We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is this rot? (grain spawn advice) Options

blue.magic
#1 Posted : 4/16/2018 11:27:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some of my jars inoculated with P. Cubensis almost made it but I found one grain has a greenish spot looking like mould. The glass around the spot was sweated with water. The greenish part never expanded, however, it looks like the cubensis took over.

I guess that jar is still no good as it contains potentially toxic mould, right?

Some jars (second picture) look okay but the myc refuses to colonize it fully, the mycelium becomes fluffy around the area but does not create a barrier. Could this be bacterial contamination or some kind of rot?

Thanks for any suggestions.
blue.magic attached the following image(s):
DSC_5193.JPG (396kb) downloaded 93 time(s).
DSC_5194.JPG (435kb) downloaded 91 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

sauSage
#2 Posted : 4/16/2018 1:12:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks fine - spawn it and see what happens.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

tseuq
#3 Posted : 4/16/2018 1:28:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Spot on blue.magic!

To me, both look like a contamination, better check their smell (and I would drop them in the bin).

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

Sakkadelic
#4 Posted : 4/16/2018 1:33:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Check the posts by RogerRabbit in this thread
So even if it is safe to eat mushrooms fruited from mouldy substrate it's better to discard it properly and eliminte the risk of spreading spores

And yeah that second jar does look bacterial
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

blue.magic
#5 Posted : 4/16/2018 1:43:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks. I will therefore do the cotton plug test for mould and smell test for bacteria.

I will throw the jars away. I made extra jars exactly because of this.

infinitynlove
#6 Posted : 8/24/2018 2:55:52 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Be careful with smell tests, sometimes a good whiff of a nasty infection can make you sick, ideally waft some air over the jar and smell that, so you reduce the amount of potential toxic nastiness you are inhaling

Peace <3
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

obliguhl
#7 Posted : 8/24/2018 3:43:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

First is probably trich, second bacterial.
Spawning would probably waste the tub..expect super slow colonialization that might stall at some point. Then, you might get half a fruiting cycle out of it if you're lucky....before giving your drain pipes a workout.

Avoid.

Xt
#8 Posted : 8/24/2018 6:19:25 PM

I concur with Oblighuhi. You can see the second jar has wetspot.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna