We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First successful extraction Options

5-HT2a
#1 Posted : 9/24/2017 9:18:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So a little bit of background first: I first smoked dmt last year, I think in August. I had told a hippie friend of mine I had wanted to try it for a while now. Fast forward to one day when my brother and I went to pick him up from a festival, he surprised me by telling me to hold out my tongue, at which point he placed 4 hits of L in my mouth. It wasn't until we had gotten back and I was peaking that he told me he got some dmt for me. He's pretty experienced with psychedelics having done ten strips and such and I guess he had decided it was time I stop playing in the kiddie pool and finally go off the deep end. I had told him before I wanted to experience high doses but wasn't sure I was ready. Anyway, that was still one of the most significant days off my life, completely Earth shattering and rejuvenating.

Words can't describe the significance of the experience, let alone the experience itself. Soon after this I gained an interest in extracting, and after a small time of reading I became passionate about chemistry.

I have tried extracting one other time, using mimosa hostilis, but it did not work out. This was only a few months after my first dmt experience. Looking back, I don't think I added enough base, as there was a thick middle layer of insolubles that formed after basing. This was almost a year ago.

A long period of time went after that extraction before I was finally in a position where I could carry out the extraction safely and decided to give it another go. I have been studying chemistry all this time and I am very familiar with all the concepts that go into the extraction, so I was much more confident this time around.

I decided to start off with only 50g until I knew I could pull it off. I tried to be patient, but as I would move onto the next step I would see where I could have been more meticulous. It was all a great learning experience, but it did not come out the way I was hoping. When I freeze precipitated the naphtha, I was left with some gooey orange stuff that looked a lot like pull n snap. I immediately recrystallized and was left with about 800 mg of some still not so great looking stuff. I believe there was quite a bit of basic solution still in it somehow.
After this I did a sodium carbonate wash and got about 400 mg of some much better looking great orangish yellow crystals. I unfortunately did not take a picture here but to me it still was not exceptional. I didn't come all this way for some mediocre spice. I wasn't worried about yields, only making the highest dmt I could.

I decided I must not have been thorough with my defats and I would try an a/b wash.
I dissolved 340 mg (I stupidly tried placing the 400mg in front of a fan and a bunch flew onto the ground, I was only able to salvage so much) in naphtha in a test tube, extracted with a few mls vinegar 3x and placed the extractions in another test tube. I washed 2x with naphtha and then boiled some of the vinegar of before adding NaOH. Once everything had precipitated, I extracted 3x with naphtha. I placed this in a 50 ml beaker and placed it in the fridge overnight. When I woke up I put it in the freezer until I got home from work. After pouring off the naphtha and letting it dry for a couple hours, I was left with 220 mg of the most beautiful crystals I have ever seen in person.
I sampled a small amount last night and it is very potent, tastes extremely clean, and feels very clear headed. I am extremely proud of the results and can't wait to try again. I'm hoping for similar quality but at a much higher yield.
"There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."
-William James, under the effects of nitrous oxide

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

5-HT2a
#2 Posted : 9/24/2017 9:21:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also, has anyone else had problems finding the questionnaire? I understand it is supposed to be at the top of the page, but it is not for me. I answered quite a few questions when I first registered before saving my answers and ever since then I haven't been able to find it. This forum is amazing but I don't really care to stay in the welcome area forever, ya know? Any help would be very appreciated.
"There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."

muladharma
#3 Posted : 9/24/2017 9:45:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

5-HT2a wrote:
Also, has anyone else had problems finding the questionnaire? I understand it is supposed to be at the top of the page, but it is not for me. I answered quite a few questions when I first registered before saving my answers and ever since then I haven't been able to find it. This forum is amazing but I don't really care to stay in the welcome area forever, ya know? Any help would be very appreciated.

Try this link or look for the QUESTIONNAIRE button at the top, should be to the right of ART and left of ATTITUDE.
Find the wisdom to practice loving-kindness.

5-HT2a
#4 Posted : 9/24/2017 10:09:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Try this link or look for the QUESTIONNAIRE button at the top, should be to the right of ART and left of ATTITUDE.

Thank you very much, the link worked. Although I don't think I'm seeing the banner or whatever it is that everyone else is for some reason. I am on a smartphone if that affects things.