We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A few general extraction questions from a novice Options

Pokey
#1 Posted : 11/24/2009 3:21:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So I've been wondering about a few things.

When pulling, if the naptha picks up some micro emulsions, does that mean it can hold less DMT? I know that a given volume of non polar solvent has a "carrying capacity" of sorts. Do micro emulsions "carried" by the solvent take the place of the desired alkaloid?

Why does a longer time in the freezer matter for freeze precipitations? If the solvent has reached the ambient temperature in the freezer, it seems that all of the crystals that can precipitate will have done so.

When recrystalizing, the smallest amount of solvent is best. I've read either 20 ml/gram or 30 ml/gram. If everything dissolves with much less, is it OK to stop at that much smaller amount (like 10 ml/gram)?

I know this has been brushed on in other threads, but is there a recommended A/B tek with no heat? The smell permeates everything which makes an A/B with heat impossible until warmer weather. But after the challenges I've had with STB recently, I'm ready to go back to A/B right away if possible.

Thanks in advance for helping an apprentice!Smile

Pokey

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

cashewman1
#2 Posted : 11/24/2009 5:23:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Question 1: I would say it would have a very very minute effect, nothing to worry about though just do an extra extraction with a small volume of solvent, shouldnt have any serious affect on the solutbility equilibria of the solvent either way. I have had this problem before and just did more smaller pulls and noticed no problem

2: Ambient seems like an improper word, i'm not really sure what your stating/asking. Think of it this way, while a large amount has precipitated and you wont see any massive gain after the initial precipitation, the longer it is in the freezer the less soluble the solvent becomes, allowing the previous crystals to grow. At the lower temps the reverse reaction taking place of your crystals redissolving is negligible in any quantitative degree so better to be safe then sorry, but my friend only leaves his in for about 12-24 hours.

3: Sometimes there are a lot of things that do not actually dissolve and you only think that the full solute has been dissolved in the solvent because you see it, but there can be a lot left over, especially if you use a small enough amount to fully saturate the solvent before dissolving all your spice, but try it out and let us know, maybe it will be fine.

4. Im wondering what your using, if its MHRB then i would say give STB another chance because it so straight forwards its hard to loose on it really. But my friend tried QT's tek for students, there is no real acid boil involved if i remember correctly but that could be wrong. Either way my friend ended up screwing up some final filter steps and found the whole tek completely unnecessary for using something like MHRB

Hope it helps
I am here to restructure my priorities in a way to most benefit all

-Everything posted here is fantasy please do not misinterpret the posting of a role playing board for reality

Pokey
#3 Posted : 11/24/2009 9:51:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Cashewman!Smile