We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Coleus & Dmt Options

Justintime
#1 Posted : 10/7/2017 11:10:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am curious if any one has consumed coleus before smoking DMT or added to an aya type mixture? Also has any one tried an Maoi before using coleus?
Justintime attached the following image(s):
20171007_163814.jpg (3,148kb) downloaded 315 time(s).
.....Your....head...is..in.your(head0daeh)ruoy.ni..si...deah....ruoY.....

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

DreaMTripper
#2 Posted : 10/8/2017 8:14:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Why? Not being trolly but what's with coleus?

Sakkadelic
#3 Posted : 10/8/2017 9:06:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DreaMTripper wrote:
Why? Not being trolly but what's with coleus?

it's mildly psychoactive, tea produces vivid dreams, at least that's what i have read.
tried coleus changa, i don't think it's possible to notice any difference when combined with DMT
coleus + MAOI might be interesting
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 10/8/2017 11:25:44 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I have obtained interesting results from coleus alone on occasion but the results were inconsistent, unreliable and hard to quantify. I would suggest making your own working relationship with the plant if you're really interested.

IIRC, my best results came from smoking it in combination with californian poppy stamens (Eschscholzia californica). YMMV.

I never tried it with DMT nor MAOI. It's a lovely plant to grow and care for, though. One of mine is over six years old now - they grow into small shrubs given enough time. If grown indoors they tend to make a bit of a mess as the flowers produce a lot of nectar and then drop off in equal abundance. A bit like children in some way Smile

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

exquisitus
#5 Posted : 1/24/2018 10:05:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

coleus is apparently quite popular in russia.
combined with maois (usually rue, but also pharmacy bought antidepressants) it's called "koliaska" i presume prononced "kAliaska", which means carriage as in horse drawn carriage, obviously coming from "coleus" + "-aska". info from "the central committee of the psychonauts", i kid ya not.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 1/26/2018 4:54:12 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Thanks for the info tidbit!

My six-year-old coleus finally died recently. It may have lasted longer had I repotted it last year - but I still have rooted cuttings going so the plant lives on! Also I have seeds and a self-seeded offspring. Maybe one day I'll get round to doing something with the large bag of dried leaves I've collected over the years.

Time for a ride in the koliaska? Smile

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

exquisitus
#7 Posted : 1/27/2018 4:30:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

yeah, keep us posted. if it works, plz send me some seedlings, so i could verify your findings.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 1/31/2018 2:04:34 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Coleus plants are a readily available garden ornamental. It should be very easy to get hold of some. I bought mine at a florist's shop, IIRC.

Cinnamonrollz
#9 Posted : 2/7/2018 12:25:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I used to make all my changa with dried coleus leaves and a maoi. It has a smooth, earthy smoke that helps mask the offensive taste of spice. My experiences were all quite lovely. Give it a go if you must.

Justintime
#10 Posted : 2/10/2018 11:56:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have quite a bit of seeds from last year. This year I'm going to have a lot of plants.

Justintime
#11 Posted : 6/8/2018 3:56:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Aiwass wrote:
I’m not sure of any accounts of taking Coleus in combination with DMT or as an ayahuasca admixture. However I am curious about what psychoactive compounds are present in the Coleus leaves, as far as I know they have not been isolated, identified and tested. It seems to be a very unreliable plant as far as psychoactive compound production goes.

The only DMT related use of Coleus I can imagine is as material to be impregnated with DMT for ease of smoking. I would avoid using it as an ayahuasca admixture until more is known and understood about this plant, at the very least some experimentation is necessary first. Drying and smoking the leaves, making tea, extracting potential active compounds, etc. I think Coleus has active compounds though they are most likely present in only minuscule amounts and because of this extraction is the only viable method that could result in a usable substance. Whatever these compounds are they should be understood before mixing it with other plants to avoid any potentially negative interactions.

Painted Nettle
by Keith Cleversley | Jan 1, 2002 | Plants | 3 comments

Coleus blumei - Painted NettleFAMILY: Lamiaceae (Mint Family)

GENUS: Coleus

SPECIES: Blumei

COMMON NAMES: Buntblatt, Buntnessel, Coleus Scutellaires, El Ahijado, El Nene, Flame Nettle, Manto de la Virgen, Painted Nettle, Patharcheer.

This annual plant is well known amongst horticulturists and amateur gardeners alike, as it is a prized as an easy-to-grow houseplant and hardy outdoor ornamental. C. blumei produces many tiny beautiful flowers and has colorful kaleidoscopic leaves. In the wild, Coleus blumei can grow up 3 feet (1 meter) tall, and about 1 foot (1/3 meter) around. The leaves are oval shaped with rounded tooth edges and brightly colored, with green edges and blood-red veins in the center as well as many splotches of dark red, maroon, and brown. The flowers are very small, grow along a central stem, and range from light mauve to violet in color. Coleus blumei first originated in Southeast Asia and the Philippines, but was transplanted in the tropical regions of Mexico and has since become well known amongst the Mazatec Indians for its psychoactive properties (Ratsch 198, 181).

TRADITIONAL USES: El Ahijado was first studied by Gordon Wasson while he was searching Southern Mexico for the mythical psychoactive plant used by the Aztecs known as Pipiltzintzintli. During Wasson’s expedition through the Sierra Madre Mazateca region, not only did he discover the ritual use of Salvia divinorum as a hallucinogen, but he also learned of the use of Coleus blumei as a potent substitute for Salvia. When Salvia divinorum, La Hembra (the Woman) was unavailable, the shaman would use the leaves and flowers of C. blumei, El Ahijado (the Godson) in its place (Schultes 1970).

For centuries, the Mazatec Indians of southwestern Mexico have known and used El Ahijado in their religious healing ceremonies. In traditional Mazatec communities, Coleus blumei is considered ‘the male’ (El Ahijado) and Salvia divinorum is considered ‘the female’ (La Hembra). However, shamans and healers tend to use Coleus blumei only when they are unable to procure Salvia divinorum.

C. blumei is also reportedly smoked as a substitute for Cannabis by the Macumba of Brazil in order to create a trance state and to open themselves up to the god force (Voogelbreinder 2009, 135).

TRADITIONAL PREPARATION: The Mazatec natives tend to consume El Ahijado in two ways, either as a fresh chewable quid of leaves or smoked as a dried leaf. Traditionally, eight to twelve small leaves are freshly picked from the plant, rolled into a quid and chewed, the juices are swallowed, and after 15 – 20 minutes the used quid is discarded and exchanged for fresh leaves (Hofmann et al. 1992). In other Mazatec communities the leaves and flowers are gathers and dried and the resulting herbs are crushed and mixed with tobacco or Tagetes lucida (Mexican Tarragon) to be smoked.

MEDICINAL USES: Traditionally, Coleus blumei has been used to treat many common ailments. Most commonly, the Mazatec used this magical herb to treat stomach pains, digestive problems, dysentery, and even elephantiasis. In other parts of the world the plant is used to treat headaches and ulcers and as a contraceptive to prevent pregnancy (Voogelbreinder 2009, 135).

TRADITIONAL EFFECTS: Very little is currently known about the active principle alkaloids in Coleus blumei, and much more research still must be done on this plant and its role as an entheogen. Fortunately, there has been a strong increase in interest in the plant and there are more scientific studies underway. What is known is that the plant contains Diterpene alkaloids. It is currently hypothesized that when Diterpenes are dried and exposed to high temperatures the structure changes to resemble the active alkaloids present in Salvia divinorum. This is still just a supposition, however (Ratsch 1998, 182).

Many people report that small doses of El Ahijado are very similar to small doses of Salvia divinorum. These effects include increased pulse, a feeling of bodily heaviness, lights appearing before the eyes, and so forth. This is certainly a powerful shamanic traveling plant and must be studied with care. Similar to many other plants, like Salvia divinorum and Cannabis sativa, the effects of Coleus blumei are not usually felt after the first trial. Rather, it take several attempts and great knowledge of the plant to fully feel its inebriating effects (Ratsch 1998, 182).

There is still much debate as to the efficacy and potentiality of Coleus blumei. There are many reports from reputable ethnobotanists and ethnopharmacologists suggesting that they have experienced little to no effects when working with this plant. As is often the case, the journey is always viewed through the lense of previous experiences (Schuldes 1995 cited in Ratsch 1998, 182).

REFERENCES

Faucon, Philippe. 2005. Coleus, Flame Nettle, Painted Nettle. Desert-Tropicals.com

Lemke, Cal. 2004. Coleus Blumei Hybrid Lamiaceae. plantoftheweek.org

Ratsch, Christian. 2005. The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants: Ethnopharmacology and Its Applications. Park Street Press; Rochester, VT.

Schultes, R.E. “The New World Indians and Their Hallucinogenic Plants.” Bulletin of the Morris Arboretum 21 (1970): 3–14.

Schultes, Richard E; Hofmann, Albert; Ratsch, Christian. 2001. Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing and Hallucinogenic Powers. Healing Arts Press; Rochester, VT.

Voogelbreinder, Snu, Garden of Eden: The Shamanic Use of Psychoactive Flora and Fauna, and the Study of Consciousness. Snu Voogelbreinder, 2009.

Aiwass
#12 Posted : 6/8/2018 11:29:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for that literature Justintime! I appreciate it. It’s been a long time since I did any sort of research on Coleus Blumei and that kind of sparked my interest in it again. This plant should definitely be studied much more, I would be particularly interested in those Diterpenes if they are in fact similar in structure to the compounds in Salvia Divinorum (A Salvinorin is the only one I can recall at this time). Either way, it’s always fascinating to learn about ethnobotanicals, just imagine how many are lost or waiting to be found.

Aiwass
#13 Posted : 7/8/2018 8:22:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Justintime wrote:
I am curious if any one has consumed coleus before smoking DMT or added to an aya type mixture? Also has any one tried an Maoi before using coleus?

I have no experience regarding the consumption of Coleus prior to ingesting DMT or as a component of an Ayahuasca mixture or in combination with an MAOI but I would caution anyone against such an admixture until much more is understood about the chemical composition of Coleus. I believe the type of Coleus that is desired in this context is known as Coleus Blumei, the Mazatec people claimed this plant was an alternative to Salvia Divinorum when their preferred ceremonial plant could not be obtained for whatever reason. Unfortunately this is the most concrete evidence for this plant having any significant psychoactivity as far as I have seen. There is some mention in the literature of Diterpene compounds present in this plant that may be similar to the compounds found in Salvia Divinorum, particularly Salvinorin A. However this appears to be completely speculation and much more work with this plant must be done. Until this work is done and we understand this plant a lot more I would hesitate to recommend anyone start experimenting with it in Ayahuasca mixtures or anything like that. That being said, I think this plant could be safely utilized as a component of a smoking mixture or something along those lines. One of the reasons I am so skeptical of this particular plant is that it is a common garden/house plant which means its genetic composition is likely drastically different than those of the literature describing the Mazated utilization of this plant.

Overall though I would assume that this plant is generally speaking harmless and also lacking of any compounds that would be of interest. But that is just my personal thoughts on Coleus, perhaps it is actually a very interesting plant chemically speaking and if that is the case I look forward to more publications pertaining to this.