We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
adequate bottle for salt extraction Options

motorbit
#1 Posted : 5/21/2018 11:29:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hi!

i want to do the salt extraction tek.

the pictures on the wiki show a bottle that looks like a juice bottle, however, would not the cap get dissolved by the heated naphtha?

even hdpe is only rated "conditionally resistant" to petrols at 60°, and i have problems finding even a glass bottle with a hdpe cap. i do find great botles with pp caps, but these wont resist the heated naphtha at all.

can i just use an Erlenmeyer flask or would this make it to difficult to shake up the contents?

so what bottles do you use? and where can i get them?

thank you!

edit: nvm. found a web shop that has very reasonably priced glass bottles. why do i always only find stuff after i asked? ah well. it worked so that's cool.
FASCINATING

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

xenid
#2 Posted : 5/22/2018 2:04:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In my experience, mason jars are the best extraction containers, not only are they usually labeled but the lid comes in two parts, the cover and the screw. This is incredibly handy because you can simply remove the center part of the lid and use the screw to keep a layer or two of plastic wrapper in place. This keeps both pressure from building up and the naphtha from evaporating.

They are also easily acquired.
Take it easy dude, but take it.

motorbit
#3 Posted : 5/22/2018 10:04:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hey, i never have seen these glasses! they are interesting indeed.
i see two probems tho.

1: dont they need a rubber seal? and if so, how does the rubber seal react to warm naphtha?

2: i do have a good friend who is not much interested in psychonautics, but happens to be a chemist. he warned me expressively that when i mix acids and bases the volume would increase and this would be relay dangerous if i use containers that are screwed tight - especially because the used liquids are all but harmless. now. he said as long as i knew this and i payed attention to release the pressure (as mentioned in the tek anyhow) i would be fine, but this IS a potential source of danger that can be easily avoided with adequate equipment (a glass plug just would pop out of the bottle instead of the bottle blowing up).

sadly most flasks with glass plugs are really expensive, and when just browsing amazon i did not find anything good. however, in the end i did find a shop that had some very nice flasks at a reasonable price, so i ended up buying these: they are called "wide neck glass reagent bottle with stopper" and most labor suppliers sell them.
i ended up paying 8€ fora 1l flask and 10.5€ for a 2l bottle. i think considering safety and chemical resistance this is money very well spend.
FASCINATING