We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sticky Product After Freeze-Precip Options

melotikaci
#1 Posted : 12/26/2017 11:25:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have ongoing mhrb extraction with max ion tek. Have a problem with freeze-precip:
After drying up the dish, surface becomes very sticky making the whole product sticky too after scraping.

After scraping, color of the final product ends up being yellowish even though crystals are formed quite white(I don't warm naphtha up to get cleaner crystals). Obviously its the residue that makes it darker.

I use naphtha I always used for extractions, did evap test again and it doesn't leave anything behind, no stains, no smell, nothing sticky.

My guess is that it's freezer to blame. it doesn't have dry freezing feature, so there's high humidity inside(?). I think water gets in contact with naphtha and messes up crystallization process.

I wonder whats the residue: non-crystallized dmt or some weird naphtha stains after mixing with water?

So basically the question is if my dmt is ok to vape or not. and if not, what to do to make it so.

Any ideas?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 12/26/2017 4:06:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

How long did you dry it?
Maybe just dissolve into some etoh to free any stuck naptha/water.

blue.magic
#3 Posted : 12/26/2017 4:56:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

melotikaci wrote:
I don't warm naphtha up to get cleaner crystals

It's the opposite way. Warm solvent will pull more more impurities. Room temp naphtha usually pulls white fluffy crystals (for me). Up to 40 degrees C I still get good product with some yellowish/brownish spots and beyond 40 degreess I get lots of mess.

melotikaci wrote:
My guess is that it's freezer to blame. it doesn't have dry freezing feature, so there's high humidity inside(?)

Better use closed container. Some pyrex dishes have a sealable lid. If you dry the container before pouring solvent in, you can be use it will stay dry.

melotikaci wrote:
I wonder whats the residue: non-crystallized dmt or some weird naphtha stains after mixing with water?

- plant oils
- plant alkaloids that passed extraction along with DMT
- oily DMT
- DMT n-oxide

melotikaci wrote:
So basically the question is if my dmt is ok to vape or not. and if not, what to do to make it so.

It is ok to vape as long as it has not been in contact with the basic water (MHRB soup). Vaping lye or other strong base is very harsh and irritating.

You have several options (from simplest to most elaborate):

- solvent wash (mini STB)
- mini A/B
- recrystallize from small amount of fresh solvent
- FASA purification (make DMT fumarate, wash with acetone, freebase)
- chromatography (not practical, but just to make the list complete)

melotikaci
#4 Posted : 12/26/2017 6:56:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
How long did you dry it?
Maybe just dissolve into some etoh to free any stuck naptha/water.

I left the dish outside in a cold wind for a few hours.
I thought about cleaning with ethanol too. Will try if nothing else comes up.

melotikaci
#5 Posted : 12/26/2017 7:26:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

blue.magic wrote:

It's the opposite way. Warm solvent will pull more more impurities. Room temp naphtha usually pulls white fluffy crystals (for me). Up to 40 degrees C I still get good product with some yellowish/brownish spots and beyond 40 degreess I get lots of mess.

Thats exactly what I said Very happy I used room temp naphtha to get fluffy crystalls and it worked as planned.

blue.magic wrote:

Better use closed container. Some pyrex dishes have a sealable lid. If you dry the container before pouring solvent in, you can be use it will stay dry.

It was covered with kind of a plastic bag but sealable lid would be better choice. I'll try that next time.

blue.magic wrote:

- plant oils
- plant alkaloids that passed extraction along with DMT
- oily DMT
- DMT n-oxide

Thats not a problem as long as its not naphtha leftover.

blue.magic wrote:

It is ok to vape as long as it has not been in contact with the basic water (MHRB soup). Vaping lye or other strong base is very harsh and irritating.

I'm sure that's not the case. Just woried about naphtha as I said above.

blue.magic wrote:

You have several options (from simplest to most elaborate):

- solvent wash (mini STB)
- mini A/B
- recrystallize from small amount of fresh solvent
- FASA purification (make DMT fumarate, wash with acetone, freebase)
- chromatography (not practical, but just to make the list complete)

Thanks for the tips, Will continue the extraction with closed lid container and try cleaning up the product after I finish the process