We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Separate IPA from Naphtha Options

Nitegazer
#1 Posted : 5/7/2018 4:38:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One of the things I have been experimenting with is FASI out of Naphtha. Results have been good, but there has been a down-side to that route: IPA is miscible in Naphtha and I would like to be able to re-use the Naphtha.

Could I simply wash the Naphtha will water several times to get rid of the alcohol and any residual fumarate? Endlessness indicated that Xylene could be washed to remove the acetone from FASA and I'm hopeful the same principal can be applied: What can I do with my FASA/Xylene solution leftovers?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 5/7/2018 7:56:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Washing the naptha with water will remove the ipa.

Im unsure to which extend and you should probably not expect the naptha to be fully clean without distilling it first.

Nitegazer
#3 Posted : 5/7/2018 9:19:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the reply Ulim. I'm glad it will work in principal.

My hope is to be able to re-use the Naphtha for 4-6 extractions. After that, it's off to the Tiki torches for disposal.

When washing the Naphtha, I use about 1/3 of the solvent's volume in water and repeat three times-- shaking vigorously. The first wash also includes a few grams of NaOH, to ensure any remaining fumaric acid is converted to a more soluble salt.

I don't know if I'm doing too little, or if the process is a bit overkill.