We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First graft success Options

smoothmonkey
#1 Posted : 6/26/2018 4:05:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello fellow humanoids,

I recently grafted a 9 month old peyote onto a nice PC pach with success!

A few years back when i started growing cacti, many of you and your beautiful gardens were a source of inspiration. I've wanted to try this out since seeing those posts. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and photos. Smile

--For now it's in the shade with maybe a few hours of direct light a day in the afternoon. I'm wondering: what are optimal lighting conditions for something like this? Columnar cacti like full sun, and peyote mostly shade if I'm not mistaken. But then I've seen people growing their grafted cactus indoors under intense lights?

Can't wait to see this guy bubble up!

Peace

-smoothmonkey
smoothmonkey attached the following image(s):
IMG_2081.JPG (2,085kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#2 Posted : 6/26/2018 7:24:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Congratulations. Would be nice to see some progress pix as it bulks up.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Wakinyan
#3 Posted : 7/15/2018 2:04:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any follow up for this one?

Thumbs up Either way, congratulations on your first graft.
When I graft you graft we graft

smoothmonkey
#4 Posted : 7/16/2018 9:56:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! The graft seems to have taken; however, 2 areoles near the cut of the grafting stock have started pupping!! They will most definitely take up lots of space and I'm wondering if I'd be better just cutting them off to give the loph it's due space? I wonder if the stock is sending most of it's energy towards these new pups as opposed to sending it all to the loph?
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Wakinyan
#5 Posted : 7/17/2018 4:48:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

smoothmonkey wrote:
Thanks! The graft seems to have taken; however, 2 areoles near the cut of the grafting stock have started pupping!! They will most definitely take up lots of space and I'm wondering if I'd be better just cutting them off to give the loph it's due space? I wonder if the stock is sending most of it's energy towards these new pups as opposed to sending it all to the loph?

The safer bet... is to remove the pups and force the scion to grow and ensure 100% of the energy goes into the scion.
When I graft you graft we graft