We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Long Term Storage Options

DisEmboDied
#1 Posted : 9/26/2017 9:28:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I know this question is as old as dirt, but how does one store a decent amount of dry mushrooms for long term storage? I looked this question up on the net and there are many, many answers with no true consensus. So I am here to ask the experts.

Like long term storage for a couple of years.

Dried mushrooms in freezer in a mason jar?

Just in a cool, dry place?

Use a Foodsaver to suck all of the air out?

Or, ???....

Peace, Love, and Light!
Meditate before you venture, take it seriously, use it as medicinal—it is good psychotherapy if needed. Realize that you, the Earth, others, and the Universe are all one and the same process. Then take that knowledge back to become, as you already are, one with nature. Eternity in every moment. Divinity in every particle. All is one organism.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

sauSage
#2 Posted : 9/26/2017 10:00:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you dont' care about the fruits being crushed I'd recommend a vacuum sealer. cram a bag full of fungus and a silica gel pack then vacuum seal it.

ps
"The brain is a reducing valve that restricts consciousness" - A Huxley

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" – Ralph Waldo Emerson…

"Whatever you study you also change" - Heisenberg Uncertainty principle

Orion
#3 Posted : 9/26/2017 10:45:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Years and years if dried fully by being air dried then stored with anhydrous Epsom salt in the same airtight container until absolutely void of all moisture. And then left some more... And then stored in an airtight mason jar in the freezer.

I've heard reports of 10 years with full activity, and I feel they would last even longer. Possibly even a lifetime ? Why store them for that long though... get them into ya !Drool
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#4 Posted : 9/26/2017 10:56:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you use glass jars instead of bags you will not crush your contents. Get glass jars with screw on lids that have a seal and can be punctured with a small hole through the lid. Mason jars are great for this. Search for a pump n' seal system, they are around $30. It will come with a hand pump and around 100 strips to seal the small hole in the lid. You can use these jars to pull a vacuum on the stuff you store inside. For Cannabis I place a Bovida packet to regulate humidity into the glass jar, then the Cannabis, then pull a vacuum on it and store it in a cool dry place with no sunlight. Your product should store the same, although I would not add a Bovida packet to it.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Elrik
#5 Posted : 9/27/2017 5:10:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I never saw the harm in crushing dried mushrooms. They are crushed by my teeth in the end anyway. I break mine up so they pack better.
Cracker dry and sealed air tight stored in the freezer without any other precautions preserved mine for 3 years.
If you go for bags the thicker the better. Bags tend to get punctured in freezers over years because of ice crystals on things that get moved around.
Regardless if you use bags or jars dont forget to let them warm up to room temperature before opening or moisture will condense inside when theyre exposed to the air.

If planning for many years desiccant is worthwhile. You can get loose desiccant in the dried flower section of hobby stores and tie some into a coffee filter with string like its a bag.

Anhydrous magnesium sulfate was mentioned as a desiccant. If you try making that from epsom salts be warned that it will boil and make a mess in your oven if your not careful with the heat.