We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Dubstep? Options

Fatcat
#1 Posted : 11/19/2009 11:49:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love me some dubstep. Right up there with DnB as my favorite genre of techno electronic music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5_cQIhCuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSsiJPZ-dWA

http://www.mixdepot.net/dismalfutures

Any other dubstep lovers out there?
By allowing this message to pass through your cornea, into your retina, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer regarding my posts that they are a complete falsification by doing so freeing me of all liability, direct, indirect, consequential or incidental that may arise from the instillation of this post in your memory bank.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:10:51 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Fatcat wrote:
I love me some dubstep. Right up there with DnB as my favorite genre of techno.

please tell me you're joking, or just an electronic music n00b.

techno is a distinct genre of music...Adam Beyer, Marco Carola, Surgeon, Hawtin, Cari Lekebusch, Robert Hood, Jeff Mills, Kenny Larkin, Carl Craig, Frankie Bones, Matthew Dear, Ricardo Villalobos, Heiko Laux, Sutekh, Stewart Walker, Joey Beltram, Daniel Bell...(names for days)..

that's techno.

d'n'b is d'n'b, dubstep is dubstep.

starting to warm up to some, and considering making some music. i made a bassline in Cubase 5 using Albino.
I just hate ragga mc's and wailing divas (wtf's up with that?). f all that
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

smokeydaze
#3 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:11:35 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

good shit
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

benzyme
#4 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:26:02 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

here's how they hold it down for the lone star, five1deuce
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

soulfood
#5 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:31:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

benzyme wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

techno is a distinct genre of music...Adam Beyer, Marco Carola, Surgeon, Hawtin, Cari Lekebusch, Robert Hood, Jeff Mills, Kenny Larkin, Carl Craig, Frankie Bones, Matthew Dear, Ricardo Villalobos, Heiko Laux, Sutekh, Stewart Walker, Joey Beltram, Daniel Bell...(names for days)..

that's techno.

I always thought "techno" was just the first unecassary sub-genre division of house music. Whereas house used more live samples, pianos, vocals, sax etc, techno was the same but all made up from synth components. Either way it's all house to me. Smile

Dubstep has something about it that switches me on. It grooves very nicely and has some wicked textures but there's a bit too much of a grime feeling in it for myself. I'm sure there's folk out there making good stuff but most of what I hear sounds angry.

Same with DnB, I prefer the more interesting tuneful stuff, which last I heard was now called "liquid funk".... damn subgenres!

benzyme
#6 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:34:09 AM

analytical chemist

soulfood wrote:
benzyme wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

that's techno.

I always thought "techno" was just the first unecassary sub-genre division of house music. Whereas house used more live samples, pianos, vocals, sax etc, techno was the same but all made up from synth components. Either way it's all house to me. Smile

Dubstep has something about it that switches me on. It grooves very nicely and has some wicked textures but there's a bit too much of a grime feeling in it for myself. I'm sure there's folk out there making good stuff but most of what I hear sounds angry.

Same with DnB, I prefer the more interesting tuneful stuff, which last I heard was now called "liquid funk".... damn subgenres!

WRONG

find/read/dl/watch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulations

soulfood
#7 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:36:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:

Err.. sorry what am I looking at? It's about a documentary right?

I understand there's a whole techno scene out there where they have music labelled techno in all styles, minimal/funky/hard techno and so forth. It's just I've always used the literal sense of how the term was first coined as shortened version of the word "technology". Under that kind of understanding all electronic music could be called techno, though I do associate the term with 4 on the floor beats aka house music Smile

It all started with Jack.

benzyme
#8 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:39:29 AM

analytical chemist

yeah

dubstep isn't in there, since it basically became relevant yesterday. Laughing

soulfood
#9 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:46:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh, I get you now.

Psy trance isn't there either... them's my beats and a good 20 years old... still not relevant? Sad Well we'll try harder.

benzyme
#10 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:48:53 AM

analytical chemist

soulfood wrote:
Oh, I get you now.

Psy trance isn't there either... them's my beats and a good 20 years old... still not relevant? Sad Well we'll try harder.

trance isn't in there? Confused
should be

I meant dubstep, which initially emerged on the scene in '01.

benzyme
#11 Posted : 11/20/2009 3:54:45 AM

analytical chemist

btw... Jack's house was on the other side of the lake from Detroit Tech City. the warehouse on the pier (detroit) was throwing parties at the same time house was pumping from Chicago clubs, perhaps even earlier.

where as house pays homage to disco, techno got its 4/4 inspiration from Kraftwerk's Computer World and Trans Europe Express.

soulfood
#12 Posted : 11/20/2009 4:09:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
btw... Jack's house was on the other side of the lake from Detroit Tech City. the warehouse on the pier (detroit) was throwing parties at the same time house was pumping from Chicago clubs, perhaps even earlier.

where as house pays homage to disco, techno got its 4/4 inspiration from Kraftwerk's Computer World and Trans Europe Express.

... then new york came up with the paradiso garage. People don't talk about that one much though Smile

Fatcat
#13 Posted : 11/20/2009 4:39:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Around here (detroit/windsor) we refer to all electronic music as techno, it may be wrong, but its pretty much just commonly accpeted slang now adays. Guess I should have said electronica or something. My bad.

And I love the grime.
By allowing this message to pass through your cornea, into your retina, you accept it as is and agree to my disclaimer regarding my posts that they are a complete falsification by doing so freeing me of all liability, direct, indirect, consequential or incidental that may arise from the instillation of this post in your memory bank.

Touche Guevara
#14 Posted : 11/20/2009 4:59:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not really big into anything that sounds like it was inspired by cough syrup. I do love hip-hop though; Mos Def, Flobots, Wu-Tang, etc.

soulfood
#15 Posted : 11/20/2009 4:59:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fatcat wrote:

And I love the grime.

Yeah... dillinja wrote a tune about you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paWGJK6aufk

What's good dubstep then?

I listen to Dubstep.fm every now and then, but it's very rare that I hear something that's "the greatest music in the world" as it's starting to be known by younger folk in the uk. Sounds like DnB + Ketamine Smile

Fatcat
#16 Posted : 11/20/2009 5:18:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I like grime a lot more than most people so my definition of good dubstep is my own view.

DatsiK, is well, sick. If he's too filthy for you, check out Tes La Rok (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFoi1TfdW4Y&feature=related) , and maybe some Benga (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMR5K2QWfJk) or Skream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkHzFIWqEc). Tes La Rok is much more refined then most of the dubstep I listen to. The way I normally find good dubstep (because very few people I know have ever heard of it) is to go on last.fm or pandora.com and put DatsiK in, you should get some good leads to find more. Those are just the most popular artists from my understanding of it.

BTW, <3 Dillinja

benzyme
#17 Posted : 11/20/2009 5:55:13 PM

analytical chemist

i like the grime too, but i'm more into wonk/street bass, as it evolved from dilla-esque hip-hop and idm.
Flylo, Nosaj thing, dabrye, etc.

benzyme
#18 Posted : 11/20/2009 5:59:24 PM

analytical chemist

Touche Guevara wrote:
I'm not really big into anything that sounds like it was inspired by cough syrup.

that's "screw music", chopped'n'screwed hip-hop; pitched down with delay on the downbeat.
(some tx dubstep now sounds like that).

Infinite I
#19 Posted : 11/20/2009 6:47:11 PM

JC

Dubsteps boring! Dont like it at all YAWN! Its like slow dnb never really going anywhere, ive heard some dnb djs mix one or two tracks in a set and its ok but a whole set of that would have me snoring. Dnb and banging techno,140-150bpm is where its at!

benzyme
#20 Posted : 11/20/2009 7:07:01 PM

analytical chemist

i can tolerate about 5 mins of dubstep
but wailing divas just really piss me off,
and raggas should seriously stfu.

"'ere me now, come bleh blub whekjlf sihgfkoh ...WEYYOOH!"
*bang*

*ragga drops*

123NEXT