We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Contaminated with pH buffer Options

ijahdan
#1 Posted : 7/31/2017 2:11:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In the process of separating harmine/harmaline, I accidently added a few ml (maybe 2 or 3) of pH 4 buffer solution instead of ammonia. Carried on with ammonia and got the precipitation done, but now Im a bit concerned about buffer contamination. I asked for an MSDS for the product but havent heard back from the supplier. It was an unbranded generic type powder. I added some ammonia to a glassful of it to see if anything precipitated, but nothing did, so Im fairly confident itll remain in solution and be washed away when I rinse my harmala freebase.

Anyone have any experience/tips about this?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Nereus
#2 Posted : 7/31/2017 5:48:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ijahdan wrote:
Im fairly confident itll remain in solution and be washed away when I rinse my harmala freebase.

This ^

If you are still skeptic about it,add a couple more a/b cycles to it. Whatever that buffer is, it is water soluble and it can be diluted. I'd also filter the extracts well and squeeze the paper filters between paper towels to remove any excess liquid.

Ulim
#3 Posted : 7/31/2017 7:23:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are many buffers. Some are even "edible" (Citrate, Phosphate)
If you get datasheet you will be able to tell if you should flush or keep.

ijahdan
#4 Posted : 8/1/2017 9:00:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Datasheet never came, but Ive done a few rinses, so shouldnt be much buffer left. Just panicked a bit when I looked at the MSDS's for various brands of buffer, and found that some of them contain several different chemicals, including phthalates, which I wouldnt want to ingest. Anyway, Ive learned the importance of labelling chemicals clearly. All those jam jars look the same..