We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
CLEANING CRYSTALS WITH ACETONE? Options

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#1 Posted : 11/18/2009 3:43:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is still experiencing problems, even with freeze precipitation, using SHELLITE... Always seems to leave that slight stickiness to a small degree and worries SWIM about the potential dangers of inhaling said NP solvent...SWIM is wondering can ACETONE be used to wash the final product and if so, would it simply be a matter of immersing crystals in ACETONE and letting evaporate (to basically wash any potential residue of crystals), or can it be heated to recrystalise and then left to either evaporate? Thanks guys Smile
i am a compulsive liar with psycotic tendencies and nothing i say should be believed

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

MagikVenom
#2 Posted : 11/18/2009 4:15:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Does you spice smell like shellite? If not the shellite is evaporated and gone. Did you do a evap test on your shellite to see if it evaps clean it may vary batch to batch. Even if it is not completely clean it will produce a very pure product with freez percipt and three recrystallizations.

Not sure of your exact issue as all sorts of others use shellite sucessfully. Have you recrystallized your spice or are you talking about plain freeze percipt? Freeze percipt from a STB can be real nasty I would not smoke it without recrystallization some do but not I.

Recrystallize using shellite three times and your spice should be very very clean. Good luck

PEACE
MV

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#3 Posted : 11/18/2009 4:35:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has done both, product straight from a freeze precipitation which leaves the majority of DMT as small white fluffy crystals, as well as performing recrystalisations....The product in both cases is left with a SHELLITE tinge to it, sometimes only slightly, while at other times stronger...SWIM wonders, as his product is quite pure, (only uses root bark) whether the reduction of the synthetic/plastic like smell normally attributed to less pure DMT, is the reason that SHELLITE can be smelt? Whereas, with a less pure product such as one that has not had a defatting solution or been recrystalised ect, you have that synthetic/plastic smell which may mask the smell of shellite? Does this make sense? Also SWIM notices that the pure crystals seem to have a very strong almost MOTHBALL aftertaste as compared to the normal "run of the mill" yellowy/orange DMT that gets around...Is this normal for PURE DMT or can that be related back to the SHELLITE...
i am a compulsive liar with psycotic tendencies and nothing i say should be believed

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#4 Posted : 11/18/2009 4:40:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry, forgot to mention that yes, SWIM has done evap tests on considerable quantities of SHELLITE but finds that it can tend to leave sticky residue bubbles...???...

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 11/18/2009 9:30:10 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE wrote:
Sorry, forgot to mention that yes, SWIM has done evap tests on considerable quantities of SHELLITE but finds that it can tend to leave sticky residue bubbles...???...

good lord dude, your solvent leaves residue and now this has tainted your spice.

Re-x with a solvent that evaporates cleanly will help

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#6 Posted : 11/18/2009 10:25:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yes, recrystalize with a solvent that does not leave residue, like twice at least just to be sure

and in the end if you want, yes, you can redissolve your crystals in acetone or alcohol (non denatured) and let it evap again to help getting rid of remains of the solvent you used for recrystalization

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE
#7 Posted : 11/19/2009 2:44:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM dropped a little spice in some ACETONE last night and found it to dissolve the spice almost immediately after giving it a little swirl...(For the record, SWIM is working with DMT acetate)...He found that the ACETONE evaporated away over the period of a few hours, and was left with a slight puddle in the bottom of the jar, leaving him thinking that nothing would eventuate from this and his product would be lost, however, the puddle then began to form into crystals over a short period of time...Very different to the formation of his usual crystals, but DMT crystals either way...He has scraped this and is letting it dry out a little more just to be safe...On inspecting his normal crystals, he has found that the smell of the SHELLITE has dramatically disappeared. I guess SWIM likes to play it safe in this respect. Anyway, SWIM couldnt help himself and decided to have a little bit last night, and reports that the spice tasted great, with no hint of solvent, leading to a VERY pleasant little experience...Small and insignificant in contrast to SWIMS usually large doses and very deep, profound experiences, yet just what the doctor ordered...A very euphoric and healing encounter...Feeling really positive and connected to evertyhing today...Anyway, getting off track a little, but yeah, thanks to those who added to this thread. At the end of the day, SWIM will stick with recrystalising his spice and lose the ACETONE wash, yet he still swears that the consistency of his solvent is a problem...Sometimes, leaving a very slight residue, and other times, it's fine...Could this have anything to do with what temperature SWIM uses to heat the solvent? would overheating for example change the properties of the solvent in any way...Dumb question maybe, but not something SWIM is qualified to speak with authority on....THANKS

mumbles
#8 Posted : 11/25/2009 9:35:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CAPTAIN HYPERSPACE wrote:
Could this have anything to do with what temperature SWIM uses to heat the solvent? would overheating for example change the properties of the solvent in any way.
Thats really unlikely. If the sticky residue isn't there every time then swim would say it might not be the solvent, but contamination through equipment or other reagents.