

Sakkadelic
#28 Posted : 8/15/2018 3:10:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah the SGFC has a grid of holes in it, there's many tutorials on how to make it.. the style you made is more close to a monotub, which is a tub with few but bigger holes filled with polyfil or covered with micropore tape(like you did), the design you made might be good but it's better to follow the proven and tried methods..

the moment the cake is birthed and comes in contact with air all sorts of contaminants land on it, the purpose of the micropore or the polyfil(in fruiting chambers) is not to filter the air but to regulate the air exchange and hold the moisture otherwise the cake will dry up fast.. in the case of SGFC bcz the holes are small and the presence of wet perlite, this creates the balance between humidity and FAE so there's no need to cover the holes..

about contamination there's a lot of misconception, i'll try too explain a bit..
once the mycelium colonizes all the nutrition and is healthy, it's very unlikely that it will get contaminated even if exposed to contaminants(which always happens since you expose it to open air), the mycelium can defend itself and if there is no uncolonized parts the contaminants have no place to strike.. after several flushes and as the mycelium weakens it becomes more prone to contamination. in most cases of contamination, the contaminant is already in the spawn, the cake doesn't catch it in the fruiting stage but already has it.
so from the moment of fruiting and after there is no need to be extra clean, bcz the cakes already have contaminants all over them and you can do nothing about it.
however there is certain infections that can happen if the FAE is low or some other bad conditions.. if the mushrooms stay wet for too long they become infected with bacteria.

like i said passive fresh air exchange is better, a fan is not a good idea, the holes you made are not ideal compared to how the holes are in a monotub but they are big and seem good, you can make two smaller holes on the other sides but make them at cake level and cover them with micropore too

yes it takes around 7 days and up to 10 for pins to mature but their growth is not linear, first few days they grow little last 2 days they explode

Sakkadelic
#29 Posted : 8/15/2018 3:23:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

and since you already ordered the fan you can make your DIY dehydrator Big grin
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=807476#post807476
check this thread to see how it is, and for info about dehydration, it's important to use heat to lock in the potency and dry the shrooms fast, desiccant is not good enough.
or if you buy a cheap food dehydrator it's much much better Thumbs up
it's a shame to do all the effort to grow shrooms and then not to dry them properly

Beetjehyper
#30 Posted : 8/15/2018 9:47:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sakkadelic wrote:
yeah the SGFC has a grid of holes in it, there's many tutorials on how to make it.. the style you made is more close to a monotub, which is a tub with few but bigger holes filled with polyfil or covered with micropore tape(like you did), the design you made might be good but it's better to follow the proven and tried methods..

the moment the cake is birthed and comes in contact with air all sorts of contaminants land on it, the purpose of the micropore or the polyfil(in fruiting chambers) is not to filter the air but to regulate the air exchange and hold the moisture otherwise the cake will dry up fast.. in the case of SGFC bcz the holes are small and the presence of wet perlite, this creates the balance between humidity and FAE so there's no need to cover the holes..

about contamination there's a lot of misconception, i'll try too explain a bit..
once the mycelium colonizes all the nutrition and is healthy, it's very unlikely that it will get contaminated even if exposed to contaminants(which always happens since you expose it to open air), the mycelium can defend itself and if there is no uncolonized parts the contaminants have no place to strike.. after several flushes and as the mycelium weakens it becomes more prone to contamination. in most cases of contamination, the contaminant is already in the spawn, the cake doesn't catch it in the fruiting stage but already has it.
so from the moment of fruiting and after there is no need to be extra clean, bcz the cakes already have contaminants all over them and you can do nothing about it.
however there is certain infections that can happen if the FAE is low or some other bad conditions.. if the mushrooms stay wet for too long they become infected with bacteria.

like i said passive fresh air exchange is better, a fan is not a good idea, the holes you made are not ideal compared to how the holes are in a monotub but they are big and seem good, you can make two smaller holes on the other sides but make them at cake level and cover them with micropore too

yes it takes around 7 days and up to 10 for pins to mature but their growth is not linear, first few days they grow little last 2 days they explode

Thx for the explanationVery happy

Now i think i'm getting the picture, no more IPA baths, sterile clothing, breathing mask, cat outside before i open the tubLaughing

No but really you gave me some more insides in how things workThumbs up i will read some tutorials about the sgfc and monotub and build a new one for the next time i am growing some shrooms. I will get the hang of it...

And i will buy a food dehydrator tomorrow, they are real cheap here found one for 30,- euro
What will be the ideal temp to dry them?

A few caps where opening so took those out before i get spores on my cake just to be sure.
They are drying on my diy dehydrator 0.1 haha temp of the metal plate is at 32c so hope they are crack dry tomorrow morning
20180815_221342.jpg (2,903kb) downloaded 80 time(s).
20180815_221214.jpg (3,096kb) downloaded 80 time(s).
20180815_221925.jpg (4,472kb) downloaded 79 time(s).

Sakkadelic
#31 Posted : 8/15/2018 11:12:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool idea Thumbs up
Yeah on the fruiting stage you don't need to be extra clean, getting the conditions right is what matters most

Temps above 40C are good enough and the higher the better, they dry faster, so use the highest setting in the dehydrator, you can boil shrooms at 100C with no loss.. make sure to give the shrooms from first flush a run in the dehydrator too.

I learned most of what i know on my first grow too, i only did 2 grows so far so i don't have much experience but i did my research very well.

Simply_Me
#32 Posted : 8/16/2018 6:01:53 AM

Live the Life you Love

I believe that the fruiting all over the cake is why they are small and don't seem to doing that well. See in the pictures of shrooms growing on the side pressed up against the plastic? That wouldn't happen if you blocked the light in most places. For example, if your cake is 80% covered in black mylar and 20% exposed the mycelium will be eating 100% of the cake and instead of trying to fruit on all 6 sides, it will only fruit on the 20% exposed.
I realize that no one book, one person, or even one ideology will have all the answers. I believe my job is to remain open yet discriminating. My intuition helps me discern truth, and wisdom helps me identify malicious intentions.

Sakkadelic
#33 Posted : 8/16/2018 9:23:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Blocking light does not prevent side pinning, light is only a minor factor affecting pinning, it's just that the conditions at the sides were better than those on top

Beetjehyper
#34 Posted : 8/16/2018 9:39:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

@ simply_me

I started with leaving de cake in the box where it came in so less light would hit the sides.
That didn't help. And seeing the poor shrooms being crushed on the sides i decided to free themBig grin

Well sakkadelic, the lightbulb with fan dried them but still not crack dryThumbs down so i'm getting the food dehydrator to help me out. Max is 70c that's no problem if i understand correct?

And 1 more thing, mycelium growing op the shrooms. Clean it off or just leave it when i harvest?

They are not getting bigger But they are getting fatterLaughing
20180816_111230.jpg (2,919kb) downloaded 56 time(s).

obliguhl
#35 Posted : 8/16/2018 10:40:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some funky mushrooms you got there. I agree, you can let them grow a bit more. I personally believe that the smaller the more potent though. So collect aborts that stop growing, those with a very dark cap.

Standard pf tek:

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Pftek

Sakkadelic
#36 Posted : 8/16/2018 11:03:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah it takes time to dry that way, in my DIY dehydrator it takes 24hrs, and yes 70C is best, it's always recommended to put the dehydrator on highest setting.. you might find a lot of old posts on shroomery saying heat will kill potency but all the new posts and professional cultivators use it.
https://www.shroomery.or...nds-Down-1-Drying-Method

About the mycelium growing on the shrooms can u a pic from inside..

Beetjehyper
#37 Posted : 8/16/2018 1:50:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To bad they didn't have the dehydrator in storeCrying or very sad i orderd it and in 2 days it should be in

Update my shrooms look like this now.....
20180816_144622.jpg (3,676kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
20180816_144603.jpg (3,691kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
20180816_144553.jpg (3,778kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
20180816_144546.jpg (3,529kb) downloaded 47 time(s).
20180816_144539.jpg (3,573kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

Beetjehyper
#38 Posted : 8/17/2018 7:05:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can someone help me out?

I found black dots on the bodem of the stem on a few shrooms.
I think it is on the spot where the white fuzz was. Now the white
Fuzz is retreating and these show up? Harmless? Can they still be eaten?
20180817_074958.jpg (3,002kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
20180817_075017.jpg (3,135kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
20180817_075052.jpg (2,095kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
20180817_075114.jpg (2,435kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
20180817_075334.jpg (2,790kb) downloaded 37 time(s).
20180817_075503.jpg (3,074kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

Sakkadelic
#39 Posted : 8/17/2018 8:35:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if you notice it was on some of the mushrooms in the previous pics.. i think it's bacteria, pseudomonas maybe? you can peel off that infected outer layer when you harvest.. on my last grow i had pseudomonas and i still ate them after drying(which will kill the bacteria), to make sure you can make a tea when you want to consume..

both the white fuzz and the bacteria are signs of low FAE, did you make the other holes?

Beetjehyper
#40 Posted : 8/17/2018 10:51:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes i see now. I made some holes but too late i gues.

Oké i will clean them properly and now i hope my 3e
Flush will be the greatestBig grin

I'm picking them 1 by 1 when veil opens to maximize yeilds.

There are a few shrooms that got big enough to be proud onThumbs up
15344994776715736590587239611055.jpg (3,188kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
15344995114467144739050010990132.jpg (3,352kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
15344995492497790983778315364624.jpg (3,106kb) downloaded 30 time(s).

PREV123NEXT