We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Condensation issues with pyrex dishes. Please help! Options

Peverly
#1 Posted : 7/10/2018 7:31:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Been a while folks, hope everyone has been keeping safe, happy and as healthy as we can be these days, both physically and mentally. I am not exactly sure if this is the place for this post, I may even delete the thread if I feel it necessary.

I have done some research on the forums and found some help on the issue but not too much. Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to me and those who might but hopefully do not run into the problems I seem to have gotten myself into here.

So I am currently in the process of my third extraction and I seem to just be getting worse! Using Cybs Hybrid btw which has worked absolute wonders for me.

I will cut right to it. 5 pulls have been in the freezer for 24 hours. It is... HOT inside my house and I have no A/C which lead to my ingenious idea. Scared to leave the trays in this heat I thought, why not fan dry inside the freezer itself? So I did just that, drained the naphtha, leaned the dish at an angle and put my small desk fan inside the freezer blowing on it. I come back an hour later to see absolutely beautiful white fluff caked all over.

I start scraping the dish and its going well until the entire thing gets saturated with water from condensation. All the xtals started melting, I scrape what i can and put it on paper and it melts into the paper. Freaking out, i throw the dish back in the freezer and the paper as well.

Pulled the sucker back out today and said F it. leaned it up against a wall with a fan and let it dry out. Luckily... I still managed to salvage what didn't melt into the paper and there was still some scrap-able xtal left on the dish after the water evaporated. I am left now with honestly a decent amount of this slightly yellow... chunky powder. That is fine because its only 1 out of 5 pulls. Right?

So just now I think okay, lets not leave the next dish inside the freezer uncovered with a fan, lets do the normal drain naphtha, leave upside down for 20 mins then fan dry further for 20-an hour or so. I take the pan out, drain it, flip it upside down at an angle and the dang thing starts precipitating again! Water beads form from every surface so I freak out, throw it leaned up against a wall with the fan blowing and I watch as little beads turn to streams of water streaking down the dish melting everything in its path.

I just got back from checking on it and it is all gone. The second pan is oily and reeks of spice though so I know its still there. I will clean it with warm naphtha and add it to the rest of my used naphtha collection. The first pan that I was able to scrap is also still clearly caked and reeks of spice goo. So I will do the same to that.

I have 3 more pulls to evaporate. I DO NOT WANT TO RUIN THESE ONES AS WELL lol. So my questions are as follows.

TLDR: DMT xtals melting when I take them out of freezer. Could be condensation because my house sits at a constant HUMID 85 degrees until I get a cool night to open windows and lower temps and humidity. Don't do what I did and put a desk fan in your freezer to "dry" the dish because it will not work. Novice mistake...

- Is it the temperature of my house? I feel like I cant be the only one out here extracting in some heat... If it is... what do I do?
- Should I just leave them in the freezer until it gets cooler in my house?
- How do I take out my next 3 pulls successfully? I am too scared to lose the spice! I understand that there could still be naphtha on the dish but how can I fully evaporate it without it warming up and mixing with condensation and melting everything in sight?
- Does it simply mean that my dishes weren't completely air locked?

I am at a loss here. As stated I have 3 more dishes in the freezer of which SHOULD be sealed just about as air tight as they can be. I am going to let them sit until the temps drop tonight into the 60's.

If i have anymore questions I will make edits and replies to posts otherwise I am keeping my eyes on this.

“My brain is only a receiver, in the Universe there is a core from which we obtain knowledge, strength and inspiration. I have not penetrated into the secrets of this core, but I know that it exists.”

― Nikola Tesla

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Northerner
#2 Posted : 7/11/2018 1:25:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I also live in a very hot and humid place, this is my approach for avoiding condensation...

After removing from the freezer and pouring off the solvent I recover the dish straight away and wrap in a towel. Then I let it sit there until it reaches room temp (will take some hours) and then fan dry. As your humidity is high your xtals will probably melt anyway, but at least you won't have teaspoons of water pooling in your dishes too. I then leave under a direct fan until any droplets have dried, then using 2 stanley blades measure the goo straight into a shotglass. Then I add solvent and harmalas and make changa or enhanced leaf with it.

Crystals are pretty but not necessary. DMT is DMT no matter it's form, and changa is an excellent way to smoalk. Thumbs up
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

JefFlux
#3 Posted : 1/15/2022 9:34:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I’ve encountered this issue several times when doing open plate evaporation with a fan (never used the freeze out precipitation method as have always had good results from open air evaporation)

Except …when the humidity in the environment is high !

When this is the case, water droplets start to form all over the surface of the yield. The water droplets begin to appear as soon as the solvent has started to disappear, or has reached full evaporation and is no longer present.

As the water seems to increase the longer the fan is run over the otherwise dry result layer - is the fan pulling moisture from the atmosphere onto the plate in the form of condensation ?- or is the moisture from the air getting into the solvent while it is being fanned somehow ?

DansMaTete
#4 Posted : 1/15/2022 12:59:02 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Also in a hot and humid place, my solution is to have a small spare fridge with no food inside.
After freezing, quickly poor maximun of solvent out of the dish, replace i upside-down in the freezer to let drop the remaining solvent in the cover. After a while,put the dish in the fridge to evap the solvent (open the fridge door once in while to remove solvent vapor). Once it's done (I takes time) you can put the dish at room temp with a cover to avoid condensation and when water doesn't condense anymore remove the cover and let dry a bit more before scrapping the star bits.
« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Dirty T
#5 Posted : 1/15/2022 9:02:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wrap my dishes in oven bags for 2 reasons, keeps water and trash out and keeps the NPS in where it belongs. Evaporating in the freezer gets it in the food and creates a lot of flammable vapors.