We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
No heat A/B? Options

bluecurry
#1 Posted : 11/19/2009 2:45:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm curious if a stronger acid could be utilized with less water for the purpose of acidifying bark?

I dislike the idea of boiling down the resultant acid/water mix as I plan to extract with xylene for the other type of alkaloid(s) and considering I'm unsure of their stability with heat I would like to perform the extraction with the least amount of heat as possible.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 11/19/2009 2:50:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I did an A/B with very good yields using a strong hcl solution left to soak for 3 days.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 11/19/2009 9:36:42 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

bluecurry wrote:
I'm curious if a stronger acid could be utilized with less water for the purpose of acidifying bark?

I dislike the idea of boiling down the resultant acid/water mix as I plan to extract with xylene for the other type of alkaloid(s) and considering I'm unsure of their stability with heat I would like to perform the extraction with the least amount of heat as possible.

Well, you may also start disliking the idea that a stronger acid and a lower pH will also affect the stability of the other alkaloids!

Each approach (lower ph vs more heat) has its own trade-offs. SWIM would just simmer an A/B of pH ~4 as usual, people do get other alkaloids this way.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

mumbles
#4 Posted : 11/25/2009 9:27:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The idea of a large acid boil is to extract as much of the available alkaloids as possible. By starting off with a smaller volume you will just be gimping your results. Sure it takes a while to reduce but once you've done it you know the heat settings and time taken for a specific volume so it becomes much more set and forget.

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 11/25/2009 5:33:46 PM

The Great Namah

I've never had yield issues doing an A/B without reducing.

I've never reduced my mimosa cooks.

Yes, you can do a cold A/B but I think you yield will suffer unless you let is soak for a bit and change the water a few times...adding more acid (or using a stronger acid) won't help all that much.

Crock pots are amazing at brewing....both for Aya and for extractions.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.