We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
TPM x Trichocereus peruvianus "Sharxx" Options

Wakinyan
#1 Posted : 3/6/2018 12:58:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TPM x Trichocereus peruvianus "Sharxx"

Another post that doubles as showing some grafting tips and an ongoing thread showing how this particular hybrid develops over the next few months. Again, as always please share your pictures if you have the same hybrid going as it is always nice to see what potential phenotypes may arise from a hybrid batch of seedlings.
Wakinyan attached the following image(s):
TPM x Sharx .jpg (478kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
Graft 2 TPM x Sharx 71.jpg (1,635kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
Graft 3 TPM x Sharx.jpg (497kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
Graft 4 TPM x Sharx .jpg (277kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
Graft 9 TPM x Sharx .jpg (313kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
Graft 10 TPM x Sharx .jpg (411kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
When I graft you graft we graft

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#2 Posted : 3/6/2018 8:46:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wakinyan, Can you detail your technique using parafilm to graft? What other materials do you use? I've had trouble getting some of my grafts to take on Pereskiopsis. Maybe your technique could help me achieve better results.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
โ€” Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Wakinyan
#3 Posted : 3/7/2018 2:25:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
Wakinyan, Can you detail your technique using parafilm to graft? What other materials do you use? I've had trouble getting some of my grafts to take on Pereskiopsis. Maybe your technique could help me achieve better results.

I have a few more pictures of how I graft here...

Other materials I use... I've used string, self-adhesive coban, humidity bottles (water bottles, pepsi, etc.)

What I prefer to use... parafilm and two razor blades. If I have those two items I can generally get 97.5% of my seedlings 2 weeks of age to take and up to 100% is not unheard of. However, if I can be honest, 980 successful seedling grafts out of 1000 grafts is a perfectly acceptable loss in my opinion when dealing with grafts this small and I honestly feel like anyone using my parafilm style grafting can get those types of results with just a few months practice at most.

Parafilm stretches when pulls slowly.
Parafilm rips when pulled fast.
Parafilm sticks to itself.
Parafilm keeps your seedling firmly in place so it does not float off your grafting stock.
Parafilm seals in humidity and prevents drying out of the graft thus promoting the healing of even very tiny grafts without the need to concern oneself with humidity.

With those things in mind, you need only pull two 1 inch /(2.54 cm) pieces for most small seedling grafts 2-4 weeks of age.

The first piece of parafilm you tear in half lengthwise fast. This will give you a half inch strip of parafilm to use to wrap the base of your stock Pereskiopsis or Trichocereus for example. Alternately, you can also buy parafilm in 0.5 inch rolls and forego learning to tear parafilm properly. It is a skill that is only needed if you don't want to purchase two rolls of parafilm.

Your then simply cut through your stock plant at the midpoint of the parafilm you have wrapped around it.

Place your scion off center after first cutting a 1/3 to 1/2 of your 2-4 week old seedling off. The top portion should be lightly wrapped with your 1 inch piece of parafilm. This parafilm should have been stretched thin however prior to the draping. The corners of the parafilm are brought down slowly to ensure the seedling does not tilt as this can adversely affect the ability of the seedling to take. A slight twist when your done and or a scrunching motion where the top wrap meets the wrap around the stock should tighten things up a bit.

Do not remove the parafilm ever... The graft will do this for you as the scion grows through the parafilm.

Wakinyan attached the following image(s):
pup1.jpg (1,065kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
pup2.jpg (1,797kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
pup3.jpg (1,536kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
pup4.jpg (1,062kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
prepare2wrap.jpg (1,524kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
prepare3topiece.jpg (1,644kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
preparestretch4piece.jpg (935kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
prepare6place.jpg (1,331kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
prepare7wrap.jpg (797kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
1wrap.jpg (1,022kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
2wrap.jpg (814kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
4wrap.jpg (859kb) downloaded 82 time(s).
8wrap.jpg (927kb) downloaded 82 time(s).

Mitakuye Oyasin
#4 Posted : 3/7/2018 9:14:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful. Much thanks. I am now beginning to grock your technique. Will have to get some parafilm and try for myself.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
โ€” Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Wakinyan
#5 Posted : 3/7/2018 10:09:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
Beautiful. Much thanks. I am now beginning to grock your technique. Will have to get some parafilm and try for myself.

This is this stuff I use my friend.

You can find it anywhere you like, not trying to promote one seller over another on that site, but figured I would give you a link just the same. 0.5 inches to 1 inch rolls will work for most small seedling grafts nicely. You can buy the larger stuff like this

If you can find a cheaper source, as I often can, then go for it. The larger sheets of parafilm can be cut and or torn very nicely once you get some practice and is more practical for larger grafts. However, it is easier to work with the 1 inch stuff and if you wish... get some 1/2 inch stuff to keep you from having to tear or cut your parafilm for the stock as you go around it and then cut that in half yet again.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#6 Posted : 3/8/2018 12:59:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Fantastic, thanks. Much appreciated. Have you seen some of the pereskiopsis peyote grafts anne halonium has done? If not, search her name and look for cactus threads she has commented on or posted photos on. Some very impressive results.
โ€” Terence McKenna

Wakinyan
#7 Posted : 3/8/2018 2:50:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mitakuye Oyasin wrote:
Fantastic, thanks. Much appreciated. Have you seen some of the pereskiopsis peyote grafts anne halonium has done? If not, search her name and look for cactus threads she has commented on or posted photos on. Some very impressive results.

I have most certainly seen her grafts and many others as I honestly try to study everyones grafts I see to see if there is something I can gain that may help me become a better grafter. With that said, I've taught children that were as young as 5 to graft cacti as well as trees. What I can promise you... I will do everything I can to help to guide anyone that asks to become a better grafter than I am. For me, grafting is largely about learning what works best for you in your particular environment and with the tools you have or can get. Watching how those grafts respond and learning why they respond is all about taking the time to look at your grafts each day and sharing pictures as they go so mistakes can be fixed and most importantly so we can all learn from each other as we are all related or connected.

I teach grafting and hybridizing techniques both to those that enquire as those are the things that benefit the community in the long run as the faster we can get specimens to grow the sooner we can have blooms. The sooner we have blooms the sooner we can make crosses. The sooner we can make crosses the sooner we can sow seed to graft again.

The more diversity we have to share the more I can enjoy the beauty that is inherent in a sea of varied possibilities as we each chase after our own idealized dream while the plants take us on their own journey distracting us from our best laid plans.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#8 Posted : 3/8/2018 3:47:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That is great. Yes it is a skill everyone can benefit from. I've been interested in multi graft fruit trees, like orange, tangerine, lemon and lime all on the same tree. Or a stone fruit tree like peach, nectarine, apricot. I've seen them for sale before but I'd love to try grafting branches myself. I need to work on my Pereskiopsis grafting skills. Hopefully the parafilm will help me improve my skills. Thanks again for sharing.
โ€” Terence McKenna