We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Fumarate->Freebase: Sodium carbonate vs bicarbonate Options

ListenPlease
#1 Posted : 3/16/2018 2:55:04 PM

Traveling light

Hey all,

I'm about to give the Sodium Carbonate Paste and Pull method a go, but there's something I'd like to understand:

Am I right that the conversion takes place pretty much as soon as the sodium carbonate solution comes in contact with the fumarate? I.e. the IPA/acetone step is simply there to isolate the freebase from the excess sodium carb?

I've also heard of people using the "ghetto" Sodium bicarb method to convert to freebase. However, in the latter, I've always understood that a bit of heat was needed in order for the reaction to take place.

The real question: Why is heat needed for sodium bicarb but (apparently) not for sodium carb?

Thanks!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 3/16/2018 4:45:04 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's best to make your own food-grade sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarbonate. The bicarbonate decomposes at a little below 100°C to produce sodium carbonate.

Have a little read of this.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Ulim
#3 Posted : 3/16/2018 5:42:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sodium Bicarbonate = NaHCO3

Sodium Carbonate = Na2CO3

Very different compounds. Na2CO3 is way stronger as a base compared to NaHCO3.

The bicarb is a crystalline powder most of the times

Sodium carbonate is always more flour like and less crystalline.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 3/16/2018 5:46:10 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ulim wrote:
The bicarb is a crystalline powder most of the times

Sodium carbonate is always more flour like and less crystalline.

Funny, I would have said the exact opposite!

The basicity explanation is correct, of course Smile

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

ListenPlease
#5 Posted : 3/16/2018 6:16:18 PM

Traveling light

Thanks for the responses, now clear.

However:

downwardsfromzero wrote:
It's best to make your own food-grade sodium carbonate by heating sodium bicarbonate.

Are you mentioning this because there are typically impurities in what is sold as "pure sodium carbonate"?

Ulim
#6 Posted : 3/16/2018 7:51:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Usually NaHCO3 is made in the same process as Na2CO3 so both should be food safe.

But usually you will find NaHCO3 way easier in good quality (food quality). Baking powder/Baking Soda = NaHCO3 in most cases. Do look at the label tho.

Na2CO3 is mostly sold for washing clothes and similar so its usually pretty much non food safe.
You can find it in food quality tho.