We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Yellow spots on cactus??? Options

sauSage
#1 Posted : 10/11/2017 9:38:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone,

I noticed the other day that my cacti all have some yellow spots starting to take them over. Curious if anyone knows what this might be.

They seem to have appeared on my Pedro, Torch and Bridge at roughly all the same time.

They *are* massively overdue for a repotting, but I dont' think that would cause this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
sauSage attached the following image(s):
IMG_5453.jpg (3,691kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

urtica
#2 Posted : 10/11/2017 11:54:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

They look nitrogen hungry to me...
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

Auxin
#3 Posted : 10/12/2017 2:05:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yup, nitrogen or magnesium.
Dont think of Trichocereus species as cacti except in winter. In spring and summer think of them as tomato plants and treat them accordingly [unless your someplace very cold].
If your going into fall now I'd hit them with 1/6th strength 'grow' fertilizer one time and then start them on their winter dormancy cycle until spring when you can fertilize them properly.
If your going into spring give them half to full strength 'grow' fertilizer and if you havent eaten much salt alternate that with peeing in a gallon jug and filling it with water. My cacti just love piss, lol.
If nitrogen ferts dont fix them toss a pinch of epsom salts in with your piss.

Gone-and-Back
#4 Posted : 10/12/2017 5:00:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

When this happened with mine it was from lack of water. I started leaving them out during a couple storms and they fattened up, and turned a healthy looking color again. I'm sure the rain had nutrients they needed.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

#5 Posted : 10/12/2017 6:16:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Auxin wrote:
Yup, nitrogen or magnesium.
Dont think of Trichocereus species as cacti except in winter. In spring and summer think of them as tomato plants and treat them accordingly [unless your someplace very cold].
If your going into fall now I'd hit them with 1/6th strength 'grow' fertilizer one time and then start them on their winter dormancy cycle until spring when you can fertilize them properly.
If your going into spring give them half to full strength 'grow' fertilizer and if you havent eaten much salt alternate that with peeing in a gallon jug and filling it with water. My cacti just love piss, lol.
If nitrogen ferts dont fix them toss a pinch of epsom salts in with your piss.

Super sound advice here, though I'll pass on the piss part Razz

sauSage
#6 Posted : 10/12/2017 6:34:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Auxin wrote:

I live in a place that doesn't get 4 actual seasons. it's pretty much between 55-70F allllll the time. So I don't really winterize my cacti.

I'll start out with repotting them in fresh soil and go from there.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle