We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Gramine Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 11/13/2009 11:05:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Recently there has been a considerable amount of reports of people trying to extract dmt from Arundo, Phragmites and Phalaris species. However, there are several reports about several of these plants containing toxic alkaloid gramine.

So I thought it would be useful to get some of the sharp minds here thinking about how we can get rid of potential gramine for those extracting from these plants....

In this post 69ron mentiones that gramine is slightly more polar than dmt, so through something like a heptane recrystalization one could possibly get rid of gramine. Can anybody confirm this?

What about the pKa, and separating through the pH? Any information on that?

Can anything be deducted about the stability of gramine to different conditions by its molecular structure?

I've also heard about gramine decomposing when smoking, but no idea if thats true and neither if the decomposition product/s is really safe.. Or maybe very high pH in the base part of an extraction could destroy gramine and other possible toxic alkaloids?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 11/14/2009 3:18:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15095157
some 5HT2A antagonists also antagonize dopamine, which could result in tardive dyskinesia...parkinsonian-like symptoms.
perhaps people just don't typically eat gramine

nonetheless, gramine isn't something you want in your extraction.
it can be separated from DMT with a column, silica, and EtOAc:MeOH.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

kemist
#3 Posted : 11/14/2009 8:29:57 AM

John

We were discussing it the other night, on the chat.

Somebody wrote that gramine has significantly higher boiling point then DMT.

Vapouriser seted up on 80 C shouldn`t vapourise any gramine, only DMT.

Can anybody confirm it?
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

endlessness
#4 Posted : 11/14/2009 11:04:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15095157
some 5HT2A antagonists also antagonize dopamine, which could result in tardive dyskinesia...parkinsonian-like symptoms.
perhaps people just don't typically eat gramine

nonetheless, gramine isn't something you want in your extraction.
it can be separated from DMT with a column, silica, and EtOAc:MeOH.

yeah and anyways I wouldnt want to be a test rabbit for a potentially toxic alkaloid and neither that some uninformed people here do it Very happy

as for the column, well, wonderful for those who have it but this is not the case for the average psychonaut amateur chemist... Is there any other way you can see? You and some others usually have access or know where to look in chemistry databases, can you find its pka or confirm the xlogP3 (whats the difference between the P3 and the normal one?) 69ron posted in the link I gave?

Or can you, by looking at the molecular structure, deduce ways of breaking it into something relatively harmless?

kemist wrote:
We were discussing it the other night, on the chat.

Somebody wrote that gramine has significantly higher boiling point then DMT.

Vapouriser seted up on 80 C shouldn`t vapourise any gramine, only DMT.

Can anybody confirm it?

Wikipedia does mention melting point being just under 140 celcius... but then only people with very controlled vaporizers could do this... Also I still wonder if its totally wrong the information I once read, god-knows-where, that heat from smoking would actually destroy gramine..

Would be nice if we found some information that could make it simple for everybody to get rid of this Smile

benzyme
#5 Posted : 11/14/2009 1:58:22 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

aha

yes, sublimation could easily separate the two.
so the question is, at what temp does gramine vaporize?

very odd how both tryptamine and gramine have higher m.p./b.p. than dmt Confused
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

burnt
#6 Posted : 11/14/2009 2:26:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
very odd how both tryptamine and gramine have higher m.p./b.p. than dmt Confused

mp and bp is not always correlated with mass. compounds that can form hydrogen bonds with each other have higher melting points etc.

when you derivitize compounds for GC analysis often people use silyating reagents (trimethyl silyating are most common) which make the molecule heavier. but by replacing OH groups with OSi(CH3)3 you reduce hydrogen bonding and thus decrease boiling point.

Jorkest
#7 Posted : 11/14/2009 3:51:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

sublimation sounds like a great way to separate it...it would be nice though if the heat from smoking would destroy it
it's a sound

benzyme
#8 Posted : 11/14/2009 7:24:51 PM

analytical chemist

Jorkest wrote:
sublimation sounds like a great way to separate it

hmm, maybe sublimation is a great way to separate it. Confused

endlessness
#9 Posted : 11/14/2009 7:36:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

and what is the minimum necessary equipment for this? Again I just want to bring this more to the level of the average amateur psychonaut chemist, if possible.. If its not possible, then so be it, but I think it would be interesting if we did find out more simple ways of making these experiments safer Smile

benzyme
#10 Posted : 11/14/2009 7:47:58 PM

analytical chemist

ohh it's advanced. that's the point of this forum Cool

here's a simple lab-rigged setup

the vacuum source can be an aspirator you could attach to a faucet. would help to have a manometer in the line, so you can gauge the pressure. swim uses an IR therm with laser to get
the low part of the glass (microscale sublimator)

here are proper lab-grade subs.
the atmos. press. sub (the bottom one) needs no vacuum, but you need to regulate the heat.

T
#11 Posted : 11/15/2009 4:00:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Might be a silly idea, but you can buy gramine and test the solubility, then you'll definitely know how you can separate from DMT.
"Once I thought I'd been offered a joint but had been given angel dust. I smoked it, but had horrific hallucinations - oh my God, I was out of control.
I saw eight of everything and believed that I could fly.
That was when I stopped taking drugs. I started doing them to be a rebel, then realised that doing drugs just meant I was being an idiot.
Now I hate drugs. I constantly tell kids to stay away from them - they are the root of all evil." - David Gest

MagikVenom
#12 Posted : 11/15/2009 8:03:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

T wrote:
Might be a silly idea, but you can buy gramine and test the solubility, then you'll definitely know how you can separate from DMT.

Not sure about buying it. I once ran across a Gramine extraction tek that used Maple tree leaves as a source of gramine.

Gramine is usually found in leaves. Now I do not know for sure but the roots of reeds should be pretty gramine free. I seem to remember this from some source I read but could be wrong.

Even if no effects on humans have been noted personnely I would not want to smoke this stuff.

PEACE
MV

endlessness
#13 Posted : 11/15/2009 8:05:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

T wrote:

well yeah T might not be a silly idea, if anybody has equipment/time/money for making this favour, it would be wonderful .. I personally dont, unfortunately, not for the moment at least...

T
#14 Posted : 11/15/2009 8:34:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
T wrote:

well yeah T might not be a silly idea, if anybody has equipment/time/money for making this favour, it would be wonderful .. I personally dont, unfortunately, not for the moment at least...

That's understandable, as long as SWIM has gramine free source available he wouldn't do it either. So hopefuly never.
If for legal reasons phalaris would be the only source for him, that's how he would try to find out, as he doesn't have the skills/equipment to test the end results otherwise.
"Once I thought I'd been offered a joint but had been given angel dust. I smoked it, but had horrific hallucinations - oh my God, I was out of control.
I saw eight of everything and believed that I could fly.
That was when I stopped taking drugs. I started doing them to be a rebel, then realised that doing drugs just meant I was being an idiot.
Now I hate drugs. I constantly tell kids to stay away from them - they are the root of all evil." - David Gest

benzyme
#15 Posted : 11/15/2009 10:16:07 PM

analytical chemist

if gramine is more polar than dmt, it might even be cleaned out with a sodium carb wash. Cool

sauroman1
#16 Posted : 1/5/2016 10:14:55 AM

Anybody from Lisbon?

But there is no evidence that gramine is toxic to humans. Gramine was found to toxic to sheep and rodents. But sheep are also staggered by other alkaloids such as DMT. So maybe humans body can defend against gramine too?

entheogenic-gnosis
#17 Posted : 1/5/2016 3:07:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Gramine is DMT, only with a 1 carbon bridge connecting the amine nitrogen to the benzene ring ( ch2-Nh2 ) rather than a two carbon bridge ( ch2-ch2-Nh2 ), right?

Strange how removal of a single ch2 group in a side chain would change a compound from a benign psychedelic into something toxic...
( h20 is water and h202 is hydrogen peroxide, so I understand how very small changes to a molecule can drastically alter its properties, it just seemed strange to me in this situation...

GRAMINE SOLUBILITY IN WATER: Insoluble

SOLUBLE IN: alcohol, ether, toluene and chloroform, slightly soluble in acetone
http://chemicalland21.co...fescience/UH/GRAMINE.htm

Seems like DMT has a lower boiling point than gramine...so why not fractional distillation?

( sorry if this was suggested, I skimmed through most the posts but may have missed it)

-eg

Leithen
#18 Posted : 1/6/2016 4:33:04 PM

Be Here Now

Is there any easy way of testing our product for gramine to see if it may be toxic? Does it change any colorimetric reagents?

“How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it.”
― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

steppa
#19 Posted : 1/6/2016 8:19:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

Gramine is DMT, only with a 1 carbon bridge connecting the amine nitrogen to the benzene ring ( ch2-Nh2 ) rather than a two carbon bridge ( ch2-ch2-Nh2 ), right?

We should figure out how to add another carbon thingy to said bridge then.
Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

downwardsfromzero
#20 Posted : 1/9/2016 8:34:39 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

steppa wrote:
We should figure out how to add another carbon thingy to said bridge then.

It's called methylene insertion. This would be the reverse of part of the biosynthesis of gramine from tryptophan where a methylene bridge is removed - curiously, labelling studies show that the same nitrogen atom is retained in the molecule during this process even though it is attached to the carbon atom that gets removed.

What would be really great is if it could be possible to reverse the enzymatic process of methylene removal, although that occurs on the non-methylated substrate - primary amine/amino acid.

The tertiary amine would in principle make homologation of gramine to DMT 'relatively simple' but it would not be a trivial matter for the kitchen chemist as is generally the case with things involving addition of hydrogen. Also it would appear to fall into the category of synthesis so I won't go into any more detail here. Big grin

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

123NEXT