We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
To what extent are cacao nibs psychoactive? Options

AwesomeUsername
#1 Posted : 6/28/2018 7:13:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I read here on the nexus about a LSD, raw cacao combo and was accused of jumping to conclusions about this stuff not doing much.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with this topic, and have seen it by now on the nexus.

Anyways, I made my own decided to give it a try, to see what the hype is all about.

I bought raw cacao nibs that have undergone minimal processing. By minimal I mean they were just taken out of the shell. Not powdered, not a paste, but still ready to eat as they are.

Since they contained no additional ingredients but cacao I can tell you that they smelled and tasted absolutely disgusting, but I did manage to get them down in the combo with some unsweetened coconut milk (the real one, not the watered down vitamin fortified ones you see at the supermarket) blended together in a blender.

I had a total of 200 grams of it and drank it in two occasions. One right away, one an hour later.

Boy I didn't expect it to be so damn filling, but hey I wasn't hungry anymore after that so who am I to complain?

It seems from the topic here on nexus, and some reports at erowid that it should produce some psychoactive effect, one report at erowid stating it is even psychedelic.

I can't seem to feel it, and I'm guessing I've had enough of it.

I still think it can be a healthy addition to your diet, but other than that where is that bliss everybody is talking about?

Does it kick in ridiculously late? Haven't I had enough of it to feel the effects? Is that really it? Am I expecting too much from it?

Worth to note I do include some spices in my diet daily which might or might not produce psychoative effects. One of them is garam masala, a blend with spices that contain an unique alkaloidal profile that supposedly heats up the body, sharpens focus, improves mood and so on.

I eat that daily and still I don't feel like I'm burning up, my focus is still a wreck, and mood, well... You can kinda see from my posts that I was and stayed a cranky ass motherf***er that doesn't know how to help himself but still tries anyways.

Can anyone provide me some insight at why the hype? It seems from my experience that all these wonder spices, superfoods, adaptogens and god knows what supplements that "help" people, are about equal to placebo.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Nicita
#2 Posted : 6/28/2018 8:32:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is really not so much about raw or roasted cacao, but about the variety and how much of the active chemicals it contains, as well as the ratio of different compounds.
It's a bit like cannabis. When everybody tells you that they get high from smoking it and you try smoking some industrial hemp with <0.3% THC and some CBD and then complain that you didn't really feel that much.
The difference is that active hemp is much more common than active cacao.
Most of the cacao varieties on the market are breeds for high yield, easy processing, fast growth, maybe flavour, but not for a strong psychoactivity.

Therefore finding an active variety is key to feel the blissful, heart opening, entactogenic effects of the food of the gods, and believe me, you WILL feel it when you have the right one. The "raw" part has less to do with it, as long as the bean is not roasted at very high temperatures. The active variety I drink is carefully roasted on low heat. In fact, the raw beans often still have their husk on them, and there are some chemicals in that part that are not that good to consume. Paste has also the same effects as beans, so the "unprocessed" part is of little significance either.

You most likely had some Forastero, which is the most common variety and you should be looking for Criollo, and even then, not every Criollo will do the trick and to get the best beans, you need to know where to seek.

obliguhl
#3 Posted : 6/28/2018 10:27:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
It's a bit like cannabis. When everybody tells you that they get high from smoking it and you try smoking some industrial hemp with <0.3% THC and some CBD and then complain that you didn't really feel that much.
The difference is that active hemp is much more common than active cacao.

Spot on. It might take some tries until you found someone supplying you with psychoactive beans.

Quote:
You most likely had some Forastero, which is the most common variety and you should be looking for Criollo, and even then, not every Criollo will do the trick and to get the best beans, you need to know where to seek.

Unfortunatly, I had completly inactive Criollo.....and very active Forastero that was even better than so called "ceremonial grade" cacao.

Nicita
#4 Posted : 6/29/2018 12:33:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
I had completly inactive Criollo.....and very active Forastero

Interesting, I didn't find very active Forastero yet, good to know. And yes, there is also a lot of inactive Criollo around. The comparison to cannabis works well here again. You can find mostly inactive sativas and very active ruderalis.

"Ceremonial grade" can just be a sales pitch... You really need to know where to look or a good deal of luck.