We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Tons of Amanitas Options

Ulim
#1 Posted : 10/9/2017 7:42:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Was pretty nice day to collect em
Ulim attached the following image(s):
RKmSDAt.jpg (98kb) downloaded 286 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

sauSage
#2 Posted : 10/10/2017 12:20:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very nice.

I was in Lithuania last week and went walking through a forest and found a ton of them.

Out there kids are told that they're poisonous and will kill you if you eat them. So nobody picks them.
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Ulim
#3 Posted : 10/10/2017 3:09:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

paulsage wrote:
Very nice.

I was in Lithuania last week and went walking through a forest and found a ton of them.

Out there kids are told that they're poisonous and will kill you if you eat them. So nobody picks them.

Well they do but there are secret tricks to go from deadly>>>dank Cool

Jees
#4 Posted : 10/10/2017 5:15:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So far I leave them and take their ID snap Big grin

Secrets? Oh, interesting Rolling eyes
Jees attached the following image(s):
fly2.jpg (319kb) downloaded 235 time(s).

Ulim
#5 Posted : 10/10/2017 10:27:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

#6 Posted : 10/10/2017 11:48:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

couple years back. muscaria var guessowiis

○ attached the following image(s):
photo1.jpg (93kb) downloaded 210 time(s).
photo2.jpg (118kb) downloaded 210 time(s).
photo3.jpg (105kb) downloaded 211 time(s).

Ulim
#7 Posted : 10/10/2017 11:49:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sexy.
I think amanitas are the most fun shrooms to hunt due to their high visibility and awesome look.
2USyzKh.jpg (401kb) downloaded 205 time(s).
Jr54t1j.jpg (102kb) downloaded 205 time(s).

Ulim
#8 Posted : 10/10/2017 11:51:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Especially when you find a big patch Drool
PwLfGIx.jpg (3,575kb) downloaded 206 time(s).

#9 Posted : 10/10/2017 11:59:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

nicee, i only found the red muscarias one time, not too common around here, just the muscaria var guessowiis

PurgeMasterV2
#10 Posted : 10/11/2017 2:32:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I will have to start looking! We got our first dump of rain in 3 months last week so they should be popping! One of my favorite times of year, sneaking around golf courses and parks picking baskets of Amanita! Cool

I will post some photos in this thread, I like seeing all your fresh catches!

Any one here thinking of making the ambrosia? Amanita wine? We should start a thread and research together the best way to go about making it. Ambrosia SHE?

#11 Posted : 10/11/2017 12:36:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Ulim wrote:
Sexy.
I think amanitas are the most fun shrooms to hunt due to their high visibility and awesome look.

Yeah lol, they're pretty unmistakeable once you've seen them several times. Funny to me how people could get them confused, I remember some friends of mine had mentioned to me years back that 'I better know what I'm picking' because there's d e a d l y look-alikes. :O I know they had mentioned deathcaps, which is kind of funny - because death caps honestly look nothing like the classic red/white or yellow/white amanitas, still don't understand how there'd be confusion there Confused

If you know your region, habitats, and notice what grows there continually season after season, what grows near what, etc, it's not hard to learn to distinguish certain species of mushroom and learn as to what grows where.

**Though I'll caution by saying that with amanitas - there can be a pretty wide variability in alkaloid content - geography, seasonality, genetically - so I start small if deciding to eat any. 1/4 cap was very noticeable for me - perceptually - color enhancement, contrasts, mental space widened, stimulated thought-space, heavier perspiration, definite effects distinctive to the dosage ime. I've seen many say they had no luck with amanita, saying you can't go anywhere with amanitas - which I honestly don't know, all I know is what I'd experienced at the dosage I had from the fresh one's I'd picked and I know if I'd ate maybe 1/2 cap, or say 3/4 cap - I think I could've went into a space I'd never been. Take it for what you will. Cheers

Ulim
#12 Posted : 10/11/2017 3:41:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tatt wrote:
I remember some friends of mine had mentioned to me years back that 'I better know what I'm picking' because there's d e a d l y look-alikes. :O I know they had mentioned deathcaps, which is kind of funny - because death caps honestly look nothing like the classic red/white or yellow/white amanitas, still don't understand how there'd be confusion there Confused

I saw posts on some forum saying that destroying angels look similar.
My guess that all people just always say "DEATH CAP DEATH CAP DEATH CAP"

One forum member told me that there are "many" similar mushrooms.
But the only thing i found out is that there are amanitas that look very similar which are actually edible and highly regarded as very tasty. But they dont have spots so you can only mistake them if you dont watch for spots.
Those are
Amanita caesarea
Amanita jacksonii
Amanita hemibapha
Amanita zambiana
Amanita ceciliae (Looks close to pantherina but also edible)

The only one that might be mistake and be dangerous is Russula emetica "The sickener" "vomiting russula".
He grows in the same habitat. But its only makin you puke and actually
"The flesh is extremely peppery, but this offensive taste, along with its toxicity, can be removed by parboiling or pickling. Although it used to be widely eaten in Russia and eastern European countries, it is generally not recommended for consumption."
I do think you will either know when eating it raw or you actually detox it the same way you do with muscaria

#13 Posted : 10/11/2017 4:37:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Ulim wrote:
tatt wrote:
I remember some friends of mine had mentioned to me years back that 'I better know what I'm picking' because there's d e a d l y look-alikes. :O I know they had mentioned deathcaps, which is kind of funny - because death caps honestly look nothing like the classic red/white or yellow/white amanitas, still don't understand how there'd be confusion there Confused

I saw posts on some forum saying that destroying angels look similar.
My guess that all people just always say "DEATH CAP DEATH CAP DEATH CAP"

One forum member told me that there are "many" similar mushrooms.
But the only thing i found out is that there are amanitas that look very similar which are actually edible and highly regarded as very tasty. But they dont have spots so you can only mistake them if you dont watch for spots.
Those are
Amanita caesarea
Amanita jacksonii
Amanita hemibapha
Amanita zambiana
Amanita ceciliae (Looks close to pantherina but also edible)

The only one that might be mistake and be dangerous is Russula emetica "The sickener" "vomiting russula".
He grows in the same habitat. But its only makin you puke and actually
"The flesh is extremely peppery, but this offensive taste, along with its toxicity, can be removed by parboiling or pickling. Although it used to be widely eaten in Russia and eastern European countries, it is generally not recommended for consumption."
I do think you will either know when eating it raw or you actually detox it the same way you do with muscaria

Yeah those amanitas, i've seen the jacksoniis and ceciliae for sure here.

I've blanched fresh amanitas before, like 2x15min boils, strain, then lightly saute up with some butter and herbs yum, nice meaty mushroomy taste Very happy

Oh yeah those russulas are all over here. Some with that very similar red, I could see how someone might mistake that if they hadn't read up, though still very different looking to muscarias imho.

Ulim
#14 Posted : 10/11/2017 6:16:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Those russulas can be mistaken if they grow close to amanitas and are slightly withered.

They do look similar enough id say that a mistake can happen.
tumblr_m18su4lPCM1qi77y6.jpg (92kb) downloaded 161 time(s).

pitubo
#15 Posted : 10/11/2017 9:15:04 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Ulim wrote:
They do look similar enough id say that a mistake can happen.

Loong time ago when I first embarked on a journey to collect the mythical fly agaric, I actually managed to return home with a basket full of these. An quick look into the books revealed my errors. That was an excellent start for my mycophile activity in the ensuing years. It is very easy to make bland mistakes, even with a mushroom as prosaic and characterisc as the amanita muscaria. Since that moment, my motto has been to not only know the mushroom one is hunting, but also all of its lookalikes.

Amanita muscaria is delicious, when prepared correctly. I've eaten a lot of them over the years - without complaints. I also like to pick and eat amanita rubescens, if they're not too maggot infested. It can actually be dangerously poisonous if not cooked correctly.

There are deadly amanitas, but these typically get picked by people looking for button mushrooms (agaricus). Sometimes people from tropical origins confuse the deadly amanitas with an edible tropical volvariella species. It is said that the deadly amanitas taste quite good..

AFAIK most russulas won't kill you. Some taste awful or even make you vomit. Others are edible and tasty. The problem with russulas is that there are so many different ones and some are really difficult to tell apart. Never being sure which one they are, I never pick russulas (anymore).

sbios
#16 Posted : 10/12/2017 11:25:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In Baltic regions some weeks back there were lots mushrooms popping up in the wild. Including these amaritas... Love
sbios attached the following image(s):
IMG_5393.JPG (1,706kb) downloaded 140 time(s).
IMG_5395.JPG (1,239kb) downloaded 138 time(s).

#17 Posted : 10/12/2017 2:09:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Very nice find sbios Smile

#18 Posted : 10/12/2017 2:23:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

A few more pics from years back, hiked about 3 miles into this coniferous forest. Tons of muscaria var. guessowiis. The one pic is after a hard rain, which is kinda funny because those felt-like spots can just wash away and slide right off the cap Razz, so thennnn it kinda becomes hard to distinguish from the more dangerous look-alikes, though still clear differences in the cap color/cap texture, stipe/stipe texture, annulus, etc.

On a sidenote. The last pic is from that same year, wasn't even looking for these but found some gymnopilus junonius's. Came out to almost 10g dried, cracker dry. Spore print rust brown.

○ attached the following image(s):
photo1.jpg (96kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
photo4.jpg (181kb) downloaded 131 time(s).
photo2.jpg (120kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
photo3.jpg (98kb) downloaded 130 time(s).

sbios
#19 Posted : 10/14/2017 10:51:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tatt wrote:
Very nice find sbios Smile

Thanks! I've got help. Made couple prints and they are creamy white in color. Rolling eyes

Legarto Rey
#20 Posted : 10/14/2017 1:07:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

You guys have prep and consumption information? My single experience was with Eastern European dried caps, @15g, gently heated in @16oz water for @1h. Consumed the tea, took a @1h nap, then woke up to a powerful but odd state of awareness. I too live where, var guesowii, are plentiful.

Check out: ambrosiasociety.org

Peace

12NEXT