We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is solipsism a trap? Options

TMK
#1 Posted : 8/15/2017 2:46:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can anyone share some personal insight into experiencing the convincing feelings of it all being about you? Is this a trap our minds create in an attempt to ground us? The last couple times I felt convinced. Something like the Truman show. Any insight would be helpful.
Space is a thing, not a place where you put things.- Terence McKenna

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

spacexplorer
#2 Posted : 8/15/2017 5:47:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I get this exact same thing...but if I get it...and you get it too...then we must all be having it so it can't really be about just one person? its about every one person individually but it all joins together somehow as a group eventually...

joedirt
#3 Posted : 8/15/2017 10:17:15 PM

Not I

TMK wrote:
Can anyone share some personal insight into experiencing the convincing feelings of it all being about you? Is this a trap our minds create in an attempt to ground us? The last couple times I felt convinced. Something like the Truman show. Any insight would be helpful.

I think it's worth defining terms before diving to far down a philosophical rabbit hole. Pleased

Can I ask a simple question? Can you accurately describe what you are? I'm looking for specific details. Like what are you composed of? What is it essence wise that you refer to as yourself?

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

Naut
#4 Posted : 8/15/2017 11:55:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll try to flesh out my given thoughts a bit...

One could put it that we are made of numerous "building blocks" that seem to grant hierarchical layers of sophistication all centered on this moving experience of a first-person point of view. This unique perspective that existence managed to produce in varying forms I think is the root of self (with varying degrees). With us being hyper-cerebral monkeys we happen to get a heavily egoic personal self... we have the ability of self-reflection, choice-making, complex emotions, etc. Regardless of these over-convincing features our image of self isn't tangible. We still consist of these numerous building blocks that fall apart and decompose into Earth/reality once the show is over. In relation to self, this seems to perhaps be what ego-death experiences are predicated on, an abstracted house of cards that dramatically collapses.

Your organized center feeds "you", and "you" are charismatically magnetized to your organism. Based on my experiences with psychs I am encouraged to say that it is a sort of grounding mechanism in times of despairing self-apocalypse.

During the mundane experience, for myself, it's nothing to be existentially distraught over, it's like playing a role-playing game (an incredible one beyond words).. except you are the player.

So if it was your DMT voyages that spawned these moving experiences which in turn brings you to this post, try to ponder my gist: Our reality breeds deeply personal experiences, perhaps built upon something more omni. And that possibility of the omni is a wonderful thing to think about when stuck on yourself. Maybe your future will shed light onto that other edge of the sword. Thumbs up
my loopy guess is that t. mckenna is off hopping about hyperspace wielding a butterfly net analog, all the while collecting the most peculiar.

Mindlusion
#5 Posted : 8/16/2017 12:50:05 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I think it is a trap in a sense.

The experience is real, but the fatal flaw comes in interpretation.

Solzhenitsyn wrote in The Gulag Archipelago that:

Quote:
Every single person is a center of the world.

and

Quote:
The Universe has as many different centers as there are living beings in it. Each of us is the center of the Universe, and that Universe is shattered when they hiss at you,

A center. not THE center. The universe is a complicated place, it may very well have lots of centers, and you very well might be one of them.

This same sentiment/experience has been echoed through all history of the worlds great religious traditions, what comes to mind immediately is that of christ proclaiming "I am a/the son of god"

As well as in buddhist and hindu traditions, it is even more apparent in the examination of Indra's Net.

The "Messiah Complex" could actually be related, following a similar misinterpretation. One realizes that he is the center of the universe and that he is god, and mistakes it for being only him. If you go to a hindu or buddhist temple proclaiming that "you are god", instead of arresting you and locking you up in a mental hospital, they might just reply "Oh, you've finally realized!"

The mistake in solipsism is to assume, if your the center of the universe, then your actions bear no responsibility. If you are indeed A center of the universe, then every action you take brings the entire cosmos one step closer to annihilation, or, with appropriate action, one step further from it.. While shouldering that responsibility is a terrible burden, in return comes a meaningful and powerful mode of existence.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

TMK
#6 Posted : 8/16/2017 4:08:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for your replies. You have all given me something to add to my thoughts on this. I can not honestly define what I am when all the matter that makes up my body is stripped away. But in a DMT flash, I see what logically is useless, to the physical "me". So it must be there for the benefit of what is left of "me". The feeling that this is a simulation of some strange sort, where I am somehow in the centre, I can only conclude to be useless. Even if I were at the centre, it is pointless to pursue the thoughts, as they can not be useful when I return.
I will try to let these thoughts and feelings pass through.
It is good to hear I'm not alone with this.
Space is a thing, not a place where you put things.- Terence McKenna

spacexplorer
#7 Posted : 8/16/2017 7:06:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TMK wrote:
Thank you for your replies. You have all given me something to add to my thoughts on this. I can not honestly define what I am when all the matter that makes up my body is stripped away. But in a DMT flash, I see what logically is useless, to the physical "me". So it must be there for the benefit of what is left of "me". The feeling that this is a simulation of some strange sort, where I am somehow in the centre, I can only conclude to be useless. Even if I were at the centre, it is pointless to pursue the thoughts, as they can not be useful when I return.
I will try to let these thoughts and feelings pass through.
It is good to hear I'm not alone with this.

Definitely not alone, I've had that same exact experience of reality being "all for me", knowing someone else has it too kind of confirms my thought that it wasn't really the case. Perhaps we are all somehow inhabiting our own universe and even though the universes may seem to...conflict with each other...you can really define your own universe if you wish...or so I'd like to think Big grin Maybe we all get our own individual little universe bubble.