We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Do you take additional supplements besides eating?
Choice Votes Statistics
Vitamins from local supermarket 4 13 %
Vitamins from biological sources (expensive) 13 43 %
I eat healthy enough! 12 40 %
I don't care about my health. 1 3 %
It never came to my mind taking vitamins. 0 0 %

12NEXT
Supplements for health - Who does it? Options

kyrolima
#1 Posted : 11/15/2009 4:54:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering how many people take supplements.
I found a supplier for natural vitamins.
They extract them from natural sources.

Besides that i take Ginkgo for my brain function.
Additionally spirulina (green alga) and green wheat powder.

How's about you?

Of course i'm not relying on the magic power of supplements...
I eat healthy organic food whenever i can.
Water: I drink from an artesian spring. Or osmosis water.

My medicine is MJ and MMS (miracle mineral supplement).
elusive illusion

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Touche Guevara
#2 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:10:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Supplements can be tricky, since a lot of the industry is pretty much totally unregulated. I take creatine (good article here http://www.tmuscle.com/f.../catching_up_on_creatine) and sometimes 5-htp. I'd love to see some good studies on herbal stuff, but it's quite a task to sift through all the junk (basically advertising) put out by people trying to sell acai or whatever the latest fad is.

jamie
#3 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:14:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I take vitamines..and things like hemp seed powder and flax seeds..and bentonite clay in the morning. I also take calcium and magnesium supplements.

High doses of vitamine C..like 6 grams a day..

Lots of herbs as well..and I eat healthy. I got tested last year andhoad lots of allergies and got on a rotarty diet with a naturalpath..I never wnat to go back to the way I felt before..and I NEVEr drink tap water..I collect all of it from a spring in the forest becasue I tested allergic to chlorine.

Oh and I eat digestive enzymes and sometimes acidophillus.
Long live the unwoke.

ohayoco
#4 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:19:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's my view that a healthy balanced diet gives all the necessaries and probably much more than a mediocre diet with supplements of whatever fashionable tablets are currently considered necessary by some (which may not be all of the ones our bodies really need anyway).

Think about it. Our bodies are "designed" to get these things out of our food, like our ancestors did. Who's to say the body likes getting it concentrated and in the chemical forms that they come as in tablets? Who's to say people aren't overdosing when they eat these tablets? Who's to say that having too much of one thing in one go inhibits normal absorption of another necessary thing? Etc. What happens after a lifetime of supplements? Not worth the risk in my opinion, I'd only take supplements when a doctor told me I needed to for a medical condition that was making my life miserable.

Ecologically, why go to all that effort refining chemicals into little pills when they're in our food already? And what a waste of money to be buying a load of supplements all the time!

I have heard of how giving prison inmates vitamins makes them behave better. However, feeding them a proper diet would I'm sure do many more wonders.

A healthy diet should take into consideration a proper mix of food, like our ancestors evolved to accept. Not just meat and two veg (some may argue the necessity of meat but I have found it necessary for myself). Nuts, berries, polyunsaturated fats, beans, wholegrains, omega 6 from oily fish (or flaxseed etc if you're veggie), little to no refined sugar, some but little salt (<6g a day), unprocessed food cooked from fresh. Watch out for processed food, it's full of sugar, salt and other crap, especially if you're in the USA. The Okinawan Japanese people are the longest lived in the world ahead of the Mediterraneans, and they eat 15 different types of fruit and veg a day, not just 5. Wishing you all a long healthy life Smile
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Touche Guevara
#5 Posted : 11/15/2009 5:33:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Saying that "our bodies were designed to get all necessary nutrition from food" is a bit problematic. The only function our bodies have been refined by evolution to perform is to produce offspring, which historically happened within the first 20 years of life. Whether a human lives to 100 has no bearing on its evolutionary fitness, so if we want to ensure long, healthy life it might behoove us to help mother nature out.

That said, the science is still not settled on multivitamins, and definitely not on "ACAI SUPERFOOD 1,000X EXTRACT!"

benzyme
#6 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:05:15 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

can't get aniracetam from fish or anything natural, and the japanese favor aniracetam.
omega-3's and phosphatidyl-aminos are nice for membrane regeneration, but do little to improve
overall signal transduction; for that, I favor ampakines. try finding those in fruits.

so yeah, I get supplements from online/local supermarket.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

#7 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:39:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Currently I take piracetam and aniracetam, looking to swap out aniracetam for pramiracetam soon. On top of that I'll soon be adding ALCAR. I'm still in search for the best oxygen regulator/vasodilator. Ginkgo doesn't seem to help much here and I'd like to try hydergine/nicergoline for the proposed purpose soon. If anyone can help me out with that please contact me.

benzyme
#8 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:43:17 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

vincamine (also see vinpocetine) may work better than hydergine, definitely more than gingko.

I have both gingko and vinpocetine, but I rarely take either. I may start taking the latter again, to shake this annoying tinnitus.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

#9 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:47:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I looked into vinpocetine, but according to these two studies it has a negative impact on NMDA and AMPA...

Quote:
Effects of several cerebroprotective drugs on NMDA channel function: evaluation using Xenopus oocytes and [3H]MK-801 binding.
Kaneko S, Sugimura M, Inoue T, Satoh M.

Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Japan.

The effects of several cerebroprotective and nootropic drugs on the function of excitatory amino acid (EAA) receptor subtypes expressed in Xenopus oocytes after injection of rodent brain poly(A)+ mRNA were investigated. The oocyte response to N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) in the presence of glycine (Gly) was inhibited dose-dependently by bifemelane, indeloxazine, vinpocetine and vincamine while no effect was observed by idebenone, Ca hopantenate, aniracetam or piracetam. Bifemelane, indeloxazine and vinpocetine suppressed the maximum response of NMDA and Gly without affecting their EC50 values. Unlike Mg2+, they did not affect the current-voltage relationship of the NMDA response below 0 mV. On the non-NMDA-type responses of the injected oocytes to kainate (KA), alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionate (AMPA) and quisqualate (QA), no significant effects were observed by these drugs at 100 microM. On the binding of [3H](+)-5-methyl-10,11-dihydro-5H-dibenzo[a,d]cyclohepten-5,10-imi ne (MK-801) to brain membranes, the estimated IC50 values were 88 microM for bifemelane, 102 microM for indeloxazine, and 115 microM for vinpocetine. The dissociation rate of [3H]MK-801 was significantly slowed by Zn2+ and vinpocetine, but not affected by bifemelane or indeloxazine. The Kd value for [3H]MK-801 binding was increased by bifemelane and indeloxazine while Bmax was unchanged. These results suggest that the inhibition of NMDA channels by vinpocetine shows a similarity to the action of Zn2+ which closes the gate of the NMDA channel. In contrast, bifemelane and indeloxazine may affect the phencyclidine (PCP)-site in the open channels and inhibit NMDA function.

PMID: 1652446 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

and

Quote:
Vinpocetine preferentially antagonizes quisqualate/AMPA receptor responses: evidence from release and ligand binding studies.
Kiss B, Cai NS, Erdö SL.

Pharmacological Research Centre, Gedeon Richter Ltd., Budapest, Hungary.

The effect of vinpocetine on excitatory amino acid receptors was examined in the rat brain by two different biochemical approaches. In release experiments with striatal slices, vinpocetine reduced the efflux of dopamine and acetylcholine evoked by glutamate, quisqualate and N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA), but not that evoked by kainate. In binding experiments with cortical membranes, vinpocetine reduced the binding of [3H]2-amino-3-3-hydroxy-s-methylisoxasole-4-yl-propionic acid ([3H]AMPA), a quisqualate partial agonist, in an incomplete manner, but failed to influence the binding of [3H]kainate and [3H]3-(2-carboxypyperazine-4-yl)-propyl-1-phosphonic acid ([3H]CPP), an NMDA agonist. These findings suggest that vinpocetine is a quisqualate/AMPA antagonist of some specificity and selectivity.

PMID: 1687679 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

benzyme
#10 Posted : 11/15/2009 6:54:17 PM

analytical chemist

in rats?
those studies aren't really saying much.. "These findings suggest that vinpocetine is a quisqualate/AMPA antagonist of some specificity and selectivity."
you realize rats don't have much of a prefrontal cortex, right?

Laughing

#11 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:01:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

haha point taken.

benzyme
#12 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:09:45 PM

analytical chemist

i take aniracetam too, and come to think of it, I never took it with vinpocetine (have taken vinpo with piracetam, no noticable side effects, aside from a mild headache)...

i smell an experiment (taking both now).

Ginkgo
#13 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:18:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use double dose of an organic vitamin and mineral pill, combined with a vegetarian diet and regular exercise. I am nearly always full of energy, never really sick and generally feel great! I sometimes use Maca, which is really great if used regularly. Ginkgo biloba is also a very interesting plant, but I feel kinda "high" (in the lack of a better word) when taking it.

endlessness
#14 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:24:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ohayoco wrote:
It's my view that a healthy balanced diet gives all the necessaries and probably much more than a mediocre diet with supplements of whatever fashionable tablets are currently considered necessary by some (which may not be all of the ones our bodies really need anyway).

Think about it. Our bodies are "designed" to get these things out of our food, like our ancestors did. Who's to say the body likes getting it concentrated and in the chemical forms that they come as in tablets? Who's to say people aren't overdosing when they eat these tablets? Who's to say that having too much of one thing in one go inhibits normal absorption of another necessary thing? Etc. What happens after a lifetime of supplements? Not worth the risk in my opinion, I'd only take supplements when a doctor told me I needed to for a medical condition that was making my life miserable.

Ecologically, why go to all that effort refining chemicals into little pills when they're in our food already? And what a waste of money to be buying a load of supplements all the time!

I have heard of how giving prison inmates vitamins makes them behave better. However, feeding them a proper diet would I'm sure do many more wonders.

A healthy diet should take into consideration a proper mix of food, like our ancestors evolved to accept. Not just meat and two veg (some may argue the necessity of meat but I have found it necessary for myself). Nuts, berries, polyunsaturated fats, beans, wholegrains, omega 6 from oily fish (or flaxseed etc if you're veggie), little to no refined sugar, some but little salt (<6g a day), unprocessed food cooked from fresh. Watch out for processed food, it's full of sugar, salt and other crap, especially if you're in the USA. The Okinawan Japanese people are the longest lived in the world ahead of the Mediterraneans, and they eat 15 different types of fruit and veg a day, not just 5. Wishing you all a long healthy life Smile

+1 Smile

benzyme
#15 Posted : 11/15/2009 7:35:14 PM

analytical chemist

benzyme wrote:
i take aniracetam too, and come to think of it, I never took it with vinpocetine (have taken vinpo with piracetam, no noticable side effects, aside from a mild headache)...

i smell an experiment (taking both now).

ok...
20 mins later, there's a definite noticeable effect from this combo.
i feel more energetic, and my mental fog (from dank) cleared right up.

aniracetam by itself is energetic, so is vinpocetine to a lesser extent (it's a PDE-1 inhibitor like caffeine), but i feel both the energy, and the cognitive enhancement from aniracetam; though lacking the racing thoughts. Cool

feels good

Acolyte
#16 Posted : 11/15/2009 10:52:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I take resveratrol.

It "simulates" caloric restriction which has been studied to extend the life of organisms by 20-35%!

Here's a 60 Minutes news piece on it.

A
?

kyrolima
#17 Posted : 11/16/2009 9:46:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm interested in natural brain boosters! I'm looking forward to further discussion of this subject.
elusive illusion

Pokey
#18 Posted : 11/19/2009 12:26:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For me a healthy diet (lots of fresh fruits and veggies, some meat but not a ton, grains, beans, and nuts) and daily vigorous exercise do the trick. I get sick like once every 5 or 6 years even though my kids assure regular exposure to a wide variety of viruses, and have lots of energy with 5-6 hours of sleep a night.Smile
I guess if I wasn't energetic and healthy without supplements I'd be singing a different tune though...

Spiced
#19 Posted : 11/19/2009 4:24:57 PM

Terra Incognita

Yea, i do eat healty enough, i eat minimum 300 grams of vegetables a day, always brown bread, in workingdays i drink half a litres of soup 5 days a week, i drink 2 litres of water every day, so i try to take care of my health as much as i can.
I eat lot's of fruit too.

Nevertheless, i had a period when i took Spirulina as a supplement, it was supposed to give more energy, but it didn't help so i quit after 7 months with that "cure", now i started to drink coffee when i need extra energy, not that healty, but i don't drink much of it, and not every day either.

But i still get sick, i thought i was supposed to be more resistant, but i have a serious cold now, but hey, it could've been worse. Very happy

I'm not that energetic either, i need lot's of sleep, and still feel pretty tired in the morning, and usually i get a little energy dip at 3 in the afternoon, i dunno what i'm doing wrong, maybe i can blame the weed, yea, i'm blaming the weed here.

jamie
#20 Posted : 11/19/2009 4:45:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I used to smoke tons of weed and it made me feel tired and unmotivated all the time.
Long live the unwoke.

12NEXT