We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The importance of open mindedness and questioning one's own beliefs. Options

Raptorrr
#1 Posted : 3/31/2018 2:04:57 PM

PsilocyRaptorrr

Hey nexians, I wasn't quite sure where else to put this but I would like to share why I think open mindedness is very important, I've always known how important this was but through psychonautics, I've become more open minded myself and have made more "realisations" about open mindedness. Honestly, a book could be written on the importance of it but this should be treated as a guide for anyone that struggles with opening themselves up to other perspectives. I hope this proves helpful! Very happy

One of the things I learned from my psychedelic experiences is that debating whilst not respecting the other person's POV and not keeping an open mind will be counter productive in so many ways.

Remaining open minded is very important, if everyone's ego was too large to admit when they were wrong about something, we would get nowhere as an intelligent species. Accept that everything you think know about the world and different topics might simply be totally wrong, or wrong in certain aspects, this makes being open minded a bit easier. The same goes for anything which you hold dear to your heart, these beliefs can often be the most dangerous because they're the hardest to let go. A lot of people assume that all their beliefs are right, but this is simply not the case because there will always be a wrong or flawed idea about something. Question everything whilst remembering to keep an open mind!

As for debating, it can often be tempting to come in with the mindset of 'winning' the debate and or making the other person feel stupid or embarrassed about a belief they have because this approach can end up with you feeling good about yourself and it can end up with you silencing people easier. This is a common debate tactic people use to 'win' the debate, they'll say things like "are you retarded" or "you're so stupid for thinking that". Dont debate this way and stop it if you already do it, even if the other person is wrong about their belief. Resonating with the other person and understanding why they might hold that belief is good practice. No one 'wins' a debate, it often happens that both sides are wrong about something they've said during the debate. Debates shouldn't have to be an angry conflict in beliefs, debates should be a learning experience, multiple parties can gain from the debate and learn something new. The following video by charisma on command goes into more detail on this, regardless of what you think about jordan peterson, there's stuff to be learned: https://youtu.be/hsQLksbfDSo

Making the other person feel stupid or emotional triggers a state of cognitive dissonance where they feel under attack and will argue their point in anger without any consideration for the other person which made them feel upset. This is extremely counter productive to your belief, especially if your belief is the 'correct' one and you want other people feeling the same way about a topic as you do as you feel it could benefit society (e.g the drug war).

Raptorrr attached the following image(s):
cognitive-dissonance-vik-religion-1383952180.png (226kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
T0aAIYg.jpg.png (410kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
The human being is this night, this empty nothing, that contains everything in its simplicity—an unending wealth of many representations, images, of which none belongs to him—or which are not present. ... One catches sight of this night when one looks human beings in the eye—into a night that becomes awful - Hegel

Anything perfect is worth destroying, in fact it is desirable to destroy it, true beauty lies in imperfection - Nietzsche

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

burnt
#2 Posted : 4/16/2018 1:26:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
“The scientist has a lot of experience with ignorance and doubt and uncertainty, and this experience is of very great importance, I think. When a scientist doesn’t know the answer to a problem, he is ignorant. When he has a hunch as to what the result is, he is uncertain. And when he is pretty damn sure of what the result is going to be, he is still in some doubt. We have found it of paramount importance that in order to progress, we must recognize our ignorance and leave room for doubt. Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty — some most unsure, some nearly sure, but none absolutely certain. Now, we scientists are used to this, and we take it for granted that it is perfectly consistent to be unsure, that it is possible to live and not know. But I don’t know whether everyone realizes this is true. Our freedom to doubt was born out of a struggle against authority in the early days of science. It was a very deep and strong struggle: permit us to question — to doubt — to not be sure. I think that it is important that we do not forget this struggle and thus perhaps lose what we have gained.”

- Richard Feynman

https://www.goodreads.co...ience-with-ignorance-and