We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Iron powder mishap Options

Auxin
#1 Posted : 8/16/2017 12:12:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Long story short, harmine/harmaline hydrochloride in 5% acetic acid was inadvertently reacted with iron powder. It had been labeled zinc powder and I was distracted so it was an hour before I noticed that the stir bar was clearly not behaving properly and removed the iron from the mixture.
I'm doing a manske on it now to get it in stable form while I wait on an ounce of ultra-pure zinc powder from a friend.

My question is, is there any reasonable basis for me to assume that unwanted alkaloids may have formed by means of the acid and iron reaction. I faintly remember something about iron or copper catalyzing unusual reactions [hydroxylation or something] with ß-carbolines but I cant remember the context of the reactions or which advanced O-chem text book I saw it in.

It was an ounce of harmine/harmaline that was affected, and while I have a quarter kilo of P. harmala seeds on hand, and the next harvest approaching, I would hate to loose such a large quantity. If there is cause to worry I could just accept the loss, I just cant decide if I'm over reacting.

Thoughts?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 8/16/2017 9:59:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure about possible reactions but you could test with TLC, that should be easy enough to give you a good idea if something happened

Mindlusion
#3 Posted : 8/16/2017 7:54:36 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

No, its unlikely iron catalyzed any different reactions there. If anything, it would act as a reducing agent similar to zinc. But probably too weak to do the job in this case.

Fe/HCl is common oldschool method for reducing aromatics nitro groups

I have seen beta-carboline ligands used in different metal catalyzed reactions, but not sure what you saw there, if you find it post it here I will give you my take on it
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Auxin
#4 Posted : 8/16/2017 8:48:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Smile
Thats the answer I expected, its just nice to have a second opinion Wink