We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Growing Xtals Options

Portals2Eternity
#1 Posted : 8/30/2017 2:05:21 PM
"You have to see to believe!"

So I completed cybs hybrid salt tek, with earthwalkers mini a/b on 100g mh.

I'm currently stocked up fairly well with spice, so I've got the time to allow proper crystal formation.

So after doing the mini a/b, with 5 pulls (250ml), I put in a seed crystal (more like a pile of 2x reX'd fb powder) and put in a cool dark place to slowly evaporate.

But peeking at the evap container (which isn't the usual Pyrex dish I use to pre-evaporate for FP, but rather a 250ml beaker), it seems that MAYBE 5ml evaped in 24hrs!

So I took the saran wrap with pinholes in it off the beaker, in favor of screen (like that on a screen door) to hopefully encourage faster evaporation.

I'm thinking maybe I should've evaporated half or so prior to leaving undisturbed for a prolonged period. But my question is: is what I'm doing ok? Will this take close to a month or more? If so, will this oxidize the product due to prolonged contact with air?

Due to my previous extraction with the same amount of bark, I'm thinking there's roughly 1.5 grams in the 250ml.

All help would be greatly appreciated. Again to reiterate, I'm in no hurry, and simply want to grow large crystals. However, I would like to manipulate the conditions to do this in a REASONABLE time period < or = 15days(ish)...
"Behind the visible are chains on chains of conscious beings ... who have no inherent form but change according to their whim, or the mind that sees them. You cannot lift your hand without influencing and being influenced by hordes. The visible world is merely their skin. In dreams we go amongst them ... They are, perhaps, human souls in the crucible - these creatures of whim." - W. B. Yeats, Irish Fairy and Folk Tales

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ananda7519
#2 Posted : 8/30/2017 2:42:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Think about the surface area and gas exchange in a beaker as opposed to a casserole dish. It will take forever to evap in a beaker. Put it in a flat plate or dish with a cool fan blowing over it.
The storm can not hurt the sky.

Portals2Eternity
#3 Posted : 8/30/2017 3:20:29 PM

Ananda7519 wrote:
Think about the surface area and gas exchange in a beaker as opposed to a casserole dish. It will take forever to evap in a beaker. Put it in a flat plate or dish with a cool fan blowing over it.

That's what I was conveying when I laid out my parameters above. As I said, I usually use a Pyrex dish because I hadn't had the luxury to concentrate solely on the cosmetics of the extract.

As my aim is to grow (large) crystals, I'm not trying to do anything to rush crystal formation.

I'm just not trying to uneccesarily wait excessively long.

So is a fan necessary? Wouldn't it disturb crystal formation?

And what is the ideal container for this specific purpose?

Ty!
"Behind the visible are chains on chains of conscious beings ... who have no inherent form but change according to their whim, or the mind that sees them. You cannot lift your hand without influencing and being influenced by hordes. The visible world is merely their skin. In dreams we go amongst them ... They are, perhaps, human souls in the crucible - these creatures of whim." - W. B. Yeats, Irish Fairy and Folk Tales

AlchemicalGnostic
#4 Posted : 8/30/2017 3:32:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

These crystals were from letting my last pull of an extraction evaporate slowly in a dark cool closet for 3 months.

There might be some oxidized spice in there but it still formed nicely.
AlchemicalGnostic attached the following image(s):
20170709_215948.jpg (3,084kb) downloaded 104 time(s).
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

windchime
#5 Posted : 8/30/2017 3:37:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've let half-pint jars with 100ml slowly evaporate over a month or so. Definitely some oxidation but it did grow large crystals. I didn't do it again because the crystals were so long and brittle that they didn't last very long although it was interesting. Not sure how to obtain the big, dense, ultra-pure crystals I've seen picture of but that would be fun.

Ananda7519
#6 Posted : 8/30/2017 5:43:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hopefully, someone with a lot more knowledge of chemistry can answer this.

Could you put the beaker in a vacuum chamber under a lite vacuum?

That would make it evap much faster but I have no idea what that would do for crystal formation.
The storm can not hurt the sky.

Ananda7519
#7 Posted : 8/30/2017 5:46:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Portals2Eternity
#8 Posted : 8/30/2017 8:31:08 PM

AlchemicalGnostic wrote:
These crystals were from letting my last pull of an extraction evaporate slowly in a dark cool closet for 3 months.

There might be some oxidized spice in there but it still formed nicely.

Beautiful! That's definitely the direction I'd like to go in, but 3 months?! I'd just like to cut down on that time if possible.

With your crystal formation:
How much solvent did you use?
How much spice was retrieved?
What temp did it evaporate in?

If their is an ideal container, amount of solvent per amount of spice, it'd be nice to ascertain that info.

But again, great job on your result!

Portals2Eternity
#9 Posted : 8/30/2017 8:34:19 PM

windchime wrote:
I've let half-pint jars with 100ml slowly evaporate over a month or so. Definitely some oxidation but it did grow large crystals. I didn't do it again because the crystals were so long and brittle that they didn't last very long although it was interesting. Not sure how to obtain the big, dense, ultra-pure crystals I've seen picture of but that would be fun.

Well, I believe I've got the 'ultra-pure' aspect down, I just need help with the obtaining of the characteristics of big & dense...

Portals2Eternity
#10 Posted : 8/30/2017 9:51:03 PM

Very good. I think my best course is to evap completely, retrieve crystals, dissolve in minimal amount of solvent (20-25ml/gram heptane), and allow to evaporate from that state. Much more feasible than 250ml, plus more lab-specific, I believe.

Hopefully, large xtal growth will occur.

If anyone else has anything to contribute...

Thank you. Thumbs up