We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Used HPLC System an option for a layman? Options

Aum_Shanti
#1 Posted : 7/8/2017 9:06:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A question to the chemists here:

If one would have the option to get an older HPLC system quite cheap from a lab.
Would that make any sense?
E.g. currently I could get a Jasco gradient unit, pump and UV/Vis detector quite cheaply.
But what would be needed to run it?
I think one would certainly need the column and then the additional stuff for tube wiring.
Is that generally cheaply available and doable without years of studying?

Also how would one connect such old HW to analyze the output.
E.g. the detector would be a Jasco UV-975, and I couldn't find anywhere some SW or a handbook about it. Where would one find such things?

So would it generally make sense to buy such old stuff from labs (which have used these), or should one rather forget this option...
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mindlusion
#2 Posted : 7/9/2017 12:41:48 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

It can be done, there is a member here who actually has done this. But its project that you could get done in a weekend. Maybe when he (benzyme) comes back you can ask him.

But its no simple investment, be prepared to invest at least that of a used car in ordering new parts, tools, etc. Troubleshooting the machine itself is a whole another investment as well, the time it takes to get to know the machine, there is always some problem that needs to be addressed even in brand new machines, let alone old ones.

HPLC also needs dedicated gas cylinders, nitrogen and helium, for running the pumps and sparging the solvent for the samples..

So not cheaply, not easily, I expect if your a working person it would take up nearly all of your hobby time to get it up and running in a reasonable amount of time (6 months maybe).

Definitely talk to benzyme if you get the chance, hehe he knows exactly how to answer your questions.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Aum_Shanti
#3 Posted : 7/9/2017 8:30:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much for your answer.
Unfortunately not what I hoped to hear.
I hoped HPLC wouldn't need that much stuff as GC.
It would've been too easy and cheap that way, it seems...Big grin
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.