We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Theobromine extraction from cacao beans Options

Phlux-
#1 Posted : 11/23/2009 2:36:33 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Got a paq of cacao beans that went slightly fermented smelling - perfect opportunity to try extract something new i say.

Anyone got ideas on how this can happen ?
or a link to a good extraction tek ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

nadir
#2 Posted : 11/24/2009 7:38:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i was thinking about same thing Smile
found this : "The product distributions in the extraction process were studied experimentally. In a chloroform-water system, the caffeine distribution ratio was about 15 and was not affected by pH in the 2 to 12 range, while the distribution ratio of theobromine was about 0.45 for pH < 5 and was strongly affected by the pH of the aqueous phase. The distribution ratio of theobromine was near zero for pH > 10. Therefore, theobromine and caffeine can be recovered separately by adjusting the pH in the aqueous phase. The crude products of theobromine and caffeine can been obtained in the recovery process by evaporation. "
however, it seems that theobromine is almost insoluble in ".. benzene, ether, chloroform, and carbon tetrachloride"
here's an idea:
1. make cacao by boiling cacao beans in water
2. make defat with chloroform (or something else) - that should help get rid of oils and other xanthines(caffeine etc.)
3. acidify brew with vinegar/hcl(?) and pull with chloroform( or something else)
4. evap. chloroform
will that work?
other idea is to saturate acetone(as i remember most of the xanthines are soluble in acetone) with citric acid and pull cacao beans..
all my posts are random generated and can not be evaluated as distinct ideas

Evening Glory wrote:
This is a medicine, remember, not some video you can watch inside your head.

69ron
#3 Posted : 11/24/2009 8:10:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can buy pure theobromine really cheap. Why extract it? It will be a lot of trouble and save you only a little money.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 11/25/2009 12:14:17 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

but where's the fun of just buying it, or essential oils, when one can extract them

theobromine is actually soluble in chloroform and methylene chloride, but it's easily pulled with alcohols... theobromine has one proton donor, and two acceptors.
swim did a dark cocoa extraction with a soxhlet full of everclear; off-white (very light brown) powder and cocoa butter were the result
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#5 Posted : 11/25/2009 7:51:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you like extracting it could be a fun project. But for practical reasons it's better to just buy it. To be honest though I'd much rather eat some chocolate than have my theobromine in pure form. I have some theobromine tablets. The effect is the same as eating chocolate, even when you have a lot of theobromine it doesn't do much. It's relatively uninteresting on its own.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Phlux-
#6 Posted : 11/25/2009 8:02:42 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Well i love dark chocolate - but i love extracting too.(benzyme hit the nail on the head)
Why extract it - because i love extracting things myself - brings a huge amount of reward, i enjoy the processes - The nexus and many of your guys posts made me realize this.

I have methylene chloride - not chloroform(but i guess i can make some up if its required)
How was the butter and powder separated at the end ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 11/26/2009 1:42:22 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

vacuum filtration, but they weren't separated further.
theobromine is a crystalline alkaloid and cocoa butter is a mixure of fatty acids.. breaking up the solid cake-like extract separates some of it as powder.

but one could also separate it with a column. Cool
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck