We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ayahuasca and Amoxicilline? Options

Jay1980
#1 Posted : 1/21/2018 4:23:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

HiSmile
As you can see I'm new here, and I need some help. I was trying to ask this question in section about health&Safety but couldn't.
So, I'm taking this antibiotic - Amoicilline/Clavulaanzuur Sandox tablet 500/125. It's also called in other countries Bioclavid 500mg.
I'm taking it from 16'th january, and 22 jan I will finish it in the evening.
But - at 28'th I have planned Ayahuasca ceremony.
Is it safe to take it? I searched the web about any possible contradictions, and nothing...
I will be very grateful for your help!
Smile
Have a nice day!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ovidroid
#2 Posted : 1/24/2018 5:10:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First of all, I am no doctor, so don't take what I say as medical advice in any way, shape, or form.

I don't know what you've researched, but what you should be searching for is an interaction between your particular medicine and MAOIs. As you are probably aware, ayahuasca is a brew generally made with a dmt-containing plant and an MAOI-containing plant. The MAOI is the reason why there is such thing as an "ayahuasca diet." Now, I will not do the search for you, but you can either google interactions between MAOIs and your antibiotic or you can ask your pharmacist. You don't have to be specific about the MAOI when you ask a pharmacist (certainly refrain from telling them anything they don't need to know, if you get my drift), just ask them about the interaction. Your antibiotic also should have come with a leaflet explaining side effects, contraindications, and that sort of thing which should have some interactions in there, if any.

Lastly, there are members here on the nexus who seem to know a lot about this sort of thing who may pop by and answer this. I noticed that your post has been unanswered for a few days, so I thought I'd try to point you in the right direction to find your answer.

Happy travels!

dmusicaltrancistor
#3 Posted : 1/24/2018 2:36:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jay that is a good question from what i know amoxicillin wont have any negative interactions it is safe to take with Maoi's so it should also be safe with natural Rima's as they tend to be more forgiving also you mention you are finished with them 6 days prior to ingesting the Ayahuasca which is also a good length of time to get the amoxicillin out of your system

Amoxicillin has a half life of 61.3 mins so using that and the general theory that after 6 half lives the amount of a substance in your system is deemed "safe" 61.3 mins x 6 = 367.8 367.8/60= 6.13 so in theory that means after 6.13 hrs there should be minimal amounts of amoxicillin in your system and after your proposed 6 days i would expect there is none left

Hope this helps you and anyone else wondering

-dm
Cubensis Mushroom Colonization Temps 75-80 F Cubensis Mushroom Fruiting Temps 68-74 F
https://ocw.mit.edu/reso...ques-manual-spring-2007/
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=36239
cyb wrote:
Xtals are just goo with fancy designer clothes on...
Big grin

U gO
#4 Posted : 1/25/2018 11:14:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i think that you should have more concerns about what an antibiotic can do to your microbiotical flora in the gut than about some interactions with dmt...
unless this, good question, shows a thinking mind...
i maybe can suggest you to have some probiotic like kefir, kombucha that can restore the life inside you after an antibiotic session.

when someone talks about antibiotics i always remember some sentences about a book (gut) that says:
Antibiotics will kill the bad bacteria in your system, and good bacterias as well, and their friends and theyr parents, and their acquaintances, and their friends.
Still growing and evolving, trying too feel good with myself before attempting to feel good with others
following the way of love.
Smoke weed is not addictive, Grow it is.

Bancopuma
#5 Posted : 1/25/2018 11:48:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jay1980 wrote:
HiSmile
As you can see I'm new here, and I need some help. I was trying to ask this question in section about health&Safety but couldn't.
So, I'm taking this antibiotic - Amoicilline/Clavulaanzuur Sandox tablet 500/125. It's also called in other countries Bioclavid 500mg.
I'm taking it from 16'th january, and 22 jan I will finish it in the evening.
But - at 28'th I have planned Ayahuasca ceremony.
Is it safe to take it? I searched the web about any possible contradictions, and nothing...
I will be very grateful for your help!
Smile
Have a nice day!

So I had a really unpleasant first ayahuasca experience drinking it when I was taking to anti-malarial antibiotic doxycycline (I wasn't aware of any potential contraindication). The short version is the combination was really hard on my stomach, a few hours of nausea, diarrhoea, weakness, raw stomach for a day or two following the experience.

I think this was because I was taking it at the time though, and feel that a gap of a few days (or better yet six days as in your case), will have spared me a lot of suffering. So I think you'll be fine drinking ayahuasca then...I just wouldn’t recommend people consume ayahuasca while actively taking antibiotics. Also worth bearing in mind this is a fairly one off case, not many reports for antibiotic and ayahuasca combinations, but I have never reacted anything like this violently since this occasion when drinking ayahuuasca, and I'm fairly experienced with it. So my feeling is that taking the antibiotics at the time was responsible for making me ill (a shame as the experience itself was beautiful, I was just too ill to make the most of it).

My testimonial is below.

Quote:
While out in the Peruvian Amazon on a university field trip a few years ago, I had the great fortune of drinking ayahuasca on three different occasions. On the first time, I had taken my daily dose of the antibiotic doxycycline earlier during the day. I drank the ayahuasca around 9:00 pm, and the experience began with nausea (expected) and deep tremors in my body.

Never having taken ayahuasca before, I thought this was normal. I purged around 30/40 minutes later, and then repeatedly purged, over and over again, for six or seven hours. Even when my stomach was empty I puked up bile. The shaman tried to help but was unable to do so. The experience left me exhausted and drained, and that level of dehydration is dangerous in the Amazonian climate. The shaman and my guide had to carry me to bed. I awoke a few times in mid-vomit, was incredibly dizzy, and fell off the twelve-foot-high platform on the edge of the village while trying to puke away from the fellow voyagers. I also had the experience of voiding out of both ends at the same time.

The next day I couldn't stomach solid foods. I swore off antibiotics for good, and haven't touched them since. While antibiotics vary a lot, I would STRONGLY suggest people using antibiotics tread vary carefully with ayahuasca, and if possible refrain for two or three days before drinking. It might be best to err on the side of caution.

As doxycycline is a common anti-malarial antibiotic, it is one in particular that will likely be used by people visiting South America.

https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=77118