We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Attempting extraction from Caapi vine Options

Sunnyside
#1 Posted : 5/18/2018 6:08:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm wading around over here in the kiddie pool, and hoping you generous folks will indulge me, yet again.

I'm following the gilbran2 "Easy Caapi Vine Alkaloid Extraction Guide".

After my boils, I added lye to water, and that solution into my acid-boiled vine, just as the Tek indicates.
3 clarifications:
1 - the Tek uses 64g shredded vine, I used 100g;
2 - my vine was more of a powder than a shred, so I poured-off my boiled liquids through coffee filters and collected lots of sludge
3 - based on quantity of liquid, I felt like I had reduced too much in the final reduction, so added a bit of water - maybe 200 ml

First picture will be the reduced liquid, muddy brown (before I diluted with more water).

Second picture will be after I diluted and it now contains the lye/water solution. This photo is actually about 3 hours after I added the base solution.

And that is why I am discussing. According to the Tek, the alkaloids would be settling out, and the solution clearing up, but even 15 hours later, that is not happening for me.

I found this thread and it seems it is my exact issue: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=34836
Though I can't see any of the pictures it mentions, I suspect my problem is very similar to behindthelight's issue, and the snozzleberry seems to make a very clear explanation. I think I can resume, following that guidance.

I also came across this thread: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=62311
And this post from the very esteemed dreamer042 literally leaps off the page at me:
dreamer042 wrote:
Correct, basing it out is for extracting purified harmalas,
*****which I highly advise against with caapi.*****
Use rue for that, it's much cheaper and yields a lot better. Save vine for drinking.

With caapi leaf the
*****harmalas don't precip for one reason or another*****,
so generally you either want to make a crude 10x or similar ...

So anyway. I will work my way through this, get what I can out of it, and then will probably save my Caapi vine for drinking. For harmala extractions, I will turn to the rue seeds.

The other pictures:
(number 3 in this sequence) - after settling overnight
(next) - closeup of the settlings
(finally) - the pH

Any comments and guidance are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sunnyside attached the following image(s):
IMG_8997.JPG (890kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
IMG_8999.JPG (813kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
IMG_9001.JPG (784kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
IMG_9003.JPG (668kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
IMG_9004.JPG (649kb) downloaded 124 time(s).
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 5/19/2018 10:19:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I think you basically got it all under figured out... If I wanted to extract harmalas, I'd go for rue which is way cheaper. I'd keep caapi for drinking the whole tea. But it's always cool to experiment, and now you're already underway so its all good Smile

From your pics, the pH is right, and it seems the alks are precipitating, just not fully settling, but partly suspended in solution. That is just fine... Pass through coffee filter, and grab whatever is on top of the filter. Might be a bit slow to filter but it will eventually go through. If you plan on doing several harmala extractions in the next months/years, I highly recommend getting a vacuum filtration kit (something like this + this or this)

If you have any more doubts, feel free to ask..

Dont forget to let us know the final results and how your experience is if you consume it Smile

Good luck!

Sunnyside
#3 Posted : 5/29/2018 11:04:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, endlessness.

I used coffee filters, as you recommended, and it took time, just as you said it would. I'm working on putting together a vacuum filtration, as you suggest.

This is probably boring to most everyone, but here it is, anyway -

First picture is filtered and settling alkaloids,
Second is decanted and poured,
Third is drying out, and
Fourth is the final product, not a great yield but I'm still happy about it, 574mg from 100g shredded/powdered red caapi vine.

Sunnyside attached the following image(s):
IMG_9027.JPG (738kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
IMG_9030.JPG (659kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
IMG_9034.JPG (963kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
IMG_9036.JPG (617kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
" Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon
"No, they never did turn me into a toad." - Pete (O Brother, Where Art Thou?)
"Are you a time traveller?" "No, I think I'm more of a time prisoner." - Nadia Vulvokov (Russian Doll)

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/1/2018 8:22:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sunnyside wrote:
This is probably boring to most everyone, but here it is, anyway -

Pictures of alkaloids precipitating always brighten up my day! Nice job.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli