We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT»
What scale do you use? Options

Guards951
#21 Posted : 4/19/2009 9:51:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

recommend it.
4 3 2 1
Earth below us
drifting falling
floating weightless
calling calling home...
- Peter Schilling

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

hedcase
#22 Posted : 6/3/2009 12:29:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is investing in a mg scale this week.SWIM plans to go to the local head shop to purchase it.What exactly does SWIM need to buy?Thanks in advance.
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

HappyCamper
#23 Posted : 6/3/2009 1:01:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My theory on scales is this. If you want a good milligram scale you need to pay the $200-$300. There are alot of things you can cut corners on but not a mg scale. Now I don't know how much you expect to pay but, I usually tend to avoid things from head shops. If you want a decent one for <$100, you can get a myweigh durascale 50 from oldwillknotts. It's .01 and about the only one I can recommend.

Fakkz
#24 Posted : 6/3/2009 1:43:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have this scale, bought from this website. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10515

Cheap, plenty accurate enough, and easy to use.

Tribal
#25 Posted : 6/3/2009 2:21:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

A FOAF has the same scale. It's cheap and much more accurate and reliable than he originally thought it might be. It has .001g accuracy, which is important for accurate measurements of small quantities. I doubt you're going to find anything at a head shop that will reliably read in the .001 range.

69ron
#26 Posted : 6/3/2009 2:42:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you sure it's the same scale? That scale looks like a cheap imitation of an American Weigh scale, only there seems to be no brand name on it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Tribal
#27 Posted : 6/3/2009 3:52:15 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I guess I didn't look closely enough at it. My FOAF's is the American Weights one. But that one looks identical. I wonder if they are the same manufacture packaged under different brands. I would go with the American Weights one if there is any doubt.

HappyCamper
#28 Posted : 6/3/2009 4:13:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That scale would be too good to be true

Fakkz
#29 Posted : 6/3/2009 4:17:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cheap? For sure. <$25US, and free shipping. I can't find a brand name on mine, but I have lost the instuction book. It does come with a calibration weight(10 grams) so you can see it's accuarcy and variability. I've had one for 6 months, no problems so far. The most it has been out is showing 9.990g after 3 months without a calibration and a lot of use. 5 seconds of work, and back to 9.999g. Good enough for just about everything. Still, hard to go wrong at the price.

69ron
#30 Posted : 6/3/2009 4:22:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You get what you pay for. The American Weigh has a good warranty. Most of those other cheaper imitations out there have almost no warranty if any at all. But at such a low price does it really matter?

Still, I prefer the two weight calibration units because they are usually more accurate throughout the full range.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Fakkz
#31 Posted : 6/3/2009 4:24:36 AM
DMT-Nexus member

HappyCamper wrote:
That scale would be too good to be true

No, just the flip-side of rediculously cheap labour, and the joys of mass production. I believe the website is based in Hong Kong.

HappyCamper
#32 Posted : 6/3/2009 4:31:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
No, just the flip-side of rediculously cheap labour, and the joys of mass production. I believe the website is based in Hong Kong.

Lets just say that I wouldn't trust my life to something that was prob. made by a twelve-year-old working a twenty hour work day.Wink

69ron
#33 Posted : 6/3/2009 7:22:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't buy based solely on price. I prefer to buy products made locally, or sold locally, that way I know by making that purchase I'm helping out my local economy. The last thing I want is my local economy going down the drain because I'm purchasing everything made overseas. You've got to think a little about that you know. If everyone in your country bought things only made in other countries, your country would go bankrupt!

HappyCamper
#34 Posted : 6/3/2009 7:29:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Perfect example: America and China

trancepants
#35 Posted : 6/5/2009 10:08:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mexicooooooo
I can create anything with my mind. Including fiction, which this is.

Mycokris
#36 Posted : 9/21/2009 12:00:09 AM

The Amazing Me

http://search.balances.com/scales

six down is for $25, going to get one soon
Recently released from a Psychiatric Hospital, Don't believe anything IT says.

w0mbat
#37 Posted : 10/26/2009 2:20:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.amazon.com/0-...id=1256523490&sr=8-2

Decided to take the plunge anyways. My expectations are not high. From the picture it looks just like the American Weigh DIA-10, a supposedly pretty good scale. I suppose this is just a Chinese knockoff or something.

Has anyone else had good results using cheapo milligram scales?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Ginkgo
#38 Posted : 10/26/2009 2:25:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have not tried this scale myself, but a costumer review on Amazon reads this:
Quote:
I wasn't expecting anything incredible from this scale, given that it costs such a small amount of money compared to any comparable scale that I could find online after a quick search; nevertheless, it was a fairly disappointing purchase.

It is clear that this scale is not very precise. I tested its precision by keeping it in the same position and weighing the same object a number of times, without turning the scale off. Then I tried weighing an object, taking it off the scale, turning the scale off, then turning it back on and weighing the same object again. If you take an object off the scale and then put it back on in about the same place, without turning the scale off, you will usually get approximately the same reading. If you turn the scale off between measurements, however, you will most likely get a significantly different reading each time. For my purposes it was important to get a reading that was accurate to the milligram, which is the smallest increment measurable with this scale. In one instance, I weighed the same object twice and the difference in weight between each reading was 12 milligrams - quite a significant difference. Additionally, If you put an object on the scale and move its position even slightly, you will get a different reading. (I calibrated the scale properly, according to the instructions, before I tried measuring anything; so proper calibration was not the problem).

If it is not very important to you that your measurements be precise to the milligram, but it is very important to you that you not spend very much money, then this scale may work for your purposes, given that it is so relatively cheap.

benzyme
#39 Posted : 10/26/2009 2:34:13 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

swim has both. both work reasonably well, for the price. accurate to +/- 2mg for the DIA-10
whichever you choose, calibrate often
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

soulfood
#40 Posted : 10/26/2009 2:37:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Yeah I got those. They're not very good for measuring amounts under 20mg, but they do work. At this price, Im not complaining

PREV1234NEXT»